Traction Control Needed...

-
UPDATE!

I took the Scamp to the track on 10/12 (the 3rd column). Here are the results.

Most recent run:
  • 60': 2.181
  • 330': 6.033
  • 1/8 E.T.: 9.178
  • 1/8 Trap: 78.00
  • 1000': 11.895
  • 1/4 E.T.: 14.179
  • 1/4 Trap: 99.01
7milesout
The fuel problem: All runs after this one it was vapor locking.

Here I am, some 6 months later. And not sure I've got the problem resolved. In my defense, El Scampo has had another couple problems that had to be sorted first. The biggest being it was pegging the ammeter. I have resolved that issue (another thread). Another problem that was resolved as of yesterday was that my AFR gauge has been on the fritz. I replaced it as of yesterday and all is good now. Another small issue too, and now I'm ready for a track day.

Here's the kicker. The very next day after I deepened the puddles, the AFR gauge stopped working. By deepening the puddles, what I mean is, I bent the floats up by an 8th. I can't remember the numbers exactly but it seems like the suggested setting of the floats is to set them at 7/16ths (using a 7/16ths drill bit as a guide). That's where I had set it. To the T, by the book.

However, I had done some reading and many guys had successfully increased the amount of fuel in their bowls which extended the amount of time it took to deplete the bowl. In most cases it gave them enough extra fuel to complete the 1/4 mile before the lack of effective replacement depleted the bowl. So I raised the float height by 1/8th of an inch.

I had suspected it would throw off the AFRs a skosh. But, I only got one drive before the AFR crapped out, and it appeared to richen things up significantly. Yesterday's drive confirmed it was much richer. I tuned the idle AFRs back to ~13.3. But now at WOT it's at less than 10.0 AFR. So … I have some tuning to do! No problemo, I will be retuning. I'm going to try to make it back to the track on June 7th.

7milesout

-
Back