Tranny Fluid Everywhere - The Horror...

-

redrag64

Reaction score
Got back from a camping trip and found a blood bath under my 64 Dart (a recent purchase). First I thought it was the tranny pan gasket, but when I looked closer, it looks like it is coming from one of the cable housings (from the push button tranny) is really frayed and exposing the cable(about a 4" section).

I am a newbie and don't know jack about trannies, so I have a few questions. Does the tranny fluid run through those cables? Are the cables readily available (and if so, where)? Is the a way to re-sleeve a portion, or the entire length of the cable housing? Bottom line - do you think the cable housing is the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

Attached is a picture of the cable/housing. Your input is greatly appreciated!

DSCN4958.JPG

DSCN4957.JPG

No tranny fluid in the cables. Look up Imperial services. (on the net). They have your fix most likely.

concerned though if the cable might be rubbing on the tranny cooler line. Looks like that cable was rubbing on the torsion bar so it goes to say that the tranny cooler line might have done the same thing.

concerned though if the cable might be rubbing on the tranny cooler line. Looks like that cable was rubbing on the torsion bar so it goes to say that the tranny cooler line might have done the same thing.

So I guess I still need to find the source of the leak. I'll take a closer look, but the cooler line looks okay. The search goes on. Thanks for your input!

yeah, youd be amazed at how far oil will travel before it actually starts to leak....
it could leak off of someplace and drip onto something else and follow that down aways and end up not even close to where it is actually leaking.

Do I need to worry about the cable housing, or will a little electrical tape do the trick?

well, over time it might rust and break. U cant be sure of when this will happen.
Ur prob. good for a while but I would save up for a new one. Temp fix, slice a rubber fuel line andwrap it around it, then tape it up. (elec, tap can get "gummy" and might gum up the inside of the cable over time).

First thing you need to do is clean it all up and see what's going on.
once you get it cleaned, "think like fluid".. what I mean is, find the place you have wet fluid, and follow it up and forward till you have none, remember, when you are driving, you usually have air blowing back, so, the fluid would get blown towards the rear of the car, you also have gravity pulling it down so, your leak may well be up and forward of where you find wet fluid.

Good points here. I once thought I have a rear end leak.

Turns out it was my power steering pump. The small drips would blow back and collect on the differential.

Many years ago,I had a wet cable like that on my the Park cable (rear) of my '65 Newport. The plastic sheath was intact, but might have had small cracks. I sheathed it with tygon tubing and a hose clamp and it hasn't leaked there since (other leaks). My '65 Dart appears to have a similar repair. Can't recall which cable, but the sheath is degraded about the same spot as yours.

I don't recall any seal stops fluid from flowing into the cables, so I think if the sheath fails it will leak. If you do try a tape solution, try self-fusing RTV silicone tape. They use it on F-16's. I think it can handle ~700 F and once cleanly bonded it won't come apart. You can find in hardware stores, but it is expensive. Another idea is "Liquid Electical Tape". Other thoughts are butyl rubber caulk or polyurethane caulk. They are good for water, but not sure about oil.

Many years ago,I had a wet cable like that on my the Park cable (rear) of my '65 Newport. The plastic sheath was intact, but might have had small cracks. I sheathed it with tygon tubing and a hose clamp and it hasn't leaked there since (other leaks). My '65 Dart appears to have a similar repair. Can't recall which cable, but the sheath is degraded about the same spot as yours.

I don't recall any seal stops fluid from flowing into the cables, so I think if the sheath fails it will leak. If you do try a tape solution, try self-fusing RTV silicone tape. They use it on F-16's. I think it can handle ~700 F and once cleanly bonded it won't come apart. You can find in hardware stores, but it is expensive. Another idea is "Liquid Electical Tape". Other thoughts are butyl rubber caulk or polyurethane caulk. They are good for water, but not sure about oil.

So if I'm reading your comments right, you are saying that you had a cable assembly that WAS leaking fluid, which brings me back to my original question - Is there any fluid that runs through the cable/housing. I doesn't seem like there would be, but I want to make sure. Any clarification is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

I dont know about those shift cables. I do know fluid shouldn't travel the speedo cable. It will though if the seal goes bad. Those being cables spinning inside the sheathe will wear right through the side of the sheathe like shown in the pic too.
Is it the speedo cable ? Good luck in any case.

there may not be fluid "flowing" through the cable but, if it is open into a non-pressurized cavity in the trans, and the outer sheath has a hole, it will leak... If that is the case, you might get by with putting something on the outside of the cable to seal it up. There should not be any pressure on it.

10-4 everyone. Keep the info coming. Thanks for your help!

I had an issue on my '64...a guy rebuilt the transmission for me, and forgot to secure the cables. One touched exhaust...it was a mess. I took some fuel line and some sort of sealant (I do not recall what kind for sure), split the fuel line lengthwise, wiped down the cable housing with alcohol, smeared the inside of the fuel line with sealant, and fit it around the cable housing. I think I zip-tied it in place. Drove it for years like that, and it's been in storage for years--never a drop of leak again.

I had an issue on my '64...a guy rebuilt the transmission for me, and forgot to secure the cables. One touched exhaust...it was a mess. I took some fuel line and some sort of sealant (I do not recall what kind for sure), split the fuel line lengthwise, wiped down the cable housing with alcohol, smeared the inside of the fuel line with sealant, and fit it around the cable housing. I think I zip-tied it in place. Drove it for years like that, and it's been in storage for years--never a drop of leak again.

Two weeks ago I got wiggled under the car and figured out that I have exactly the same situation (at some point in the past, the cable slipped out of the bracket that held it snug to the frame, and the housing burnt on the exhaust) , and I tried the exact same fix. Glad to hear it worked for you, and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

-
Back