Trans rebuild?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Never done one myself but have the books and starting on getting the tools the book calls for but am curious on how long one should allow for the build including disassembly and cleaning and reassembly for a 727 or 904? If it were only a day i would find someone close to me and travel to assist and watch a pro do his thing. How long?

frist time it took me about 8 hours its pretty easy just make sure you use a inch pound torque wrench and adjust the bands right you can do it if i was closed i would help if you run into a problem u can call me at 931 261 8227 mike

I have watched tec's do this Small Block, Just take your time and clear off a big work area, and fab up a trans housing holder, It seem like they do allot of the build with the tail shaft facing down.:-k
Stacking clutches in sequence and the valve body work seems to be the
most strategic stuff.:read2:
But like I said, I just watched and seen a good teck do one in one 8 hour shift. Go for it Small Block,:cheers:
I think you can handle it just fine bud.:-D

You can do it! I've done it on the floor of my shop and/or work bench. No special fixtures required. Only one special too needed and I made it out of a block of wood and a piece of threaded rod. The tool required is used to compress one of the clutch packs in order to remove the clutch pack springs. You may need a slide hammer to pull the front pump.

A service manual will give you specs for clearances and remind you of the order in which things need to go in.

The nice thing is that the guts come out and go back in in "chunks". Tear down and reassembly go fairly fast. It's getting everything properly cleaned up that can be time consuming so a parts washer is a bonus. I degrease the case with a pressure washer and chemicals. The shops have a washing maching for this.

i just did my first one this summer. no special tools were needed, c clamps can compress the springs, to replace worn bushings , you need a press or you can split the bushings and hammer in the new ones, the valve body is usually really gunked up and needs to be completely dissassembled and every piston and spring cleaned. you do need feeler gauges, dial indicator, dial calipers, snap ring pliers, you can pull one all the way down in around an hr.
rebuild kits can be had for around $60.00 . no bands would be included at that price tho.

Tried this once. Wound up taking it to the dealership to be done right. Automatics are and will remain a mystery to me. It's so much easier and just as cheap to let a pro handle it.

A piece of unistrut and some threaded rod is the nuts for pulling the pump... the slide hammer seemed a bit too harsh for me.

Bill as the guys said the time consuming part is the clean up. Torqueflites are without a doubt the easiest auto trans to do so disassembly and reassembly is a breeze. Figure on replacing every wear item if you want it to perform it's best and last a long time. www.bulkparts.com is the cheapest place I've found to buy good parts. Just make sure you get everything like thrust washers, bushings, both bands, all clutches and steels and a complete seal kit and filter. Also check and see what front band lever you have and if it's less than 3.8 replace it with a 4.2 and make sure your front clutch has at least 12 springs in it. Doing this will ensure neck snapping shifts without overlap.

BTW: Which book do you have? Reason I ask is because a factory type service manual is ok for a stock type rebuild but for performance it leaves allot on the table. There's a book out by Carl munroe that's light yrs ahead of the factory manual.

Here's a link to it on E-bay but you can find it allot of other places too

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Torqueflite...=39:1|66:2|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If you run into any problems shoot me a pm and I'll send you my ph #. I've rebuilt about 100 for performance and daily use. Tracy

Oh yeah figure 8-12 hrs. to do one right. Some guys say they can do one in 4-5 hrs but I can tell you there taking allot of shortcuts to get it done that fast.

I have the Munroe book setting beside me. That's what i'll use. The parts location you gave me is appreciated. Sounds like you are skilled in this area. I'm not beyond traveling your way and getting a motel for a night or two. When does class begin. I've got several and i figure i can screw up about 8 of em before i have to go pull some more. Just joking. I've got the parts washer and the slide hammers and can fabricate any mounts needed to do this so just tell me what i need. In the Munroe book it specs out some necessary tools. Where will be the best place to get em? Thanks guys and fishy you can bet i'll be in touch. For now i've NEVER been inside of a tranny.

I have the Munroe book setting beside me. That's what i'll use. The parts location you gave me is appreciated. Sounds like you are skilled in this area. I'm not beyond traveling your way and getting a motel for a night or two. When does class begin. I've got several and i figure i can screw up about 8 of em before i have to go pull some more. Just joking. I've got the parts washer and the slide hammers and can fabricate any mounts needed to do this so just tell me what i need. In the Munroe book it specs out some necessary tools. Where will be the best place to get em? Thanks guys and fishy you can bet i'll be in touch. For now i've NEVER been inside of a tranny.

Heck ya some on up Bill if ya got time. I'm not working now so have plenty of time. What tools are you talking about? The only thing I made was a cage to use in my press to press the clutch pack retainers to take them apart. Other than that a slide hammer, dial indicator, feeler gauge, vice grip c-clamps and or regular c-clamps and a plastic face hammer is about all I use. I think they show a fancy tool to compress the front servo but I just use a c-clamp and socket and that works for me.

Back when I was 17 the 727 went out in my 66 Chrysler. Never had been into a tranny but my auto mech teacher tol me he'd help me if I got into trouble so i dove in. I couldn't believe how simple it was. The valve body has quite a few valves and springs that have to go back a certain way so you have to be careful when disassembling it to lay all the parts out just like they came out so you get them back in right. That's the only part that's kinda tedious.

I apologize for tagging onto this thread, but is there a recommended book for rebuilding a 904 trans?

Thanks,
ken

Fishy: Thanks for the info. The wife goes on vacation as of this Friday for 2 weeks and i'll have to travel on the bike with her but sometime soon i'll be able to show up for class. Work is a little slow for me and the guys so it might present itself as an opportunity. I'll be in touch.

KenZ: No problem on the tagging there buddy. This bunch loves to help. The book i have is Torqueflite A-727. I'm sure there must be one for the 904 but i don't know of any. Help Ken out guys. Any 904 manuals out there for him? Ken, you're going to love this site. Stay with us and enjoy. The debate is coming on so i gata go.

Fishy: Thanks for the info. The wife goes on vacation as of this Friday for 2 weeks and i'll have to travel on the bike with her but sometime soon i'll be able to show up for class. Work is a little slow for me and the guys so it might present itself as an opportunity. I'll be in touch.
Glad to help Bill. Give me a call if it works out.

KenZ: No problem on the tagging there buddy. This bunch loves to help. The book i have is Torqueflite A-727. I'm sure there must be one for the 904 but i don't know of any. Help Ken out guys. Any 904 manuals out there for him? Ken, you're going to love this site. Stay with us and enjoy. The debate is coming on so i gata go.

Ken the only rebuild manual I know of specifically for a 904 is produced by ATSG. You can get them at www.bulkpart.com There basically just a rehashed factory service manual. Their plenty good for a stock rebuild. The book Bill has by Carl Munroe is for a 727 but a 727 and a 904 are nearly identical transmissions except for the parts sizes, clutch pack retainers and a few minor details so it would also be a good one to get if your doing a performance rebuild since it has alot of good info on modifications to make it work better and last longer.

-
Back