Transmission information

-

Msprout

Reaction score
Looking for information on a 1408517-10 transmission. What type fluid? Looking to clean up change fluid and sale it.

Looking for information on a 1408517-10 transmission. What type fluid? Looking to clean up change fluid and sale it.
How about some information? Year / make / model, what is it? 4 speed? A833? Three speed gearbox of some sort? Automatic?

How about some information? Year / make / model, what is it? 4 speed? A833? Three speed gearbox of some sort? Automatic?
I'm not sure on any of this. I brought a slid of transmission and this is on it. On side it shows 54 Plymouth

20170512_170744.jpg

Post some pics of the whole box. Might be out of a fluid drive or some such. Don't know

It appears to be upside down,lol
And appears to have a 10 spline input.

Very interesting.......
I've been told this is a old trans mopar overdrive. Found an other casting # r-10-g1.
It appears to be upside down,lol
And appears to have a 10 spline input.

Very interesting.......
I was told mopar overdrive trans. Old. Tracing casting number.

Most certainly is an overdrive as evidence from the shift motor sticking out

Ah, that would explain why it didn't look valid to me -- not a transmission ever used in the A-body era, and this is the A-body board, so naturally I assumed...!

Ah, that would explain why it didn't look valid to me -- not a transmission ever used in the A-body era, and this is the A-body board, so naturally I assumed...!
If it has a "really really long" input shaft it's for a fluid drive. If not, conventional stick shift........

1952 56 plymouth standard with overdrive tranny with input shaft For A fluid drive bell housing Total length Of tranny from bell housing To back Of brake band Is 19 And halfinches

1952 56 plymouth standard with overdrive tranny with input shaft For A fluid drive bell housing Total length Of tranny from bell housing To back Of brake band Is 19 And halfinches

View attachment 1715049214
Yes it's 19-1/2 in. Thanks for the help.

When I was a very young kid my Gramma managed to wreck TWO '50's Plymouths because she forgot to "properly park" the fluid drive machine. I think one incident was because she forever forgot to RELEASE the parking brake, and damn near burned down a car from the hot parking brake. So the brake had been burned and didn't hold. Those rigs have no "gearing" when parked due to the fluid drive unit. the parking brake MUST be maintained

that OD unit appeared in mid 52 and was offered as a retrokit by the factory for 50-51 years though it will retrofit further back than that. the lube in that sucker is GL1 80/90...you can get it from Napa about 15.00 a gallon...only available in gallon size. Do NOT use GL4 and or GL5 as these lubes have shear additives and not good for brass parts. Modern lubes of these rating says they are compatable but if so WHY does the API still have specs on GL1 though GL2 and GL3 are obsolete...answer, because there is a need not to have the additives. The OD unit will also use the GL1. DO NOT get confused with some of the Dodge literature on 10 weight oil....those specs are confused with the fluid drive closed coupler and later in the semi automatic trannys of the era. This tranny is a standard gear box with OD attachment...the long input shaft just allows for use with the fluid coupler...

that OD unit appeared in mid 52 and was offered as a retrokit by the factory for 50-51 years though it will retrofit further back than that. the lube in that sucker is GL1 80/90...you can get it from Napa about 15.00 a gallon...only available in gallon size. Do NOT use GL4 and or GL5 as these lubes have shear additives and not good for brass parts. Modern lubes of these rating says they are compatable but if so WHY does the API still have specs on GL1 though GL2 and GL3 are obsolete...answer, because there is a need not to have the additives. The OD unit will also use the GL1. DO NOT get confused with some of the Dodge literature on 10 weight oil....those specs are confused with the fluid drive closed coupler and later in the semi automatic trannys of the era. This tranny is a standard gear box with OD attachment...the long input shaft just allows for use with the fluid coupler...
Thanks now I'm working on a price to sell it.

-
Back