Trapping help?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
My next door neighbor, Chip aka Freelowder has had a run of critter problems at his place. About two weeks ago something ate the heads off of 13 of his chickens. Sounds like a skunk but there was no skunk smell. This last week while Chip was off at work, his wife stuck her head out the door and called their two dachsunds to put em in for the night and here comes the black one draging the red one by the hind leg leaving a trail of blood. She took him to the vet and after referencing his bite chart he determined it was a cat that did the damage. Maybe a Bobcat. Any ideas on sets for the trapping of this critter? I know they are very territorial and curious. Scents? Help if you can. Gotta get em.

would this help?

havahartezsetracoon.jpg

I've never trapped a Bobcat, but I use sardines or
marshmellows for Coons, Skunks, Cats.
I use a hold trap set in their travel path for Groundhogs.
I don't know about your area, but most county extention offices
will be able to tell you how or point you in the right direction.
That"s one of the traps I use, I've missed a couple really
big Coons due to not being long enough and they could
back out.
Good Luck!

If all the critter ate was the heads of the chickens and not the body parts, I highly doubt it was a bobcat because they would have eaten the entire carcass. It sounds more like a mink to me, as brains are the favorite food for the minks. And the bite patterns and foot tracks for a mink are very similar to those of a feline.

One of the most effective ways to catch a mink is with a properly set snare, or you can use a "coni-bear" type of kill trap.

I used to trap/snare mink all the time when I was growing up on the farm.....back when fur was worth something. That's how I helped to pay for my first 70 GTX I bought when I was sixteen.

The dog is still waggin his tail through it all. Chip will post some pics soon.
Rick. The cat didn't do in the chickens and you may be right on the mink.
I mostly use a .17 cal for this kind of stuff but ya got to see em first and i don't own a night vision scope. Lookin for a trapper. I thought MeMike was an old indian trapper.

I'm not sure a conabear will catch a mink, they are unbelievably fast, but a locking snare will get the little turd. Whatever you use you gotto check em twice a day to make sure ya don't get the neighbors cat which maybe a good thing if ya hate fluffy. Where ever you set the trap ya have to be very clean like wearing new plastic bags on your boots. Them little turds have good a very good sense of smell and are skittish enough to begin with.

Terry

zepplin ,I have two of these dogs his brother saved his life by draging him home by the foot he was tore up bad, The vet said some kind of cat got him,and it wasnt a house cat.

zeppy attack 004 128x160.jpg

Dought if it was a cat if it got 13 chickens. Has been my experience they get what they want an leave. I would leave a couple of braclets an see what you catch. I would suspect a fox or mink by the pattern you described. Just be carefull getting your sent around the trap an dont catch your poor dogs in them. If it is a fox the sent problem wont matter but most everything else it is critical.

here's another one the holes you see are from the teeth of whatever got him they are about 4 inches from front to back

zeppy attack 003.jpg

Cool that the other dog dragged it's buddy home like that.(Hero)!!

Maybe get yourself a dog cam for the black dog since he's obviously quicker, or smarter, than the red one that got the battlescars.(joke). Poor little guy.

I like the idea of the sardines, and a large, humane trap.
This way you can catch that sucker, (whatever it is) and let your dogs (especially the red one) watch as you poke the sucker through the cage with a sharpened stick, (about a million or so times) just to give "ol red" some satisfaction.
Then when the animal has no "bite" left in him, drag it out of the cage and let 'Ol red have a few gnarls at 'em.
That should do the trick.

Then hang the dead animal over a fence near the woods to send a message to any more of it's buddies that may have the same idea.

Yeah, I'm a sick pup, but sometimes you just gotta get sweet revenge.

We used to hang dead coyotes over the fence near the woodline to send a message to their buddies.

If the width between those incisors is over 4" I'd say
your more likely to have a big cat.
Could the cut on the neck be a claw mark?

thats what the vet said the cut on his neck was from the claws, he also said it was a big cat, plus he has 16 puncture wounds all together but he is doing really good now so thanks to the doggy gods

maybe coyote or wolf???? or do they have more dog like mouths i dont no anything about wild life i live in the city!!!!!

don't know much about your part of the country, but don't you have badgers there? they are some mean critters. I have a couple vintage bear traps. probably too much snap would just take a leg off a small critter though.

I vote badger or coon .... I don't see a bobcat hanging around long enough to get in a fight with a weenie dog.... I think it would avoid that if possible.... The coon would probably climb a tree and avoid it also .... But a badger would not be able to outrun or avoid the dog and therefore was forced to defend itself..... Most smaller wild animals are not going to fight very hard for a meal... Weenie dogs are brave creatures and will put up a pretty big fight.... That's what they are designed and originally bred to do...Glad it made it o.k. ..... Another thing to think about is WEREWOLVES !!!!!

Cool that the other dog dragged it's buddy home like that.(Hero)!!

No doubt! It reminds me of the video of the stray dogs in Brazil where the one dog dragged the other to safety after getting hit by car. 8)

BTW, I think it's a Fox. Wiley bastards and they take no **** when cornered.

-
Back