Trick Flow 440 heads, The Real Deal?

-
I have no personal experience with them. But I do trust a tried and true rockers that I know last. MRL said the Hughes were nice. I have personal experience with the comp cams pro magnums and the Harland sharps have always been considered top quality. Can a high end rocker fail too? Hell yes it can! It's all a gamble. I just feel better about a part with a proven track record.

I'm right with you on everything you say but dammit, if these (specifically) are bad, where are all of the unfortunate victims?

You know that if something is a POS the first thing people want to do is ***** about it but the silence is deafening.

I'm right with you on everything you say but dammit, if these (specifically) are bad, where are all of the unfortunate victims?

You know that if something is a POS the first thing people want to do is ***** about it but the silence is deafening.

Maybe put some heavy springs in a junk motor and bolt em on. Run the engine and see how they fare?

I ended up buying a set while summit had them on sale. I'm planning on waiting for TF to come out with their intake manifold before I get my motor up and running. But if they take too long I'll stick on a factor cast iron one for now.

Sell em to me cheap :D
We've got more than one wedge in pieces. Probably have our machinist take them apart,
check them and have him install a set of Comp Beehive springs and retainers. Bought these
back when they were $899/pr and will use them somewhere. That's the plan so far.

Maybe put some heavy springs in a junk motor and bolt em on. Run the engine and see how they fare?
On that line of thought.......

Well, I've got a crazy idea that once the new shop is done I would like to mount an old B/RB on a run stand and
make a sort of a Spintron® electric motor powered rig that can be used with light valve springs and no pistons
to break in new flat tappet cams and lifters. I would take an old set of rods and cut them off near the big end to
keep the oil flowing. This would take the worry out of firing up a running engine with a new cam & lifters.

Comments and suggestions on this idea are welcomed. If it works, anybody would be welcome to use it.

Ran a set of the CAT, ProComp, PRW style rockers once. I had to return 4 of the rockers from the first batch because the adjusting screws didn't fit up into the lifter body as they should have. Had to machine the surface where the locking nut goes against the rocker body to be perpendicular to the adjuster screw and had to machine each end of the rocker where the shaft passes through to remove the proud metal from the bronze bushing that was flaking off into the engine.

Then ran them on a pump gas 496 stroker that makes 650HP and seems to be running fine still.

The time spent fixing them means I run Comp Cams, Harland Sharp, Mancini Racing, T&D or Hughes Engines rockers now depending upon the budget/application.

I should mention also that I do not run any of these rocker arms out of the box. I disassemble every rocker arm and shaft, inspect, clean, lube and reassemble them. You would be surprised at the amount of crap/burrs I find in threads, rockers and shafts. The best cleaned rockers I found recently were the Hughes Engines and they even came with the shaft end plugs removed so I could clean them and then install the plugs.

Thank you for the detailed reply. It sounds like you don't want to run ANY of them until disassembly and careful scrutiny.

For breaking in a new tappet cam with these heads would you guys take the inner valve spring out or just run as is. Running the TFS-61617801-C00 aka the one for hydraulic flat tappet cams.

True and I will probably end up with Hughes rockers but still, that is the same general answer I always get to that question. What, specifically are you basing it on? ....or is it just your opinion?

I've had a few sets of cheap rocker arms come thru my shop and I've never used any of them. If you check them over carefully you'll see the problem. Wrong geometry, lack of heat treat on the adjusters, bad machine work, wrong clearances, oiling holes are incorrect, etc.

I use RAS for street engines, Jesel for race engines. But I wouldn't have any issue with Hughes, Comp, Crane, Isky, etc for a street/strip type of engine. T&D is also very nice.

I've had a few sets of cheap rocker arms come thru my shop and I've never used any of them. If you check them over carefully you'll see the problem. Wrong geometry, lack of heat treat on the adjusters, bad machine work, wrong clearances, oiling holes are incorrect, etc.

I use RAS for street engines, Jesel for race engines. But I wouldn't have any issue with Hughes, Comp, Crane, Isky, etc for a street/strip type of engine. T&D is also very nice.
I agree with your comments Andy but can you still get RAS?

I contacted ras back in September, the email kinda sums up their bb Mopar stuff...for now anyways.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-01-14-07-57.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 830
Yea, on the website it doesn't really show anything, I emailed them asking if they still re did the old adjustable iron rockers, but for $500 I was like I'll just wait and get diff rockers.... I'll have to get back to them to see if they have a new set yet

I sent them an email today and we'll see if we get an answer. Three hours ago and nothing yet (not a good sign).

Ha-ha, I heard about that, one fella ordered through summit and he received 1 head and the other is on back order lol....that's enough to make ya angry

I have no personal experience with them. But I do trust a tried and true rockers that I know last. MRL said the Hughes were nice. I have personal experience with the comp cams pro magnums and the Harland sharps have always been considered top quality. Can a high end rocker fail too? Hell yes it can! It's all a gamble. I just feel better about a part with a proven track record.

I ordered a mock up ( one..) Hughes rocker, ( for comparison..)to compare to the cheapo Cat small block rockers,I tried to run. The one, I bought: Cleared all the clearance issues I had on mock up, superior fasteners & machining quality.. I don't like the quality of some of Hughes products, the rockers are spot on..

I ordered a mock up ( one..) Hughes rocker, ( for comparison..)to compare to the cheapo Cat small block rockers,I tried to run. The one, I bought: Cleared all the clearance issues I had on mock up, superior fasteners & machining quality.. I don't like the quality of some of Hughes products, the rockers are spot on..

are they bushed? or are they just solid aluminum bodies? is this a problem with higher spring rates required for solid roller cams?

FYI I got the following reply to my post on TF Facebook.

We are currently running those heads through the shop now and are shipping them daily. Unfortunately, we only have enough castings to cover about 3/4 of the backorders. So not knowing where you're at in line, I cannot guarantee your heads will ship this week. If they fall into the next round of casting, those are due in about 2 weeks.

These things are flying off the shelf! Bout damn time somebody built a quality off the shelf head that flows good right out the box!

-
Back