TrickFlow intakes. Not what guys want to see

-
PA66 (nylon 6/6) is $2.00 per kilo raw granules. The AFR intake weighs 7 lbs, a little over 3 kilos. So 6 bucks in raw materials minus the threaded inserts and water passages. Still pretty cheap and gar less energy to produce and less EPA regs. They do require an 210 C oven dryer but that is gar less to operate than an electric or gas smelter.

Now add glass (or other filler), flow modifier, impact modifier, heat-resistant additives... that $2 per kilo turns into more in a hurry. Yes, it will still be cheaper than aluminum by weight, but not once you amortize the tooling over the anemic demand for Mopar parts. Those threaded inserts are cheap if brass, but none of the ones on the market have worked well for me. I've had to go custom in all instances, and they can run $2-4 each in stainless, and that was several years ago, and they were #10 threads. Larger custom stainless inserts will undoubtedly cost more. Then there's the labor (or cost for a robot) to place them in the tooling.

Trying to tool the ports in an automatic tool would be extremely difficult, and you'll still wind up with some ugly parting lines in the plenum, if not some flash since the shutoffs won't be perpendicular to the closing plane. Hydraulic slides can bear harder, but only so much before the cores snap or crack due to the torque (since they're not straight). Especially once the tool warms up.

Again, nothing about it is impossible - it's just not well suited technologically for this application. Between all the oil and heat on the bottom of the manifold, fuel through the intake (which will embrittle the polymer over time, no doubt), thin bolt flanges that are too close to the ports (crack city), and the temperature differential of the part due to the thermostat housing... it's a recipe for disaster.

Run a separate water neck, block off the rear coolant ports, use heads w/o a heat crossover, and then use port injection with the bungs in the heads, and a valley plate - it could work. A BB intake would probably work well in polymer, in fact. But there's still an issue with volume to pay off the development of the tooling. Without an OEM behind it, I just don't see it making any financial sense.

I could draw up a manifold that could be v-process cast without any special requirements that would cost as little as $20k, in comparison.

You got the edge on manufacturing process for sure! I thought 6/6 was already 30% glass? What kind of hit did AFR take on those intakes? Weird, I should have looked into the availability of them (..."if you can find one"..) the one site said "sold out".

I got me a block of maple, I'm carving a T ram and a couple tops.
I wonder if pine would be better.

You got the edge on manufacturing process for sure! I thought 6/6 was already 30% glass? What kind of hit did AFR take on those intakes? Weird, I should have looked into the availability of them (..."if you can find one"..) the one site said "sold out".

Not all, glass or mineral or other fillers are often added after. Straight nylon is necessary for certain applications where glass or mineral might pose a problem (some of it is application dependant, some is just cost).

PPA is another good one for high heat, but the tooling can cost even more. The high mold temperatures means that some tools designed for it won't even open or close until they're 300+ degrees. It's not common, but I have one and it's a bear. It's a two cavity that shoots a part that weighs about 10oz with three inserts. It's got hydraulic and side action slides, and weighs around 3 tons, and it's been a very long (years) development cycle to get the damn thing to run..

I would NOT want to do an intake, hah.

I got me a block of maple, I'm carving a T ram and a couple tops.
I wonder if pine would be better.
Dont laugh, they still make carb insulators out of plywood! How about fiberglass? Would fuel eat it? I remember seeing a fiberglass TM5 Tarantula mock up they bolted to a 340 in a write-up. I think the article was "Along came a spider" in Car craft about 1970? Coat the inside with Hysol, Fuel proof!

Last edited:
Super Victors down to 8 in stock. 490.00 pro shop price. Efi but should be able to plug that I would think
095B6FF8-BD2E-4EB9-8D4C-1BA72357717D.jpeg

before I got kicked off face book. there was one just like the one you posted for $450. but
I don't remember if it was new or used.

These crazy intakes jumped in price almost weekly and I saw even crazier pricing than this. Just doing some looking around yesterday for the heck of it and rewatched TrickFlows video with Mike before the intake was released. I met Mike at Norwalk years ago and we discussed new releases before the big block 270 head was out. He told me it’s coming but he wouldn’t say what was coming as they are very tight-lipped. Mike no longer works there and I’m not sure where he moved on to. Very nice guy.

I'm thinking that it's not so much that they can't find a foundry to make the intakes, it's that the supply of aluminum is at a premium and the cost has skyrocketed. I'm seeing the lead times on materials go from two weeks to 50 weeks. When they say "50+ weeks", that means that they have no idea when you will get it. I'm not going to get political here, but this is politically driven/caused. I believe that we will continue to see this for the next 12-24 months.

China. They find one Covid positive person and completely shut down an entire large area. Not talking a few city blocks. So what does this does to supply of everything. ie Aluminum.
Also. Ag News said this AM that China has built some 100 new cold storage warehouses for meats. They have been convinced forth last year or so, Covid comes into China from frozen meat imports.
China stays in a continual state of screwed up. As is most everywhere else. It won't get any better for a long time. Supplies, inflation, costs...you name it.

I just wrote a huge diatribe, and then read it. Then I deleted it. If our current political and economical problems aren't addressed soon, we're all in deep non-fat yogurt. It's taken me over 2 years, but I have a set of TF190 heads, and a TF Track Heat intake. I was persistent, and was blessed. I'm still waiting on a Molnar, or other high quality crank for my 408.

-
Back