Tti headers how!

-

Aj408

Reaction score
I know its been asked, I know its been done. But I can't seem to get them in. I have a 72 demon, stock suspension, original V8 car. It seems to be a nightmare, I'm starting to have flashbacks of when I was 18 putting long tubes on the 340 and lifting the.motor and.tranny enough to get them in. I only have limited time to work on the car, I live close to 100 miles away from where I keep the.car and all my parts. It's the first time I have touched in months. Just wanted to know what you all are doing. I got the driver side on ( removing the steering box, the column, and the brake master cylinder. The passenger side I have 2 bolts in it 1 in front and 1 in back ( close to the fire wall. It just seems so close to the frame rail and the torsion bar. There seems to be no room for error. It seems like I mighthave to dimple the header. I was thinking about if I switched over to coilovers I would have more (wiggle room) down there. I just want to know what all you have done. Thanls in advance,

Aj.

Check TTI's website, they stress that if the motor is not in the correct location you will have problems.

No 1st hand experience, but everyone I've heard of using the hemi TTI's has had to dimple them to make em fit. A, B, & E bodies.

I put TTI's on my 5.7 in my 67 Dart and didn't have to modify them any. They are really close to the steering box and the torsion bars, but I don't believe they are hitting. They did hit the inspection plate on my 833, but I just trimmed a flange on the plate some and that worked well. I put them in from the bottom when I put the engine in, but I didn't really have to jack the engine up much, maybe an inch or 2. I did pull the torsion bars out though. That gave me a lot more room to get them in from the bottom and positioned. I may have smaller bars though, not sure if V8 bars got swapped in in the past when they changed from the slant 6 to the 318 I bought it with.

All I can say is follow the directions to the tee. Make sure the motor is sitting where tti says it should be.

I had to make my driver side insulator about 3/8 inch thicker to get an acceptable installation.
I installed the engine from the bottom with the headers already attached and sitting on the k-frame.

According to all previous threads about headers arent TTIs just supposed to slide right in,LOL Kevin.

I changed over my K frame to spool mounts as well and got the TTI mounts to match, so I didn't have the option of even moving my engine around. While the biscuits offer some adjustability, it seems like a lot of people have had issues with getting stuff to fit right without tweaking them somehow.

Man I am so glad I'm building my own headers. It eliminates so many of theses issues. Bit createsa whole diffrent set ofproblems. Like fab time and welding ect. but that seems minor in comparison. Good luck on getting them in. Sorry I can't be more help.

I also have TTI's (with TTI mounts) and didn't need to modify them.
To get an acceptable amount of clearance I also shimmed the driver
side engine mount with a 1/4" spacer. Since I used a A518 trans. I
built the trans mount to set the engine/trans angle to ~3.5° which
may have helped with the clearance as well.

Maybe I did something completely wrong but I cutted the TTI mounts, brought everything to the position where it should be and rewelded the mounts. Easier and cheaper than denting the expensive headders. I also cutted a bit of the frame rail passenger side to have plenty of room there.

Nothing wrong with that. Cut it up and make it fit. That's wjat I have been doing for the last 18months on my car.

AJ how is that build going? is it time for pictures yet?

The swap is going alright. I have pretty much everything its just finding time to work on the car, between family and work. And it also doesn't help that my car is 100 miles away. I got the motor, trans, and headers in last week. I had to pull the starter back off and clock it cause with the headers on the wanted occupy the same space. So far so good it all looks down hill from here. The only problem I have now is the headers being so close to the torsion bar on the passenger side, the header is basically sitting on it. So to solve that problem I'm switching to coilovers and tubular control arms in front, they will go well with my " street-lynx" rear suspension. So I just gotta save up a few bucks to get everything. I'm hoping to have the car on the road and at the track before the summer.

This build has taught me a lot. As I'm 31 years old a father of 3 girls and a wife that never says no when it comes to my car. She knows that I have lots of money into the car since the start of the swap but she doesn't know that we are closing in on $15k rapidly. So once this car is done I will drive it, and drive it, and drive it. I have patients now more than ever. I thought I would have this car done in a few months and I think we are close to a year and a half if not more. And last but not least THANK YOU to all of you here. If it wasn't tech advise, it was parts that I needed and you all either pointed me in the right direction or sold them to me at a really great price. I wouldn't have ever thought about any of this without all of you. So once again thank you all and thank you FABO!

pay it forward aj thats how it works . and it works well as you can see

I almost hate to say what I'm going to say, BUT, I have a 360 Magnum in my '72 Valiant and ordered if TTI headers for it, installed them with no problems, whatsoever; didn't even have to loosen the motor mount bolts.

I DID install a mini-starter at that time.

Everything fit "as advertised" with no interference. My car has power steering and no TTI motor mounts (stock rubber.)

Guess I'm just lucky:eek:....

I believe that the reason for confusion on this thread. is that the OP did not state that he was talking about the TTI Gen 3 Hemi swap headers and some people thought that he was refering to the TTI line in general. Since no 2 swaps are ever exactly alike, I think that it's reasonable to expect that some modifications may be needed.

a 360 Magnum is a different story, Bill.... or did I get you wrong?

No; my car is a 360 Magnum powered '72 Valiant. I wasn't aware, when I wrote that, that we were talking about a Hemi. I tend to live in the past... LOL!

Sorry for the confusion!

remove the torsion bar and it will fall into place i have a 73 with 440 and that is the simple way to do it per tti

-
Back