Tube Chassis Hemi Dart Project

-
made in america!

Wow, there is some serious cash there! Is that an alternator I see on the lower passenger side? Is that a current trend, or are doing that for some street time?
The smog pumps came around after I quit, but now that is standard fare, just wondering if the same is true with the alternator.

Hey HemiEd. I have always tried to run an alternator on any race car I have taken to the track. I have tried doing without and charging the batteries between rounds but it never really works very well. These high tech MSD ignitions these days really place a load on the electrical systems and I want to be sure I always have at least 14 volts charging at all times. Plus it puts out 140 amps and I need every bit of them.

Hemidart528 don't forget to take some video with sound for us poor guys waiting to here their's fire up also. Mine is nothing like yours but should be going to the dyno next week for break in and a few pulls.

Every time time I look at your beast it just makes stare and droolllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awsome car!

Hemidart528 don't forget to take some video with sound for us poor guys waiting to here their's fire up also. Mine is nothing like yours but should be going to the dyno next week for break in and a few pulls.

Every time time I look at your beast it just makes stare and droolllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awsome car!
I'll do that skypower if you will return the favor and film your fine ride when it fires for the first time! Good to hear you are headed for the dyno and I'm pulling for you to post some big numbers. By the way, have you seen that hillbilly roaming around Florida lately?

No hillbilly's, left them up in them thar mount ains. My motor should be being video'ed while on the dyno, as it may be getting a little love from one of the rags so I will post up when I get it. I'm just jonesen to see and here mine since it's 900 miles away and I haven't put eyes on it since I bought it. The motor went straight to the builder from the guy I got it from. They only part i'v seen was the intake I shipped up there and the valve covers that our nice friend HemiDenny sent to me.

Hey HemiEd. I have always tried to run an alternator on any race car I have taken to the track. I have tried doing without and charging the batteries between rounds but it never really works very well. These high tech MSD ignitions these days really place a load on the electrical systems and I want to be sure I always have at least 14 volts charging at all times. Plus it puts out 140 amps and I need every bit of them.

Thanks for the information.
I hear ya, things have changed a lot when it comes to electronics. I used to run dual batteries, and they would last the whole evening without a charge. (a portable generator never did make the top of my priority list:toothy7:)

Lolz,seen too many cars drop time cause of that exact same issue. I plan for at least a 100 amp alt.

Lolz,seen too many cars drop time cause of that exact same issue. I plan for at least a 100 amp alt.

Yeah, they have a lot of electronics now, and you wouldn't have to carry around two batteries.
All I had was a gold box and electric water pump. The water pump didn't run much, and I had two RV batteries in parallel.
Never had a problem, but I can see now how a guy could. That is why I asked, drag racing continues to improve, no matter how much it stays the same.

Here is the cowl hood I will be using. It's 4 1/2" which is just right to clear the carb and spacer. I've seen alot of comments floating around for years that these hoods "are for chevy's" and should never be on a Mopar. Well, maybe so but I like the look and to me it complements the low slung effect I am after. A flat hood would never work and the 68 Hemi scoop to me is sacred and should only be used where appropriate. Anyway, I figure if somebody is fixated on my hood they are missing the most interesting parts of the car.

Cowl hoods are for chevys!!! lol thats why I put one on my nova LOL

I like it a lot I just wish mine was glass like yours. Very nice build!

Attachments

• smaller10.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 713

you getting any closer to the finish line? LOL FYI. I have a 68 Dart at brother Marks place in Findlay and I was back and forth on the color black, red, white and the I spied yours........... I'm painting mine black, well, brother Mark is painting it black!

No hillbilly's, left them up in them thar mount ains. My motor should be being video'ed while on the dyno, as it may be getting a little love from one of the rags so I will post up when I get it. I'm just jonesen to see and here mine since it's 900 miles away and I haven't put eyes on it since I bought it. The motor went straight to the builder from the guy I got it from. They only part i'v seen was the intake I shipped up there and the valve covers that our nice friend HemiDenny sent to me.

He always ships the parts first....... the bill will come later! Hey Dude, I didn't realize your motor was done let alone ready for the dyno. Great to hear.

:eek:ccasion:

Thats the story of my life, best deals I get cost the most!!!!!!!!! But sometimes thats oK.

how about a "outside the garage" shot...you know...just for us droolers..

you getting any closer to the finish line? LOL FYI. I have a 68 Dart at brother Marks place in Findlay and I was back and forth on the color black, red, white and the I spied yours........... I'm painting mine black, well, brother Mark is painting it black!
Thanks HemiMark. Car is finished! I'm trying to get several buddies together for sort of an outdoor tailgate party when we fire it. Looks like that is still a couple of weeks away because I want to set up some good food for everybody. Let me know how the black paint works out for you We did a single stage PPG black, no clear, wet sanded and buffed it out to an amazing shine. I am very happy with the shine and quality.

Wow, looking back on everything mocked up and the gold paint....I have really come a long way to today. I promise the pics next weekend will show the blood, sweat, and cheers (no tears) that I poured into this labor of love for the past 10 years. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• hemi0009.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 675
Even back then it was a beast could have been the baddest rat rod ever. lol

Thanks HemiMark. Car is finished! I'm trying to get several buddies together for sort of an outdoor tailgate party when we fire it. Looks like that is still a couple of weeks away because I want to set up some good food for everybody. Let me know how the black paint works out for you We did a single stage PPG black, no clear, wet sanded and buffed it out to an amazing shine. I am very happy with the shine and quality.

Wow........ I will keep you posted on the paint. :thumblef:

Here are the final pics guys! We pushed it out, added fuel, checked for leaks, tested all electrical components, and pronounced it fit for duty. After cooking 6 racks of St. Louis ribs, 10 pounds of Texas mesquite brisket, 50 links of sausage, etc. and feeding about 20 onlookers, I hit the switch. It needed a little advance but on the third try it lit and shook the earth. I have never heard anything as sweet as that roller cammed Hemi spinning on 106 octane kool aid and pushing 75 psi oil.:prayer:

Attachments

• plumbhemi%20113_1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 2,224
  • plumbhemi%20112.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 607
  • plumbhemi%20111.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2,217
  • plumbhemi%20110.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 619
  • plumbhemi%20109.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 614
  • plumbhemi%20108_1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 620
  • plumbhemi%20107_1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 617
  • plumbhemi%20115.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 612
now thats what I call a unveil!!!!.....all I had was my cat...Scruffs, sweatin' the action

OUTSTANDING!!!.....man that thing looks scary BAD!!....I'll bet it soungs it too!

NOW...you can maybe sleep at night

he brother you´r sitting oftener at the tree chair:)

i am a tree climber

you are doing a fantastic job

-
Back