Tubular Lower Control Arm Thread

-
That gusset looks good and should tie the two pieces together really well, and make an excellent tab for the sway bar. Few people realize that the sway bar is actually a spring and places quite a bit of load on the lower control arms. Thus, I think your choice of a .250" plate is a good one.

How is the strut rod going to attach to the lower control arm?

Every time I come back to the thread it looks better and better. Keep the car **** comin'

Regards,

Joe Dokes

This project is coming along great.

The idea of the second gusset is sound. Under heavy braking there would be a lot of leverage against that tube, from the center of the tire's contact patch to where the second tube intersects the first one. I know you're using a heavy wall tube and the ball joint mount is solid, but the forces on that bar from a 3200 pound car going over 100 MPH would be substantial.

Then again, I'm no engineer, I don't play one on TV and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Thanks J-MacsMopars,

It was hidden in plain sight. I never noticed the boss welded to the bottom of the tube. Now all he has to do is weld a tab on the top to attach the coil over and he'll be done with the Lower Control Arm.

If he finds an equally elegant way to reinforce the shock towers to carry the entire load of the car, he'll have a hell of a product. Truly a game changer.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

This project is coming along great.

The idea of the second gusset is sound. Under heavy braking there would be a lot of leverage against that tube, from the center of the tire's contact patch to where the second tube intersects the first one. I know you're using a heavy wall tube and the ball joint mount is solid, but the forces on that bar from a 3200 pound car going over 100 MPH would be substantial.

Then again, I'm no engineer, I don't play one on TV and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

The way that I see it is better safe than sorry. Form follows function.

Thanks J-MacsMopars,

It was hidden in plain sight. I never noticed the boss welded to the bottom of the tube. Now all he has to do is weld a tab on the top to attach the coil over and he'll be done with the Lower Control Arm.

If he finds an equally elegant way to reinforce the shock towers to carry the entire load of the car, he'll have a hell of a product. Truly a game changer.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Wow what a complement. I have a couple of ideas with reinforcing the factory shock tower area and they will be good.

What's in mind for the Lower Shock Mounts?

The lowers are simply 1/4" thick coilover tabs that will be welded in the area where the second bar meets. This will be the strongest area of the LCA, because of the second bar and the slug that is welded in.

For the uppers I'm thinking that a guy could either use my J bars, or tie into their own cage or use some that I am working on that will be hidden under the fenders. They will be triangulated from the firewall to the shock tower and also from both sides of shock tower down to the frame rails. I think triangulating this area will make it strong enough to support the coilovers.

I don't want you guys to think that I am slacking. Yesterday I dropped off my gusset templates to a local fab shop that has a automated plasma cutter. He gave me a fair price on each 1/4" gusset, so I pulled the trigger and I will have enough for 10 sets in a couple of days.

I still haven't heard back from the machine shop about a quote for a couple of parts that I won't have time to make. I will call them today. I hope to have the first set completely done in a couple of days.

Watching this with interest.
I'm soon to do something different with lower control arms myself shortly but not as elaborate as this setup.
Will start a new thread when I get cracking on it.

Watching this with interest.
I'm soon to do something different with lower control arms myself shortly but not as elaborate as this setup.
Will start a new thread when I get cracking on it.

Cool i can't wait.

I don't want you guys to think that I am slacking. Yesterday I dropped off my gusset templates to a local fab shop that has a automated plasma cutter. He gave me a fair price on each 1/4" gusset, so I pulled the trigger and I will have enough for 10 sets in a couple of days.

I still haven't heard back from the machine shop about a quote for a couple of parts that I won't have time to make. I will call them today. I hope to have the first set completely done in a couple of days.

Slacking?? Hardly!! Between a full time job, wife and kids you are kicking this thing in that butt. Not to mention all the other parts you engineered and fabbed up. You are making most guys look real bad in the gettin it done department!:eye:

No, I don't think you're slacking at all, it seems every time I hit the refresh button there's a new pic.

Here's the next item you need to tackle: Fabricate a bracket that would mount a rear rack and pinion similar to the one offered by unisteer. I've emailed them, they have no plans or won't share plans for an A-body setup.

http://www.unisteer.com/seach_by_ve...big_block_power_rack_pinion_kit_black_ra.html

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Slacking?? Hardly!! Between a full time job, wife and kids you are kicking this thing in that butt. Not to mention all the other parts you engineered and fabbed up. You are making most guys look real bad in the gettin it done department!:eye:

Right now I am sicker than a dog. I get this stupid sinus infection crap every winter. I'm sick of it, but the show must go on.

No, I don't think you're slacking at all, it seems every time I hit the refresh button there's a new pic.

Here's the next item you need to tackle: Fabricate a bracket that would mount a rear rack and pinion similar to the one offered by unisteer. I've emailed them, they have no plans or won't share plans for an A-body setup.

http://www.unisteer.com/seach_by_ve...big_block_power_rack_pinion_kit_black_ra.html

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Ouch that's a spendy setup.

Just letting you guys know that I got all of my bids back and will have an idea of what these should sell for as a set once they are completed. They will be right in line with mustang and camaro aftermarket lowers. :cheers:

Spendy and the wrong app! I've always wondered why unisteer doesnt make an A body offering.Cant be that hard,after all the b and e bodies are the exact same platform,just dimensionally larger than an A body.

Nice work btw! I think you have a lot of interested folks here and am hoping this takes off for you.

Obviously been following the thread from the beginning, the reason I mention the Unisteer product is that with your LCA you have the ability to piece together a really nice setup over a period of time and not spend a fortune all at once.

For example, I really like RMS system but since he uses Mustang II stuff you basically have to buy Mustang brakes, key advantage tons of brake choice, key disadvantage now you have to spends at least 450.00 on a set of calipers, rotors, pads etc. With your's you can keep your stock 11" or 12" rotors and upgrade them later as funds become available.

For example, someone buys your LCAs then later they decide they want rack and pinion steering, no problemo simply add it. This would give you a huge competitive advantage at the lower end of the market.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Obviously been following the thread from the beginning, the reason I mention the Unisteer product is that with your LCA you have the ability to piece together a really nice setup over a period of time and not spend a fortune all at once.

For example, I really like RMS system but since he uses Mustang II stuff you basically have to buy Mustang brakes, key advantage tons of brake choice, key disadvantage now you have to spends at least 450.00 on a set of calipers, rotors, pads etc. With your's you can keep your stock 11" or 12" rotors and upgrade them later as funds become available.

For example, someone buys your LCAs then later they decide they want rack and pinion steering, no problemo simply add it. This would give you a huge competitive advantage at the lower end of the market.

Regards,
Joe Dokes

Good points. I will keep that in mind. Thank you

I think for me ,the modular approach really works. I can buy and use immediately,but not have to put out $4500. Very cool,being able to buy a piece or two at a time as you can afford it.

That rack and pinion thing really bugs the hell out of me. As A body owners,we cant get a drop in rack and pinion kit? WTF?

-
Back