Tubular upper control arm question?

-

car2back

Reaction score
I did some searching, and it looks like the main advantages of running tubular UCAs is weight, increased bushing contact, and more front end adjustability.

I'm about to start a complete tear down on my front suspension and brakes, and if I was to go with a set, now'd be the time to do it. My goal is to build a tight handling street car with a 408ci and a 4-speed making approx 400-450rwhp. It may see the strip on a rare ocassion. Weight isn't really an issue, and I don't plan on doing any wild driving other than in a straight line. Are they worth the money for what I plan to do? I'm kinda caught between the "cool factor" and wondering if I could save my $$ and spend it elsewhere, like in my engine when that time comes.

Any thoughts?

They are stiffer than the stamped stock ones and the geometry aslo improves handling. They have more clearance for coilover shocks. The Firm Feel amd RMS ones are good quality.

They are stiffer than the stamped stock ones and the geometry aslo improves handling. They have more clearance for coilover shocks. The Firm Feel amd RMS ones are good quality.

I agree! Firm Feel and RMS are the only ones to get!

I did some searching, and it looks like the main advantages of running tubular UCAs is weight, increased bushing contact, and more front end adjustability.

I'm about to start a complete tear down on my front suspension and brakes, and if I was to go with a set, now'd be the time to do it. My goal is to build a tight handling street car with a 408ci and a 4-speed making approx 400-450rwhp. It may see the strip on a rare ocassion. Weight isn't really an issue, and I don't plan on doing any wild driving other than in a straight line. Are they worth the money for what I plan to do? I'm kinda caught between the "cool factor" and wondering if I could save my $$ and spend it elsewhere, like in my engine when that time comes.

Any thoughts?

Going strictly by what you put in your post…. It is unlikely you will see any gains with tubular a-arms.

So yes… Save your money and spend it elsehere.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll keep the stock control arms, and just go with polygraphite bushings in my rebuild kit.

do you already have the big bolt setup? it isnt a ton of cash to upgrade to the arms after buying the offset bushings and new quality upper balljoints. if you still have to buy arms, then its a no brainer to me. dont buy cheap joints. less than 2000 miles on my 69 dart on one of the kits from one of the companies that advertise in mags, and i have one loose upper and one loose lower.

do you already have the big bolt setup? it isnt a ton of cash to upgrade to the arms after buying the offset bushings and new quality upper balljoints. if you still have to buy arms, then its a no brainer to me. dont buy cheap joints. less than 2000 miles on my 69 dart on one of the kits from one of the companies that advertise in mags, and i have one loose upper and one loose lower.

good point. if ya have to change arms to go big bolt james is right, you may as well spend the money on new tube ones.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll keep the stock control arms, and just go with polygraphite bushings in my rebuild kit.

Don't put in the poly upper bushings. Put in the Moog pn 7103 offset bushings installed for added caster (do not follow the direction in the box).

That will give you the same "geometry" as the tubular arms. The tubular ones don't really change geometry the just allow for more positve caster when you do the alignment.

Moog7103bushingInstall.jpg

I've got a 1973 so it already takes the larger ball joints.

I've heard good thing about P-S-T's kit, they seem to have a good rep on here.

Thanks for the info autoxcuda!

there stuff is just moog. i was kinda pissed when i got my stuff...

i dont remember if i bought the pst or just suspension kit, but nothing came in a brand marked box so i have no idea whos joints they were, but they were crap. there is a reason the kits are cheap.

-
Back