Turbo six cylinder in a Satellite

-
If you can find a 16mm housing you will wake up that little turbo. most were 18 or 21mm and it took a lot longer to make them spool. the holset 35 had a much smaller exhaust housing and a wastegate to keep the turbo from over speeding.
Just a little bit more fyi

Will the exhaust turbo housing from my 1995 fit the early ones? If so I can fix you up with one that's sitting here. I think it's 12 cm but, I don't remember.

Will the exhaust turbo housing from my 1995 fit the early ones? If so I can fix you up with one that's sitting here. I think it's 12 cm but, I don't remember.

I don't know anything about turbo specs.
I was looking for a he351 turbo cause it will bolt to my manifold, with some clocking of the turbo.

I did remove the tamper collar from the power screw,today
turned in the screw, just below run away > I hope....lol
installed the 3800 gov spring.
going to the track Tuesday night, to see the improvements.
looks like I'll run the 3.73 gear in the Dana.
looking for a 4.10 and down spool,
Have a extra 4.56 spool.

No his turbo is the baby holset35 (it not the name it's what i call it.) his don't have a wastegate because the smallest house for it is a 16 and you can't over spool it. He needs a 2nt gen turbo(P mechanical pump) or 3 gen with the rotary pump and a computer. And then it will already have 12cm.

I don't know anything about turbo specs.
I was looking for a he351 turbo because it will bolt to my manifold, with some clocking of the turbo.

I did remove the tamper collar from the power screw,today
turned in the screw, just below run away > I hope....lol
installed the 3800 gov spring.
going to the track Tuesday night, to see the improvements.
looks like I'll run the 3.73 gear in the Dana.
looking for a 4.10 and down spool,
Have a extra 4.56 spool.

Have you seen one of these turbos in life? They are huge, and they are FULL Electronic!
They don't use a wastegate. They us a collar that slide in and out to change the affective exh house. aka spools like a 9cc housing and breaths on top like a 22cc but you have to have a computer to make it all happen.
If you're serious about this turbo, i have one and would be glad to get some measurements.
I really don't think it will fit between the exh manifold and the motor mount!

Have you seen one of these turbos in life? They are huge, and they are FULL Electronic!
They don't use a wastegate. They us a collar that slide in and out to change the affective exh house. aka spools like a 9cc housing and breaths on top like a 22cc but you have to have a computer to make it all happen.
If you're serious about this turbo, i have one and would be glad to get some measurements.
I really don't think it will fit between the exh manifold and the motor mount!
Thanks for the info and help
like I said > I no Nothing...about turbo spec
so back in January I asked on the diesel site

I'm SO Confused>>>WH1C, HY35, HX35, HE351CW - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
I know I want a larger turbo, just don't know what direction to go

Thanks for the info and help
like I said > I no Nothing...about turbo spec
so back in January I asked on the diesel site

I'm SO Confused>>>WH1C, HY35, HX35, HE351CW - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
I know I want a larger turbo, just don't know what direction to go
ok basicly the Wh1C is what you have now, the HX35 is the one that i have been recommending the the HY35 is what was put in the last 5.9s and the the HE351CW is what is in the new 6.7 cummins put in the dodge truck from Late 07 thru present year.
The HX35 will hold up to anything you can throw at it.........unless you block the waste gate from opening.BOOM!
There is also a HX40 but by the time you're there, there is way better aftermarket turbos that will out perform that one.
The HX35 is just a well rounded turbo(and cheaper) for what you're doing then spending the big $$$$ to go aftermarket.

Hmm i thought that the he351cw was the 6.7 if it has a wastegate, it is NOT the 6.7 one that i said was so huge. the 6.7 does not have a wastegate!

will the hx35 bolt to my manifold,
I understand may have to clock the turbo
All turbos discussed so far will need to be clocked to fit your current non intercooled setup. No problem, easy to clock.

Ok i learned something!
351CW is a late 5.9 turbo(has a wastegate) 351VE is the the 6.7 turbo(no wastegate) the 6.7 also has this huge flat spot on the exh housing.
Holset Turbo HE351VE Cummins Diesel | eBay

Yesterday
I removed the power screw collar
turned it up.
advanced the timing 1/8" more> all ready skipped a tooth
also installed the 3800 gov spring.
Results>>>>

appears to much timing
60ft fell off as did et
but mph picked up>due to changing the governor spring

I need to get a tach on the rpm's to see where I'm stalling at
the converter is out of an airport tug > stall VERY low
I have a stock converter out of a 92 518 trans > would it be higher/help the launch ?

next is to decide on a bigger turbo, which I need help, cause I don't know which one to try...

time slip tonight > working on reaction times
SAM_3740_zpssdlgmybw.jpg

times from last week
SAM_3737_zpsdpfcjbtl.jpg

2 interesting time slip
Friday on the left
Tuesday (tonight) on the right
SAM_3741_zps5xyhez2g.jpg

Once I get the valve springs changed, I'll take it to bowling green for some 1/4 mile runs ( take some timing out)
Just as it started to pull hard, up came the finish line (1/8 mile)....lol

Last edited:
Yesterday
I removed the power screw collar
turned it up.
advanced the timing 1/8" more> all ready skipped a tooth
also installed the 3800 gov spring.
Results>>>>

appears to much timing
60ft fell off as did et
but mph picked up>due to changing the governor spring

I need to get a tack on the rpm's to see where I'm stalling at
the converter is out of an airport tug > stall VERY low
I have a stock converter out of a 92 518 trans > would it be higher/help the launch ?

next is to decide on a bigger turbo, which I need help, cause I don't know which one to try...

time slip tonight > working on reaction times
SAM_3740_zpssdlgmybw.jpg

times from last week
SAM_3737_zpsdpfcjbtl.jpg

2 interesting time slip
Friday on the left
Tuesday (tonight) on the right
SAM_3741_zps5xyhez2g.jpg

Once I get the valve springs changed, I'll take it to bowling green for some 1/4 mile runs ( take so timing out)
Just as it started to pull hard, up came the finish line (1/8 mile)....lol
Give us some heads up or pm me when you you're heading to BG. I'll run up there and watch you run!

Isn't the 518 a lock up converter? if so, then no, won't work. All the Holset 35 will make a great improvement over your present turbo just because it has a 12cm exhaust housing that will spool up like mad compared to you baby holset that has, at the vary, most a 18cm and i'm willing to bet that is a 21(won't spool up until high gear)
The one that i had on my 91 non intercooled was off of a 97 and the difference was night and day!
The difference between the 35(hx,hy) compared to the 351. The 351 will spool slightly sooner. So the best on to find is the 351. and all of these turbos will bolt onto your exhaust manifold. all will require clocking to fit your application and all will require modification to the oil drain back to the block. for all the work that you have done to that car, these mods will be simple!!! Just pull the lever and buy one. Ask for a picture of the fresh air side of the turbo. If the wheel had rubbed the housing,move one.

You need a tach and most important is a Pyro!!!!!! don't leave home without it!:poke::D

You need a tach and most important is a Pyro!!!!!! don't leave home without it!:poke::D

Thanks again, for the info

The 518 is NON-lock up, 618 is lock-up
when I built the car, had to choose between the airport tug and the 92 /518 convertor.
was told to use the lower stall/tighter convertor.

I'm going to try a bigger turbo first,(351) then see about changing convertor

pyro, boost and fuel gauges is the first thing I installed
beside water temp and oil pressure to monitor the engine.

Thought I could use boost gauge to stage the car, really need a tach.

SAM_3745_zpsvjkyyyhk.jpg

It's kind of a catch 22. if you have a higher stall, you can get more stall/boost off the line but if it's too loose you just generate heat instead of power down track. were a tight one make it difficult to gain boost of the line but pulls harder on the top.
Today's converter are nothing like that. You have old SLOPPY converters (both of them)
You will gain more ET, and 60' with better turbo, than experimenting with the other converter.
the 351s seem to be more available, there for, less expensive. 35 or 351, whichever one is in better shape is how i would decide. like i said the 351s seem to be a lot more available these days.
It will wake it up!!!!

One more thing, be careful putting to much timing in. aspecialy with it already advanced one tooth.:eek:
The more you advance it the more your pyro will LIE to you. the less timing the more the fuel will burn out side the combustion chamber(higher Egts) The more you advance the timing the more the heat will increase in the combustion chamber (lower egts but higher potential to melt a piston. You're nowhere near that just yet, but something to keep in mind.
If you hadn't jumped it a tooth, i would say shove it to the head and you will be just about right!
can't wait for another ET with the new turbo. It will be notable!!!
Then meth/water injection to keep the egt down and a little extra kick as well. Ok getting ahead of myself, let's see what the turbo will do first:D

took the car to my friend Brad, to look at.
showed him the time slips, he also said to move the pump back to where I first had it. jumping one tooth was the same as pushing the pump to the head
he suggested the 351 turbo also.
5 x12 injectors and has a pump to try that has been modified for more flow
right now, I'm shopping for a turbo
found some used ones, thinking about this re-man one
DODGE 04-07 5.9L TURBO Holset OE Reman HE351CW Turbo Cummins ISB 5.9 By New core

looking next to see where to get injectors

On a side note> he took me for a ride, in a 97 sleeper 2 wheel drive truck
compound turbos, manual shift 618 trans, dang thing even smoked the tires when going into lock-up ... I was very impressed

Last edited:
looks good!
will need to plug that open hole were the wastegate rubber hose hooks in.

them injectors is when you will really start rolling the smoke and when you will need to keep a good eye on your egts. still need to start with the turbo.

:D I predict that your 2.XX sixty foot time will be in the past after the turbo change.

-
Back