Turning a 74 into a 72

-
I haven't updated in a while so thought I would catch up some.

This first picture is my helper. My 7 year old Granddaughter Kailyn. She keeps the dart wiped down and vacuumed out.
She was born with a clasped lung and spent most of her first year of life in the hospital because her oxygen saturation level would drop off real low. But she out grew it by the age of two and is a real spit fire now!

74%20dart%20185.jpg

I got bored with wet sanding and decided to put the dash in and install the floor shift steering column that I bought and rebuilt. I probably should have waited because now I have to try and keep it clean while I wet sanding but I just keep it coverd up with plastic and that seem to work okay. Oh and I wasn't the one who butchered speaker holes in the door panels. LOL

74%20dart%20192.jpg

Today I've been working on the driver side trying to get it all wet sanded and buffed out.
In the first picture you can see up by the front running light I had a couple of bad runs. So looks like I'll be doing some touch up painting come warmer weather.

74%20dart%20193.jpg

74%20dart%20194.jpg

SO that's where I'm at not a lot accomplished I've been working on it as time allows but with spring just around the corner I'l get my butt in gear and get to work.
I want to get the wet sanding and buffing done so I can start on the interior and new wiring.
I'll tell you one thing sometime I wish I would have had someone who knows how to paint do the spraying for me. I'll bet I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I would have.

This has been one great thread, I went back and read every post from the time it was started. I really like seeing restos like this, great job and keep the updates coming. The satisfaction and appreciation for the car a person feels after doing the complete job themselves is a great feeling. Thanks for sharing.

I check in on it every once in a while. Looks great and I love the color. I am painting my truck a similar color right now. Hurry up and get that thing on the road.

i am just in awe of the progress...I hope that soon i can find the time and money to do a complete resto of my 75.

i am just in awe of the progress...I hope that soon i can find the time and money to do a complete resto of my 75.

Thanks, good luck on your build. I was looking at your thread about paint ideas for your dart yesterday. It all starts with an idea of what you want and it's sure is fun to see the transformation as you go along.

Thanks, good luck on your build. I was looking at your thread about paint ideas for your dart yesterday. It all starts with an idea of what you want and it's sure is fun to see the transformation as you go along.

well thanks for looking. A few years ago i used to be contacted by the local paint shops for my services but since 2009 no one has called. So 2 years later Im still doing it but mainly for kicks. No that i have my dart its been all about what i want it to look like. and i hope that the end result will be as amazing as yours.

looks great man, i just got a 70 duster 340-4 speed car i am starting on .. no pics yet juet signed up and i read every post as well would love to get together with you any time man and see your car is it done yet? that looks like about the same color i am going to paint my duster, Saphire blue Mettalic. as well as i want to do all the bannering and such Green ( Go Seahawks) hehe. I live up in arlington if ya ever would like to get together some time for a cup of coffee we could hook up at Buzz-Inn in smokey point i will PM you my Phone # would love to hear from ya thankx :)

Sweeeet.. I always see 73-up Darts at a 4 digit price range. My father had a 1972 he got beautiful tan stock 2-door with a 318. Only saw rust under the top. So he got it and drove it around about a year. It had a bad stering box.. So..Then after picking up the parts for a LBP swap and a rebuild kit he took it to a shop and found out the car was completely twisted from a wreck and that pervious owner used a dart with the same color front end so it all matched. It was so bad that the shop said it was better to part it out than trying to strech the car back out. They said it would never be close perfect again. So buyer beware there are a lot of patched up rusted and totaled cars out there. But on the lighter side.. That is so freeaakin sweeet. I never saw someone do this before.. awwwsome project

I'm thinking about these wheels for my dart, but can't decide on 15" or 17"
Kind of leaning towards 15".

http://www.cragarwheel.com/_img/wheels/large/500C_eliminator_A1240794295.jpg

Put in some brackets to mount the shifter to so it could be in the middle of the car rather then in the middle of the hump.

74%252520dart%252520240.jpg

74%252520dart%252520241.jpg

That's about all I've done for awhile, just starting to feel like working on it again.

8) Stan, It's so great to see that you're feeling up to working on the Dart again. I would be all over 17's on that car if it were mine, but it's not LOL. Nice wheel choice either size you decide :thumbup:

And congrats on 3,000 posts too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks C, I have been thinking about the 17's, Seems like there is a better choice of tires for the larger rims now then the 15's.
Talked with my folks down in Yuma awhile ago they said it was 95 during happy hour tonight. Still a little to hot for me! It's in the 50's here and of coarse raining.

Bigger wheels are kind of preference & look, but not for everyone....as I'm sure you've seen in many posts and polls here on FABO. I like cars in all shapes and sizes, so do what you see for your vision for your car.

Are your folks staying here year round now or did they just make it here recently? The evenings right now are puuuurrrrfect for outside activities.

Sorry to hear about the rain....plz send some this way :toothy2:

My folks have been down there about a month now. Dad drove the motor home down this year, something I usually do. Only problem they had was a truck throwing up a rock and breaking the windshield out of the motor home. But that has been fixed and their enjoying it down there.

Bought a sway bar and LCAs with sway bar tabs on them last week. Had new bushings pressed in the LCAs and replaced the end bushings. So today was installation day.

74%252520dart%252520242.jpg

74%252520dart%252520244.jpg

74%252520dart%252520243.jpg

74%252520dart%252520245.jpg

Installation went fairly smooth, probably helped that I had everything apart awhile back so it all came back apart easy.
Hardest part was crawling under the dart and back out about 50 times!:tongue10:

Looking sweet Bro man i cant wait to see it :), i been busy but i will be calling you soon so we can hook up. I was soposed to get a doner car last weekend for my 70 Duster and the dude is flaking out on me but it is comming up from Orgon, other wise i was going to call ya last weekend haha, You what they say Best laid plans oh well :) looking sweet so far

Hi Jerry, Felt good to get back out in the shop and get something done to the dart.
We'll have to get together for one of these two things. :coffee2: or:drinkers:

Nice to see that front end coming together.

"Hardest part was crawling under the dart and back out about 50 times!"

Ain't it the truth!

Grant

well going to go pick up some better fenders hood doors grill for my duster today if it is not too rainy hehe i need to start getting a few pics of what i got going on here befor i get to much done hehe :) ok well everyone have a Great T-day if i dont see from ya b4 :)

-
Back