**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
I sure hope you are looking at some more tire on the back of that thing.

I sure hope you are looking at some more tire on the back of that thing.

A big tire is not really needed with today's technology, guys are going super fast with smaller tires under their cars, Radials too:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7j4R23bud8"]Radial Rumble Lights Out 3 February Race 2012 SGMP - YouTube[/ame]

The Painter came over and did a real good look over the car yesterday. This is a good guy deal, most of the body work will be done right in my shop. He was tripping out at how straight the car is with no rust repairs to fix except a nickel size on the lower passenger side door which is standard procedure on a Mopar.

My other friend owns a Sand/Media Blasting company and is going to blast the complete car inside/out and underneath for $500.00

The body/paint guy will weld up the trim holes, prep the car complete shoot new undercoating, Jambs with doors and fenders removed, paint the dash, interior panels, paint the cage same color as the car, engine compartment, trunk and inside the car complete for $4500.00. He will be using a 2 Stage paint and he is wanting to use Water Base. He says a Bright Silver Metallic will absolutely POP in a Water Base. I know nothing about paint but it seems like a very fair price. I am sure that when he gets going on it the price will move some like any other project.

Should I not allow him to use a "Water Base"??

It's real hard to match if you ever need repairs. I know cause my buddy had his painted with water base PPG paint.

The 70 Swinger was painted water base with high solids clear, and yes, the color is very bright and vibrant. The body man indicated that repairs would be no problem. Ive heard conflicting comments on the water base. one its suppose to be better for the environment, but i heard its easily injested into the skin requiring the painter to be carefully covered.

Man silver will look AWESOME! I know you will probably go black,but, a red interior in a silver car is probably one of my all time favorite combos in a Mopar.

The 70 Swinger was painted water base with high solids clear, and yes, the color is very bright and vibrant. The body man indicated that repairs would be no problem. Ive heard conflicting comments on the water base. one its suppose to be better for the environment, but i heard its easily injested into the skin requiring the painter to be carefully covered.

Yes your paint sure does POP. All paints will soon be water based here in California so I may as well go with the flow.

Man silver will look AWESOME! I know you will probably go black,but, a red interior in a silver car is probably one of my all time favorite combos in a Mopar.

Nope its going Bright Silver Metallic! That is one thing I will not change my mind on. Red Interior with a Clean Red Pinstripe where the molding is being removed. Just enough to set it off, nothing crazy.

Nope its going Bright Silver Metallic! That is one thing I will not change my mind on. Red Interior with a Clean Red Pinstripe where the molding is being removed. Just enough to set it off, nothing crazy.

I meant black interior Louis! Red is gonna rule in that thing mang!

Oh man, no way will it be black. I really like the Red so it will stay that way for sure. I will even have some 5 point harneses dyed the same color so it all matches! :D

Hey Louis, glad to see you are making progress!

I just used PPG waterbase for the first time on my Charger and I like it! Excellent coverage too. There is a little more to getting it dry but it really does lay out nice. I think that California has issues with shops using solvent based paints!

Since you are going silver check out Dodges' PS2 Bright Silver Metallic. That is the color of my SRT and it is Beautiful!!! When the sun sets you can see color shift from the horizon that mimicks the colors like orange and red. The metallics act like a mirror! I believe it is also a Mercedes color.

Again, "BEAUTIFUL" color!!!

Hey Louis, glad to see you are making progress!

I just used PPG waterbase for the first time on my Charger and I like it! Excellent coverage too. There is a little more to getting it dry but it really does lay out nice. I think that California has issues with shops using solvent based paints!

Since you are going silver check out Dodges' PS2 Bright Silver Metallic. That is the color of my SRT and it is Beautiful!!! When the sun sets you can see color shift from the horizon that mimicks the colors like orange and red. The metallics act like a mirror! I believe it is also a Mercedes color.

Again, "BEAUTIFUL" color!!!

Thanks for the info!
I just watched HOT ROD TV and they were showing the different dry times using different chemicals when spraying PPG water base and how they affect the drying time. They showed a clip of all 3 products drying out on paper after they sprayed it, there is definitely a difference depending on what you use.

What Clear did you use??

Thanks for the info!
I just watched HOT ROD TV and they were showing the different dry times using different chemicals when spraying PPG water base and how they affect the drying time. They showed a clip of all 3 products drying out on paper after they sprayed it, there is definitely a difference depending on what you use.

What Clear did you use??

PPG 4000. Its pricey though! I also like PPG 2021.

PPG 2021 is illegal in CA in most places. I know a place that will sell it too me but I have to find someone to spray it

4000 is too I bet!

Probably. But if you can get it, best to have a place to spray it and have a personal painter that is willing to. I want to use this clear as well. I just need to find someone to shoot this clear.

Probably. But if you can get it, best to have a place to spray it and have a personal painter that is willing to. I want to use this clear as well. I just need to find someone to shoot this clear.
I am a veteran painter. 4000 is easy to use! Mixes 4:1:1 and two medium coats. I always spray a third coat overreduced by 20% and it lays like glass!

-
Back