TWO........ 1965 dart chargers I purchased over the years

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
Just wanted to share with you guys out there that I had owned a couple 65 dodge dart charger cars over the years.
I purchased these 1965 dart /chargers 273 commando with auto cars over the years.
the first one I restored back in the 80's and other i just bought it, got a few things straightened out on it and sold in the 90's.

both were absolutely rust free. and were in wisconsin.
I have a full details on the description on both cars on another listing. here . scroll down you will see it. Thanks !

MY recent mopar is another 65 dart ... "ragtop " with a mopar magnum crate 360 engine "stroker" 402 ci in. all set up for drag racing. 11.0 's on motor.
It is a BEAST ! small Blocks ROCK !

Attachments

• scan 65 # 1 dartcharger.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 211
  • scan dart charger #2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 215
  • raggie at tower by tree BEST BEST.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 184
  • raggie pass rear side BEST BEST BEST.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 183
  • raggie in the aire NICE best.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 128
I will have to say, I really like these cars. I would like to think that I know mopars well, but don't know this model well how about educating me on these. Production numbers, and and other info you might think useful. Vaule also.....

65 Dartcharger is the resident expert on the DartCharger. I'm sure he will chime in

There is a guy with the user name ... 65dartcharger ... up on this topic also restoring a 65 dart charger from top to bottom .. He has everything you would want to know up on site or you can google this car and a whole lot of info is there too.
I would not where to begin. mopar just wanted to stay ahead of the competitors back in 1965 ... so they added a few more options to the dart GT to make attract more buyers. the dart chargers were only painted the color pale yellow. special mag wheels and dartcharger 273 badges on the fenders and corner of dash. heavy duty suspension. a cool sounding exhaust sound . hope that info helps. only made 180 of these dart chargers.

I know Ulf and follow his thread, just thought I could pick your brain a little. Thanks for the info

The
Dart Charger Story

In 1964 Dodge launched the "DartCharger" to promote the Charger name for 1966 production as well as get closer the accelerating sales of the Ford Mustang. Plymouth had the Barracuda but Dodge didn’t have any cars in that field. Latest info in this matter is that the Dodge dealers association in Los Angeles/Orange County stood behind these cars so they had something to compete with. (More info will show up later!)

The DartCharger was born!

Starting in late August or beginning of September 1964 all cars were built at the Los Angeles plant. Some of the “dealer cars” was produced at Los Angeles and Detroit plant. Until now no dealer kit car has been found from the St Louis plant. The dealer kit car was simply a kit with the DartCharger stuff that was to be added on any 273 HP Dart at the salesroom.

The DartCharger came in two body styles; 2 dr hardtop or convertible. All factory cars were light yellow with two options for the interior; black interior or white/gold interior. The convertible top was always black. Hardtop cars came with standard painted roof in light yellow. Optional were black or white vinyl roof. The interior was black but in late December 1964 they offered for hardtops only, white and gold interior which was availible until late March 1965.

The LA plant produced some 180 DartChargers. They all have paint code 991 or 999 on the fendertag. All cars had DartCharger badges on each fender as well as on the dash. The center dome on the Cragar wheels was cut out and put a DartCharger emblem on! Some of the DartChargers were sold without the emblems. What I know of is two cars! According to the dealers that I have spoken with about 30% of the DartChargers was convertibles and the rest hardtops.

All the factory cars had following equipment;

273x4 Charger engine
904 HD transmission or 4 speed Hurst shifted manual transmission
suregrip - (optional)
HD suspension (optional)
Cragar S/S 13x6 wheels
front & rear bumperguards
Radio w/antenna
Woodgrained steering wheel
Standard mirror (after Nov 20, -64 all cars had outside adjustable mirror)
Night/Day mirror
Spare tire on standard rim 13x4,5
Power steering
Power brakes
Power top (convertible)
Interior light kit
Air condition - (optional)

The DartChargers were produced until March 1965 when Dodge launched the Dart Go/go package for sale. At this time the yellow paint was introduced as "spring color". The deal Dodge offered the dealers about the DartChargers was to buy at least 5 cars. Always arrived on Friday and the sale was the same weekend with good result according to the dealers that I’ve spoked with.

What I have found out up til now Dodge launched the DartCharger kit “dealer kit” in November 1964 that the dealers could put on any cars that they had in stock. That's how it came up red, ivory and blue DartChargers kitcars. The most odd dealercar is two Dart 270 2 dr hardtop DartChargers in California!! The dealerkits was produced in 300 units.
The Dart go/go package could be put on a Dart even with a slant six!

been driving mopars since and never heard of a "dart charger" After reading the above, the only difference was the color scheme so what is the attraction versus a commando 273/235 hp car?

The only rare item I found for a commando car was a 273 rated ate 275hp speciffic to 66 commando motor. Any info about this?

-
Back