Uh-Oh! Cam Bearing Time!!!

-
Yeah, it more than needs new cam bearings. lol
It's getting a ReGrind from RacerBrown, Nos TRW Lifters, Some Nos Rings from Chrysler, Nos Std Rod Bearings and a Used Windage Tray...
Clean and Hone, Blah, blah... All Old Parts in Old Boxes.
All done on a budget and gonna do it all from home!
Haven't decided on the Cam Bearings yet, Maybe the 1484M Federal Mogul from Sealed Power???

outside.jpg

It's getting a ReGrind from RacerBrown, Nos TRW Lifters, Some Nos Rings from Chrysler, Nos Std Rod Bearings and a Used Windage Tray...
Clean and Hone, Blah, blah... All Old Parts in Old Boxes.
All done on a budget and gonna do it all from home!
Haven't decided on the Cam Bearings yet, Maybe the 1484M Federal Mogul from Sealed Power???

View attachment 1715827444
Sounds like fun to me!

Ima’ get in trouble for this one, but if I were into it that deep I would be upgrading to a 318 block and pistons. But that’s just because I have a later model 318 that was gifted to me. Of course the first choice (at least to me) would be a bare 340 block to put all the 273 internals into, but that’s a budget breaker.

:thumbsup:Dude, You ROCK!!! I thought I might have to buy one for $200 but even That fell-thru... :thankyou:
Hey let’s not get ahead of ourselves here! Renting out whatever I can helps me: A- Buy More Goodies & B- Clear up shelf space to make some floor space for some much needed garage cleaning.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a cam bearing from my 340. Its the original bearing installed by chrysler. This flaking or debonding of bearing material can happen with age, or lack of maintenance. On this particular engine the cam bearing oil holes were not lined up well at all. The cam journals were fine on the cam.

20180916_194116.jpg

Here is a picture of a cam bearing from my 340. Its the original bearing installed by chrysler. This flaking or debonding of bearing material can happen with age, or lack of maintenance. On this particular engine the cam bearing oil holes were not lined up well at all. The cam journals were fine on the cam.

View attachment 1715827601

That's what the cam bearings in my street Hemi looked like when I rebuilt it. Replaced the bearings, cam was OK and I re-used it. In fact, it still has the same cam in it almost 30 years later.

Ima’ get in trouble for this one, but if I were into it that deep I would be upgrading to a 318 block and pistons. But that’s just because I have a later model 318 that was gifted to me. Of course the first choice (at least to me) would be a bare 340 block to put all the 273 internals into, but that’s a budget breaker.
:mad::icon_fU::mob::poke::p:realcrazy::BangHead:

Yessir! I knew I was asking for trouble on that one. I like the 273 pretty well, too, but I just wish they had made it a little more compact than the larger displacement LA's.

-
Back