Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Finally finished with the wiring. Went and bought a Optima. Hooked up the battery, checked the cutoff switch, no power, turned it on, system has power. Turned on ignition key and connected the ignition lead for the fuel pump relay, fuel pump works. Now it's back to the fuel system. I may bag that aluminum tank and go back toi the stock tank.

GGs66GT, I was thinking about cutting the spare tire well also. I thought welding a floor back in for strength and using a 62-65 Fairlane tank was a better option.

is the fair lane tank like a mustang tank ?? where the tank is the trunk floor ?

Well guys, I've reconsidered my plans for that round tank. I've decided to go with a new stock tank with a sump welded in. I didn't like the idea of cutting out the tire well. After mocking up the tank in several different ways it just came back down to going back to the stock tank. So if anyone wants an unused custom tank it's up for grabs.

I'm also looking for some 1 3/4 fenderwells. I have several sets of 1 5/8 but based on talking with several people who have raced the 273, the 1 3/4 tubes work the best.

dart4forte,there,s a guy selling the same hedman huslers as mine(1 7/8 tubes)just there not coated.Good price to..$450.Maybe check the Early-A,s disscussions,cause I can,t remember his name.Good luck.Or Parts for sale.

is the fair lane tank like a mustang tank ?? where the tank is the trunk floor ?

No, the Fairlane tank sits below the trunk floor. The Fairlane tank is about 26" wide, leaving plenty of room inside the frame rails for exhaust on a mini-tubbed car.

dart4forte,there,s a guy selling the same hedman huslers as mine(1 7/8 tubes)just there not coated.Good price to..$450.Maybe check the Early-A,s disscussions,cause I can,t remember his name.Good luck.Or Parts for sale.

Thanks. 1 7/8 is too big for the 273. i've talked with several of the old junior Stock racers that ran that motor and they all say go with 1 3/4. Thanks for the tip. I'm in conversation with a guy down in Cali on a set of 1 3/4's

No, the Fairlane tank sits below the trunk floor. The Fairlane tank is about 26" wide, leaving plenty of room inside the frame rails for exhaust on a mini-tubbed car.

any pics of the fair lane tank ?? im looking for some thing i may be able to fit in place of a fuel cell,,,to give me some truck space back,,thanks

Scored a custom set of 1 3/4" fenderwell headers already coated

Took a break to resto a 71 Road Runner. That car is done now so it's back on. Going out to the shop to pick it up and take it to where we'll fire the motor

Finally got my shifter sorted out. Buddy of mine made a mounting bracket that raises the shifter 2 inches.

Attachments

• Shifter.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 463
Well guys, after a long break from the project due to my health I'm hitting it again. Brakes are all finished, just need to bleed, ran fuel through the system and no leaks. All the fluids are topped off and ready to go. Pretty much made some minor changes but for now the priority is to make some fire. Here's some pics I took today after spending much of the afternoon under the dash adjusting the brake peddle and replacing the brake switch.

Attachments

• Dart 5 Feb12.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 412
  • Dart 4 Feb12.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 437
  • Dart 3 Feb12.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Dart2 Feb12.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Dart 1 Feb12.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 420
Glad to hear you got your health back!Also nice to see you back working on the Dart.Are you still planning to take it to the SaltFlats??:thumbup:

Glad to hear you got your health back!Also nice to see you back working on the Dart.Are you still planning to take it to the SaltFlats??:thumbup:

Well I'm still kinda leaning that way however the heart problem make be a bit of a barrier

Well after chasing a ignition grimlin she fired. Have to sort out the cars, re-adjust the valves and perform surgery on a tach drive distributor. Thanks Jim, you sure build good motors

Awesome! Being someone who has followed this thread from the beginning it's great to hear she is up and running!

Thought I would provide another update. Engine fired and tuned. I need to sort out the steering column harness so that i can get signal and brake lights. I'll be taking her out Friday to seat the rings. Still dabbling with the carb linkage however I think I have that sorted out. Using a system similar to the hemi linkage. Throttle response is awesome. I'll have to experiment a little since the carbs are modified for instant full throttle. I'll have to figure out how to make a video. The exhaust has a wicked sound with using only the Commando resonator. Now all i need to do is the roll bar so i can sort out some kind of interior.

Finally got my shifter sorted out. Buddy of mine made a mounting bracket that raises the shifter 2 inches.

QUESTION,,, why did you have to raise your shifter 2 inches ?? and what did you do with the shifter linkage ???

QUESTION,,, why did you have to raise your shifter 2 inches ?? and what did you do with the shifter linkage ???

My buddy who races a stocker made the suggestion to get the shifter a little higher. It's a little more comfortable as I don't have to lean forward due to the short stick. He fabbed the bracket out of aluminum. Made a big differance. No problem with the super shifter rods

My buddy who races a stocker made the suggestion to get the shifter a little higher. It's a little more comfortable as I don't have to lean forward due to the short stick. He fabbed the bracket out of aluminum. Made a big differance. No problem with the super shifter rods

nice ,thanks,,,if u get time can u get a pic of how high the shifter sits ?? i have the same shifter,,and i use a slightly curved shift stick,,,with a locally made modern pistol grip handle,,that looks like a mordern prostock handle,,,ide love to have a little more curve back towards me but ide have to make a custom lever,,,

Attachments

• fstfish66 digitial oct 2007 043.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 315
nice ,thanks,,,if u get time can u get a pic of how high the shifter sits ?? i have the same shifter,,and i use a slightly curved shift stick,,,with a locally made modern pistol grip handle,,that looks like a mordern prostock handle,,,ide love to have a little more curve back towards me but ide have to make a custom lever,,,

I'll try and get you a closeup pic tomorrow

Here's some pics of the shifter mount. I didn't have it on the rack so I wasn't able to get pics of the lower portion

Attachments

• SAM_0401.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 272
  • SAM_0402.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 291
  • SAM_0403.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 286
-
Back