Update on My 64 Dart project

-
you may want to grind a little off that center link for clearance or shim the motor mount,,,dont need sparks,,,from arking

We figured the fix. First a little dab of silicone over the bare spot. Once dry I'll apply two pieces of shrink tube. I made a tab to hold it tighter to the case. Lastly, I'll take your suggestion and cut the stud down.

oh its the stud hitting the starter.,. ok i thought it was the center link it self,,,either way im sure you will get it resolved,,,

oh its the stud hitting the starter.,. ok i thought it was the center link it self,,,either way im sure you will get it resolved,,,

Sorry for the confusion, yes it's the stud. Seems like it runs a little too close. I'm sure it's no problem with a stock starter. This is why I started this thread, so others that are considering such a project can learn from my hit and misses.

is that a dakota/ram starter ?? same sold thru moparperformance ?? i believe it is smaler then the orignal huge starter,,

Well I re-installed the starter yesterday and after getting the lower cable as high as it will go the stud from the pitman arm still hits even after trimming the stud. So I guess a fullsize starter is in order.

i ran that starter for years in my 66 when i still had all the stock front suapension,,with no problems,, and so do a lot of others,,, how much we talking here??? ide say if you shimmed that side motor mount 1/8 you would be good to go,,,is that a mopar or after market starter ??

i ran that starter for years in my 66 when i still had all the stock front suapension,,with no problems,, and so do a lot of others,,, how much we talking here??? ide say if you shimmed that side motor mount 1/8 you would be good to go,,,is that a mopar or after market starter ??

Aftermarket starter. I am going to take your suggestion and shim it on the driver side. Can't hurt to try.

I shaved the stud and shimmed the motor just a tick on my hardtop 66. Works fine now. Looking good.

Thank you for keeping us updated :cheers:
I like the way you did the battery in the trunk =P~ I will see about doing a mounting plate for my relays and I will be mounting in Victoria's truck :happy10: thank you for your wisdom you shared with me here.:read2:
You sure have things moving forward :cheers:

I ended up having to shim mine a bit too. just got some scrap 1/4" plate and cut a couple plates. helped out with my centerlink being a tad too close to the pan too.

remove the adpater that the cables bolt too. I have never had that problem with the mini starters and I sell a lot of them.

my mini starter is the one that was sold thru mopar performance in the 1980s then became the production starter on the dakota and ram trucks,, shimming should do the trick,,

I have the mini starter and didn't remember having this problem either. I do remember my pushbutton cables getting hit by the pitman arm being I routed them under the starter so I've relocated them and checked for clearance. I too removed the starter adapter that came with it. Jayson

I have the mini starter and didn't remember having this problem either. I do remember my pushbutton cables getting hit by the pitman arm being I routed them under the starter so I've relocated them and checked for clearance. I too removed the starter adapter that came with it. Jayson

It's the cable that runs between the starter and the solonoid. On the bottom of the starter.

Just coming home from Arizona. Will be getting back on the Dart next week.

I've been slackin lately. Working on the vert, getting it ready for SpringFling. Sold the Charger so now I can get the cage going and re-do the front brakes. Going Aerospace.

Just wanted to let those who are following this thread that I'll be starting back on the Dart after Springfling. Just had to finish my 64 Dart vert.

Glad to hear one of thems done.I,m plugging away changeing the 66 Dart again.Right now just fitting for fenderwells,had a rearend shortened(waiting for my axels)and installing a cage from S&W Racing.If all goes well,should be done in May.:cheers:

Glad to hear one of thems done.I,m plugging away changeing the 66 Dart again.Right now just fitting for fenderwells,had a rearend shortened(waiting for my axels)and installing a cage from S&W Racing.If all goes well,should be done in May.:cheers:

Which headers are you using?

Which headers are you using?
I,m using the Hedman Huslers part# 75110-66 1 7/8 tubes.
car pics 66 Dart 136.jpg
car pics 66 Dart 150.jpg
I noticed on your 64 vert,that you have your motor mounts on the front of the ears?Supposed to be mounted behind the ears.

car pics 66 Dart 136.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 150.jpg

Thanks. That may be a bit much for my 273. I was thinking 1 3/4" That will work nicely in your application

Thanks. That may be a bit much for my 273. I was thinking 1 3/4" That will work nicely in your application
Apparently TTI is making step headers now 1 5/8 to 1 3/4.When I started searching for the bigger tube headers,they only made them for W-2 heads.Figures they make the step ones now.Dougs 1 5/8 were like peashooters LOL.

Apparently TTI is making step headers now 1 5/8 to 1 3/4.When I started searching for the bigger tube headers,they only made them for W-2 heads.Figures they make the step ones now.Dougs 1 5/8 were like peashooters LOL.

I had TTIs and decided to go fenderwell. Not enough room for chassis clearance. they were a PIA to install and you had to have a starter that clocked.

-
Back