Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Here's some pics of what I got done today. Finished up plumbing the engine. I need to insulate the fuel line. I also plumbed the oil pressure line which is also baided into a bulkhead fitting. The round disk on the left hand side of the firewall where the tach cable comes through is called a "Seals It" I got them from Summitt. Totally seals around the cable.

Mtr Plumbing.JPG

Mtr Plumbing 2.JPG

Finished up the engine compartment wiring. Decided the voltage regulator and the starter relay needed to be moved. It was too crowded arond the distributor. All I need to do is the MSD which will be one red wire in the engine compartment. Everything else will inside. I have a MSD bulkhead fitting for the coil wire which I still need to decide where to put it.

Regulator and Relay wiring.JPG

Mounted trhe tach and the oil and water temp gauges. An oil warning light as well as a shift light will be mounted by the tach. I'll plumb the water temp gauge when I decide ghow I want to route it.

Interior Work.JPG

Tach Mounting.JPG

I decided that the billet battery box I had mounted was a little too "Ricer Bling" for my taste. I also decided I didn't want to go with an Optima battery. I ordered a battery box from Speedway Motors. I need to pickup the battery tomorrow.

New Battery Box.JPG

Just putting the finishing touches on the wiring harness for the remote battery

Finally got the wiring figured out with the correct diagram so the remote switch will kill everything should it have to be used in an emergency (lets hope not). The motor is 99% ready to fire. I have a one wire alternator that I need to mount, bolt up the radiator, valve adjustment one more time, water in the rad, race fuel in the tank, check for fuel leaks and we will be ready to light her fire.

273 November 8.JPG

Looking forward to hearing her run.Your so close,keep up the great work!

It's getting close to having thunder. I have all the battery cable/elec. wired now so that when the kill switch is hit it shuts everything down. Finishing the trans tunnel this weekend

Trailered the car back to the shop to use the lift and do some welding. My buddies son is a rather good fabricator/welder so he's going to tackle the tranny hump and finish the tras tunnel. Here's some pics of the car under some better light. Sorry, my flash wan't turned on

Dart Dec 09.JPG

Dart Dec 09 #2.JPG

Dart Dec 09 #3.JPG

Hey is that a starter motor I hear...... rigida rigida rigida. Can't wait to hear her run. Looking good dart4forte!

Got some more things done on the Dart today. The welding and fab work on the trans tunnel is complete so I went ahead and applied several coats of POR15. I also mounted my battery box. While working in the shop the ole Dart had some good company. The yellow bird is a one owner and has 62K original miles. The white bird is owned by the same original owner and is a low mileage car, This guy drives them around even in the winter. He'll be putting chains on the yellow on. Oh, by the wat, he has three more.

batteryboxinstall.JPG

trannytunnel1.JPG

trannytunnelpor15.JPG

trunkbattwireRY.jpg

superbird.JPG

superbird2.JPG

superbird3.JPG

superbirdengine.JPG

nice wiring diagram,,,did you write it ir ??

also who ownes the 1940 blue dodge sedan in the back round ??has this front end as in my pic

DSCN0104.jpg

nice wiring diagram,,,did you write it ir ??

also who ownes the 1940 blue dodge sedan in the back round ??has this front end as in my pic

It's one of my buddies customers. It's pretty much all original, taken out of a barn. They squirted some Sea Foam in the cylinders, turned it over by hand and a few cranks she started right up. Has a flathead six. They guy is having a wiring problem though. You wouldn't by chance have a wiring diagram for the 40?

Oh, and the wiring diagram, got it from a Moparts member.

It's one of my buddies customers. It's pretty much all original, taken out of a barn. They squirted some Sea Foam in the cylinders, turned it over by hand and a few cranks she started right up. Has a flathead six. They guy is having a wiring problem though. You wouldn't by chance have a wiring diagram for the 40?

Oh, and the wiring diagram, got it from a Moparts member.

sorry no i dont hAVE an orignal wiring diagram,,my car is all rewired,,,,put a topic on moparts under the street rod section,,some one may have it,,or try classiccarwiring.com or google it,,you will be amazed what comes up

sorry no i dont hAVE an orignal wiring diagram,,my car is all rewired,,,,put a topic on moparts under the street rod section,,some one may have it,,or try classiccarwiring.com or google it,,you will be amazed what comes up

Thanks. I'll try that Classic Wiring site.

Ran into a bit of a problem. Was greasing up the front end when I notice that I have exposed wires on the lower wiring for the ministarter. Seems the center link just shy of the pitman arm mounting has rubbed the rubber covering bear (looking at the pic and the silver spot is the exposed wire). So I need to pull the starter and take it in and have the rubber cover replaced and see if I can re-route that wire a little higher away from the center link.

Dart Mini Starter  interferrance.JPG

you may want to grind a little off that center link for clearance or shim the motor mount,,,dont need sparks,,,from arking

you may want to grind a little off that center link for clearance or shim the motor mount,,,dont need sparks,,,from arking

I took the starter out this morning to survey the damage. Looks like the rubber is damaged, not the cable. The stud of the piman is the culprit. Looks like I may be able to lengthen the cable and re-route it. Don't really want to shim in that everything is now in place with all the clearances checked. If I shim now I may be startting a snowball effect. If I have to I'll put a stocker in.

-
Back