Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Been out of the loop lately but here's an update. I have a vendor that will make me a stainless tank that fits into the contours of the spare tire well. I'll post a pic when I get it.

Had the hot Rod shop in SoCal spec me an aluminum tank. Went ahead and ordered it. 16 gallon capcity. will be mounted in the spare tire well. It will be fully baffled, vented with sending unit.

I was wondering how you were making out with the car.Building 2 cars(1 vert)must be a hard task finding parts and such?Could you post pics of the new tank when you get it?Sounds interesting,good luck!8)

I was wondering how you were making out with the car.Building 2 cars(1 vert)must be a hard task finding parts and such?Could you post pics of the new tank when you get it?Sounds interesting,good luck!8)

The vert is finished, just a few odds n ends. I'm starting to pick-up where I left off on the post car. I am in the process of gathering parts to change over to another disk brake set-up. Going Aerospace brakes on the front replacing the Kelsy Hays disk set-up. That will be after the motor is fired and the car is driveable. The KH set-up is good for now. I'm in the process of starting to test my wiring and cables to insure I have the remote battery set-up correct. The motor is pretty much ready to fire, just need to get the fuel tank and plumb it. I took the stock tank out and used it on the vert. I had a heart attack last week and had a angioplasty on one of the arterys. i'm a little slow so i don't want to push it. I still plan a trip to the Salt Flats to gather info for my project. I need to order a roll cage kit and then find someone to do the welding. The welding has to be top notch so finding someone that charges reasonably will be a challange. I found a tech that lives in portland. OR that can tech the car and make a list of what I need to change/add to run the car at Bonneville. I'll leave it with him for a week. He charges $300. Money well worth it and basicly will clear me from no problems when i get to the saltFlats to run the car. many guys just show up and fail tech, can't run the car and have to go home. Having it teched in advance will save me some grief. I'm still on track to run the car in 2011. i may take it to the Mohave where they have a speed event there. That's in January 2011.

The vert is finished, just a few odds n ends. I'm starting to pick-up where I left off on the post car. I am in the process of gathering parts to change over to another disk brake set-up. Going Aerospace brakes on the front replacing the Kelsy Hays disk set-up. That will be after the motor is fired and the car is driveable. The KH set-up is good for now. I'm in the process of starting to test my wiring and cables to insure I have the remote battery set-up correct. The motor is pretty much ready to fire, just need to get the fuel tank and plumb it. I took the stock tank out and used it on the vert. I had a heart attack last week and had a angioplasty on one of the arterys. i'm a little slow so i don't want to push it. I still plan a trip to the Salt Flats to gather info for my project. I need to order a roll cage kit and then find someone to do the welding. The welding has to be top notch so finding someone that charges reasonably will be a challange. I found a tech that lives in portland. OR that can tech the car and make a list of what I need to change/add to run the car at Bonneville. I'll leave it with him for a week. He charges $300. Money well worth it and basicly will clear me from no problems when i get to the saltFlats to run the car. many guys just show up and fail tech, can't run the car and have to go home. Having it teched in advance will save me some grief. I'm still on track to run the car in 2011. i may take it to the Mohave where they have a speed event there. That's in January 2011.

hope ur feeling better,,,and good luck with ur plans to run the salt flats,,,that has to be an exciting event

Sorry to hear about your heart attack,must have been quite the scary feeling.I welded my 8 pt cage in myself(used to weld for a living)it was pre-bent and cut for 65-66 Dart(from S&W racing)$179 plus shipping.The salt flats sounds like a dream plan.Good luck with the car!

Thanks guys. Went and worked a bit on the car but I have to tell you I'm still not 100%. Wired in the Painless relay for the fuel pump and mocked up a mounting plate for the coil. All I need to do is run the yellow wire for the key start. I was going to mount it inside next to the MSD but I wanted to keep the coil wire short. All I need to do is cut the plate to size with a band saw. The coil will be mounted away from the firewall and insukled from the header heat. I'll pickup a battery tomorrow so I can start testing. As soon as I get the cage in I'll go ahead and splice into the starter cable and run that into a on/off switch mounter inside to the cage. I'll end up having a shutoff switch outside and one inside.

Thanks guys. Went and worked a bit on the car but I have to tell you I'm still not 100%. Wired in the Painless relay for the fuel pump and mocked up a mounting plate for the coil. All I need to do is run the yellow wire for the key start. I was going to mount it inside next to the MSD but I wanted to keep the coil wire short. All I need to do is cut the plate to size with a band saw. The coil will be mounted away from the firewall and insukled from the header heat. I'll pickup a battery tomorrow so I can start testing. As soon as I get the cage in I'll go ahead and splice into the starter cable and run that into a on/off switch mounter inside to the cage. I'll end up having a shutoff switch outside and one inside.

Worked some more on the car, got the MSD wired, bracket for the coil installed and coil mounted. Just need to wire in the hot lead and fround for the box. Ran out of wire so that will have to happen later, All I need to do now is mount the relay for the fuel pump, wire the ing switch wire and the wiring is done. All that's left is to circuit test.

Worked some more on the car, got the MSD wired, bracket for the coil installed and coil mounted. Just need to wire in the hot lead and fround for the box. Ran out of wire so that will have to happen later, All I need to do now is mount the relay for the fuel pump, wire the ing switch wire and the wiring is done. All that's left is to circuit test.

Well sorta back on it. After the heart problems my brother passed away in June so I haven't been working on the car. I did get the Hot Rod Shop to build me a custom fuel cell. I'll try and get some pictures of that.

Very sorry to hear about your brother, perhaps working on the car will help take your mind off things.

Thought I would give a little update since I haven't posted in awhile. Haven't done much as of lately due to my health and other life things getting in the way. I did however get the Hot Rod Shop fuel cell and will be mocking it up for install. The wiring is mostly finished, just need a battery and test everything out. Then we can fire the motor. Next step will be the roll cage. I am pricing different sets, S&W, Art morrison, Alston etc. I'll try and get some pics soon on the fuel cell install.

Well guys, been awhile. Finally feeling better and now starting back on the project. The motor is ready to fire. I'm picking up a dry cell battery tomorrow. We'll prime using an Accusump. I was telling everyone about the custom tank I had made. The Hotrod Shop made me a tank that fits in the spare tire well. I just need to figure out how I want to mount it. It has a bung with a twist on cap filling but I'm thinking of welding on a 90 degree elbow and run a filler tube from the stock filler hole. Maybe run a flip cap. I'm still looking for some 1 3/4" headers. The headers I have on now are some old Hedmans. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN0524.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCN0525.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCN0526.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 532
  • DSCN0527.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 522
  • DSCN0528.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 514
  • DSCN0529.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 515
I forgot to mention that I'm looking for some suggestions on mounting the fuel tank. I originally wanted to cut out the spare tire well but couldn't bring myself to cutting on this car. I was thinking of making some mounts that will raise the tank to just above the bottom of the well and then running the outlet and vent tube through the drain plug located at the bottom of the well. i'll use a "Seals IT" to seal out the weather. Any suggestions?

car is looking good,,, not sure if your round tank sits on the bottom of the tire well,,if it doesnt with those brackest you have at the top,,you may want to make some thing to support the tank,,those top brackets im sure will not hold the tank when its full gas weighs 8 lbs a galllon,,

and if it does sit flat in the well,, ide find some kind of paddingto keep it from rubbing and making a hole in the tank ,,bumpy roads may ,make that tank wiggle around

car is looking good,,, not sure if your round tank sits on the bottom of the tire well,,if it doesnt with those brackest you have at the top,,you may want to make some thing to support the tank,,those top brackets im sure will not hold the tank when its full gas weighs 8 lbs a galllon,,

and if it does sit flat in the well,, ide find some kind of paddingto keep it from rubbing and making a hole in the tank ,,bumpy roads may ,make that tank wiggle around

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Those tabs are welded however you are right about the weight. Maybe having it sit at the bottom of the well is the best solution. I do have some rubber matting. It's the same matting used by the power company in their man baskets when they are up working on power lines. I have to ad that the tank is baffled to reduce slosh. hot Rod City makes some quality stuff.

It looks to me like the tabs are meant to keep the tank in place, while their thought was that the wheel well would support the weight of the tank. Does the tank sit on the bottom of the Wheel well? From the pictures, it looks like it does not sit flush with the bottom of the wheel well, and it riding up on the sides of the well.

I realize you do not want to cut this car...given that, I would weld up a supporting structure in the bottom of the wheel well to support the weight of the tank. Then, you will need to weld in supports so that you can use the brackets to locate the tank. The weight will be supported by the structure underneath.

If you were willing to cut the car, I would cut out the wheel well bottom just enough so that the tank would sit flush with the trunk floor. Then, I would weld in a cradle for the tank that tied into the frame rails. This would give you more structure for the weight, and give you a fairly flat trunk floor.

My choice would be to cut the floor, and save the cut out pieces, they are easy enough to weld back in if you ever want to go back to stock.

Looks like a fun project.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I've been thinking about cutting out the spare tire well and making it sized for a Mustang gas tank.

They drop in and are supported by the flange on the tank then clamped in place. the top of the tank is then the trunk floor. In a Mustang the filler is at the rear center of the tank. One could mount it backwards and the filler would be at the front and line up with the A body fender filler hole. As a plus the center filler would stop the fuel sloshing out on hard right turns.

If you mounted it toward the axel there might be enough room to sink the battery in the floor behind it on a Dart.

GGs66GT, I was thinking about cutting the spare tire well also. I thought welding a floor back in for strength and using a 62-65 Fairlane tank was a better option.

It looks to me like the tabs are meant to keep the tank in place, while their thought was that the wheel well would support the weight of the tank. Does the tank sit on the bottom of the Wheel well? From the pictures, it looks like it does not sit flush with the bottom of the wheel well, and it riding up on the sides of the well.

I realize you do not want to cut this car...given that, I would weld up a supporting structure in the bottom of the wheel well to support the weight of the tank. Then, you will need to weld in supports so that you can use the brackets to locate the tank. The weight will be supported by the structure underneath.

If you were willing to cut the car, I would cut out the wheel well bottom just enough so that the tank would sit flush with the trunk floor. Then, I would weld in a cradle for the tank that tied into the frame rails. This would give you more structure for the weight, and give you a fairly flat trunk floor.

My choice would be to cut the floor, and save the cut out pieces, they are easy enough to weld back in if you ever want to go back to stock.

Looks like a fun project.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

The picture depicted in my post shows the tank sitting at the bottom of the well. The tabs are approximately 1 to 2 inches above the floor. Using just the tabs won't support the tank. I've been giving this whole thing some thought. I have a plasma cutter so cutting is not the issue. i'll be calling hot rod City next week to see what they recommend. They made the tank based off a Dart they have in their shop.

-
Back