Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Hope your not spending all your money on that...other car!!Just kidding,how,s it going with the build?Must be getting close?

Well lets see.

Got all the battery cable laid out, need to solder all the ends

Started to do the plug wires and oped the taylor box only to find 90 degree ends so had to order new wires. Should have them tomorrow

I made some aluminum straps to secure the top of the radiator.

It's been real hot so I'm a little slow

Finish wiring in the voiltage regulator, relay and fuel pump.

Mount up the alternator and wire that.

Hoses, belts, plumb new fuel filter top cool can then to fuel log,

Tighten down valve train and check lash, button up valve covers as soon as I get the Moroso gaskets

Yeah,I,d say your gettin close!Pretty soon VroomVroom!

Yeah, it's getting there. We were talking last night and I've been wanting to get into salt flat racing. My buddy who built the motor said we are probably at a baseline with this car to make that transition. We looked at the rules and with the set-up right now with the power/weight ratio I am probably looking to stay well within the modified ranks. Of course I'm looking at adding a cage, fire system and changing some things in the engine. I have to take a look at the cubic inch rules. The other guy I know built a 71 Dodge 3/4 ton PU to run at Bonneville. He was limited to 258CI in the class he ran in (130MPH). He still holds the record for that class. I may be a little over in the class that I may fall in. It's going to take some more research.

I,ve got a .489 with 2.76,s.That will get ya some top speed!Up over 150mph with a stout small block!

Actually the short course which I would run is 5 miles. We sat down and figured out the RPM/MPH in relation to the final drive and to make the 130 MPH I would need at least 4:10's. I have 4"30's in it now and I have a set of 4:62's if I need them

What size of tire are you running?I think you,ll be able to get to 130mph in less than 5 miles,with 4.10,s she,ll be revving!:toothy10:

What size of tire are you running?I think you,ll be able to get to 130mph in less than 5 miles,with 4.10,s she,ll be revving!:toothy10:

Well the valve train in the motor now is good for sustained 7200 RPM. The key is to keep the RPMs up on each shift

Are you gonna modify the front end(grill,h.lights,bumper)?Or leave it stock?Sounds like a cool thing to do(salt flats racing)Do you live close by?Oh I see your in WA.Duh!Have you seen the movie..World,s fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins?It,s a very good movie.

Are you gonna modify the front end(grill,h.lights,bumper)?Or leave it stock?Sounds like a cool thing to do(salt flats racing)Do you live close by?Oh I see your in WA.Duh!Have you seen the movie..World,s fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins?It,s a very good movie.

It's about a 8-10 hour drive. We have several in the area that do both the spring and fall races as well as the sand runs down in SoCal. I'm not running the front bumper. Until I look at the rules I won't know. I may have to add it back on because of the weight factor. Go to http://www.saltflats.com/

They have some pretty interesting stuff on there as well as pictures of last years events. They will be having the next event soon. I may take a few days and go down and watch. That's the best way to get into the sport. Bonneville is the last of the automotive events thats not comercialized.

Got my SCTA rule book today, man there is a lot of things I need to consider. From what I have gathered from the rules I will have to run in a modified class. More reading ahead.

Well finally got back to the dart, Got the alternator mounted and found my 273 pullies don't line up. Made a mad scramble and got some 340 pullies. The issue was the later model water pump. Anyway, fixed that. Next was getting a cap and rotor for the 65 tach drive distributor. You can't use the standard cap and rotor. Went to my subject matter expert. Turns out I have to use the 65-66 Duel Point cap and rotor. They are totally different. Got all my nit noid parts last week. Finally got the right angle tach drive adaptor. I'll get some pics of that tomorrow. Bought a Mooneyes overflow tank but it's too big, I'll have to figure out where to mount it. Probably take it back to my buddies shop to get it back up on the rack to grease it up and weld up some reinforcement plates for the seat mounts. Also threaded all the battery cable in the car so now all I need to do is get the MAD diagram and finsih up that wiring. More to come.

Car is looking good, why don't you post some updated pic's?

Car is looking good, why don't you post some updated pic's?

Well I probably need to do that. Haven't been able to work on the car. My wife broke her arm so it's been me and my daughter taking care of her. I really don't have much to do in order to fire the motor, wiring mostly. I have all the parts to finish the basics then all I need is the cosmetics, interior etc. I'll try and get some pics.

Basicly nothing new to the body. I'd still like to add a stripe, not sure where

Dart09#1.jpg

dart09#2.jpg

dart09#4.JPG

Lets see. I mocked up the seats and drilled mounting holes. I need to weld in some reinforcement plates for the seats later. As you can see I have a bracket now for the tach. I need to get it away from the windshield. The cable adapter hits, Re-wiring the firewall, too cluttered and too much heat. The headers are pretty thin wal but will do for break-in. I have another set I'll coat later. I can also use these when I make the 1 3/4" tubes later.

I went ahead and tightened down the rockers, just have to re-check the lash before buttoning up the valve covers.

As you can see I have all the cables routed. I am going to replace that billet battery mount with one that is more period correct. I'll be starting on wiring all the under dash stuff later this week (maybe) MDS, coil etc. Everything will be mounter under the dash. Since there's no heater I have plenty of room.

dart09#5.JPG

dart09#6.JPG

dart09#7.JPG

dart09#8.JPG

dart09#9.JPG

dart09#10.JPG

dart09@11.JPG

dart09#12.JPG

dart09#13.JPG

dart09#14.JPG

The car is looking fantastic, everything is right. I really like the duel-quad intake, where did you find that? Very cool car, your doing a great job.

Car looks great, keep up the good work...

The car is looking fantastic, everything is right. I really like the duel-quad intake, where did you find that? Very cool car, your doing a great job.

Picked it up from a member on Moparts, can't remember his name but he's out of Sacramento, CA. Came complete with carbs, linkage, fuel log. i just added the AN fittings. I also re-built the carbs with some mods from an old Carter carb manual and dialed them in on another motor.

Thanks guys. I've always wanted to do a strreet rod so this may be it. I am also leaning toward Salt Flats racing. I'm kinda at a crossroads. I can get into the 130 MPH class with just a little more work.

All that fresh white paint looks nice. I wish I could start my next 1964 Sedan project, but I think we will have to wait a year or so. I like your steel wheels on the back with the cragers up front. Keep chipping away at that beast. Jayson

All that fresh white paint looks nice. I wish I could start my next 1964 Sedan project, but I think we will have to wait a year or so. I like your steel wheels on the back with the cragers up front. Keep chipping away at that beast. Jayson

Actually your car has given me some ideas of course I didn't tub and only went as far as inboarding the springs and the underneath ofr your car is much more sanitary than mine. Mine is clean but not painted with fresh paint. Everything I've done is geared arounf running the 273. Don't need much tire in the rear to warrent minitubbing..I really like the stripe on your car. Breaks up all that white.

Starting back on the car this weekend, more picks to follow.

-
Back