URGENT!! Prayer requests needed HORRIBLE WRECK

-
UPDATE: THIS IS THE CURRENT KNOWN INFORMATION.

On July 21st, 2012 Kim "was severely injured in an automobile accident on Hwy 155 in Dogwood City, Texas. She was life flighted to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler, Texas, where she is currently in the Critical Care Unit. Here is a rundown of her injuries from top to bottom after 5 hours of surgery:

-Concussion

-C2 cervical fracture. she will need surgery to repair from a neurosurgeon at some point, but she's moving her fingers and toes, and there is no paralysis.

-Fractured sternum (from the chest band portion of the seat belt).

-The lap portion of the seatbelt cut into her intestines, and they had to remove 48 cm of her small intestine where it meets the large intestine.

-Removal the appendix due to necrosis (tissue death).

-Broken tibia and fibula on the lower right leg.

-Partial amputation of the second and third toes on her left foot.

UPDATE Approximately 5:30 CST

We met with the trauma surgeon on call, and got a little more clarification. The intestinal injury was complete vascular, her intestines did not rupture. Also, it's 50/50 on whether or not she will keep her third toe on her left foot. It has a good pulse, but it's wait and see. The surgeon didn't want to speculate on the C2 fracture and whether or not they would operate, he felt it was best to defer to the neurosurgeon, who will see her in a few days (I guess). She goes in for surgery tomorrow morning to re-evaluate the intestines and make sure there is no more dead tissue. If it looks good, they will be reconnecting the small intestine to the large intestine. She will not need a colostomy bag at this time, and if she does need one, it will only be temporary, not permanent. I can't think of anything else at the moment, and she will be re-evaluated every day around 1 PM.

She is able to communicate by squeezing my hand, but she can't talk due to the tubes going down her throat. She's frustrated on communicating, and I'm frustrated trying to understand what she wants, and what she's asking. Obviously, she's more so than I am.

The surgeon did say that in spite of all the traumatic injuries she has suffered, she is recovering remarkably well and pretty quickly. That doesn't surprise me, as that girl is hard headed and determined when she gets focused on a goal. One of her more endearing qualities.

I will update her progress tomorrow after surgery and the evaluation unless there is a change between now and then."

They have set up a website so now the family can get more accurate and updated information quicker.

Here is a picture of Kim.

Attachments

• Kim Wreck 4.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 343
Kim's mother Sue hospitalized,
PLEASE PRAY FOR SUE TOO!!

Sue had a heart and lung problem and she is hospitalized at the same hospital. They have been limiting her seeing Kim. She through a fit and told them get her a wheelchair and portable oxygen so she could go see Kim. If they wouldn't do it she was going to check out and go to Kim anyway. Sue would kill herself to be with one of her children that was in Kim's condition. The hospital gave in.

It was Kim's toes on her left foot instead of her right foot as we were told. Everything else was pretty close and there are new details we weren't told last night that are included in the posts above.

Thank you to all that have been praying and please continue.

If you see me post on this thread there is an update

Signing off this thread until further updates come in​

Wow, This is a lot for your family to handle so suddenly. Prayers for all of you from my family. Thanks for the updates. Stay strong.

Still here also Bill. Will wait for your updates to this tragic event. Hoping and praying for the best possible outcome for Kim and Sue. Hang in there and thanks for taking the time to update us.

Wow,what to say in a time like this.
Very,Very tragic. I can only hope the pain stops for everyone involved,
with a full and speedy recovery. Shows how delicate life is.
Prayers sent to all.
JD

UPDATE:

Kim went in for surgery at approximately 12:00pm CST and all went GREAT. They were able to reattach her small intestines and her large intestines again. They were able to close her up and have inserted a drain tube. They have her totally sedated and will keep her that way overnight so she won't be moving. Kim has a long ways to go but this was the thing that had to happen for her to survive. She still has many surgeries to come but nothing like this.

Sue is doing better also and may be released tomorrow. She has made contact with the company that supplies her home oxygen machine and they are going to supply her with portable bottles of oxygen. She will remain with Kim and can stay at Kim's house if need be since Kim lives in Tyler.

Thank each and everyone of you for your continued prayers.

This update was by phone and if there are more details put on the family site that needs added to this I will update again. If not this is all until the next update.

-
Back