W2's

-
Sorry, I miss read that. I also thought it was pretty straight forward on the questions.
Price me an intake… (W9)

On the SM head, what head exactly are you starting with and what are the before and after flow numbers?

Cost to have the SM heads ported.
NOT YOUR COST!
What is someone paying to have it done?

Below I see some good numbers in the as cast state.
When you ported the SM did the flow numbers exceed the W9?

Have you flowed a W9 on you bench?
There ya go!

Sorry, I miss read that. I also thought it was pretty straight forward on the questions.

There ya go!

There ya go!
Price me an intake… (W9)
I’m not sure what a W9 intake cost
On the SM head, what head exactly are you starting with and what are the before and after flow numbers?
My beginning numbers are posted in the Speedmaster head post. I haven’t flowed a stock on lately as there’s no reason to do so.
Cost to have the SM heads ported.
NOT YOUR COST!
What is someone paying to have it done?
Base cost to port an Edelbrock or copy is 800.00 base cost plus a small cost for hardened shims and seals. If upgrading to bigger better valves customer pays for valves upfront. Valve job is included in price as is valve guide clearancing if needed. 50.00-80.00 for spark plug clearancing if desired.
Below I see some good numbers in the as cast state.
When you ported the SM did the flow numbers exceed the W9?
Flow numbers with a 2.055 valve (approximately 200.00) are in the 303-305 range.
Have you flowed a W9 on you bench?
Ive never flowed a W8 head.

I think that’s everything

There ya go

I’m not sure what a W9 intake cost

My beginning numbers are posted in the Speedmaster head post. I haven’t flowed a stock on lately as there’s no reason to do so.

Base cost to port an Edelbrock or copy is 800.00 base cost plus a small cost for hardened shims and seals. If upgrading to bigger better valves customer pays for valves upfront. Valve job is included in price as is valve guide clearancing if needed. 50.00-80.00 for spark plug clearancing if desired.

Flow numbers with a 2.055 valve (approximately 200.00) are in the 303-305 range.

Ive never flowed a W8 head.

I think that’s everything

There ya go

DUDE, you NEED to raise your prices. You work WAY TOO cheap.

For that money I’ll send my stuff over to you and you can do it.

I did raise my prices. I used to do heads and intakes for 600.00.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang. You could go up some more and still be the cheapest guy around.

For a set of heads I’m not even thinking about picking up my grinder for less than 1500 bucks and intakes for 1k.

Like I said, I can send my stuff to you and make better money than doing it myself lol

It isn't as much hard work as it is tiring but how much is your time worth? I lucked out and Radar's shop traded 3 electric die grinders for the work on my heads. I got a deal.

I'm sending referrals your way. $800?
If I can get $12 - $1500, can we work out a deal? lol
I think it's great you provide a service that's very affordable and effective. :thumbsup:

Don't know if they are Crane or not but they are spot faced for a lock nut.

View attachment 1716020203

Hey, I recognize that photo! It was taken on my basement bench. I'm glad to see others find it useful. FYI, that's the fuel-gauge needle from my '69 Valiant in the upper left. :p

How about some semi-machined pre-W2 prototypes? I thought these were possibly Li'l Red development heads due to the functional exhaust crossover, but they're not. Bill Richardson, who was involved in the AAR-T/A and Trans Am racing programs, referred to them as W1s and said they were part of the Trans Am program. He also wondered how I ended up with these. He said less than 25 pair were cast and up until mine appeared, he was certain he knew where they'd all gone--machined, developed, and used. The casting number is 3577634.

I was going to have them machined and use them until I found out what they were. Now they're dust collectors. Would love to get them into the right hands, be it an owner of an original SCCA racer from the era or somewhere they'd be displayed with other SCCA stuff. It would kind of be a shame to machine them after 50 years.

BirdsEye.JPG

IntFace.JPG

CastMk_1.JPG

Hey, I recognize that photo! It was taken on my basement bench. I'm glad to see others find it useful. FYI, that's the fuel-gauge needle from my '69 Valiant in the upper left. :p

How about some semi-machined pre-W2 prototypes? I thought these were possibly Li'l Red development heads due to the functional exhaust crossover, but they're not. Bill Richardson, who was involved in the AAR-T/A and Trans Am racing programs, referred to them as W1s and said they were part of the Trans Am program. He also wondered how I ended up with these. He said less than 25 pair were cast and up until mine appeared, he was certain he knew where they'd all gone--machined, developed, and used. The casting number is 3577634.

I was going to have them machined and use them until I found out what they were. Now they're dust collectors. Would love to get them into the right hands, be it an owner of an original SCCA racer from the era or somewhere they'd be displayed with other SCCA stuff. It would kind of be a shame to machine them after 50 years.

View attachment 1716025097

View attachment 1716025098

View attachment 1716025100

IIRC, the T/A head was classified as W0 and what you have pictured looks like (as you said) W1 stuff and it went on from there.

-
Back