Want a GOOD creeper

-

Whiteside makes creepers for most tool companies. Much of the materials,and casters have been outsourced to overseas in the past few years. Many of you that have 10-20 year old creepers got the good ones. The newest ones aren't as good no matter who's name is on them. I have sold a few of the big wheel creepers and they work well and have held up so far.. tmm

There are some things to consider when buying a creeper other than the build quality and brand.

What surface are you going to be working on? Crummy surface with lots of uneven edges and such, you dont want a creeper with small casters. Dogbone creepers are pretty good for this one, at least the ones we used in the bulldozer shop for john deer.

One thing I STRONGLY suggest. Get a creeper with an adjustable headrest. Mine was a snap on, but it had tiny casters and I HATED those things in the dirty shop. But if you werent rolling around all the time it was the best because of the headrest. Holding your head up to see for an hour or more is BRUTAL. And that was when I was younger. Now, I dont know if I could handle it.

And if you dont have them, get four quality jackstands to lift the entire care up level and you will have room to move your arms around underneath.

Whiteside makes creepers for most tool companies. Much of the materials,and casters have been outsourced to overseas in the past few years. Many of you that have 10-20 year old creepers got the good ones. The newest ones aren't as good no matter who's name is on them. I have sold a few of the big wheel creepers and they work well and have held up so far.. tmm

Interesting. Do you think Whiteside makes them all to the same specs for different companies, or do they maybe vary a little for the higher dollar tool companies? I noticed a lot of the creepers I've looked at look pretty much the same. I had a feeling what you get now isn't as good as what you'd get 20 yrs. ago. A lot of things aren't, even with the high dollar tool companies. Sears is a good example. They used to be real good tools and they still have some good stuff but you don't want to buy their cheap line because most of it isn't much better than Harbor Freight stuff.

garunteed for life on my truck!

That's good for you. You must be a good customer and that does have it's privileges. We are not privy to individual tool warranties on the tool company and manufacturers websites. That information is in the price sheets or if you contact them. I looked up a couple Whitside creepers Mac sells and they have a 1 year warranty. Our purchased tools usually carry the same warranty that the manufacturer gives. The Snappy creepers may be made by Whiteside. I don't know for sure, or Snap on could make their own. I did notice on the Whiteside website that most of their products are made in the USA which is good to know. They may use global components which is a common thing now days.

Thanks for the input, Mike. I was hopin you'd chime in. I always value your info.

My local Ace hardware store sent me a fathers day flier. They have a Craftsman, metal frame padded creeper with a raised headrest in it. May not be worth having, don't know, and haven't looked, but for $19.99, may be worth looking at if you have an Ace close by.

I haven't had much luck with any creeper, it seems one wheel get stuck in a crack in the floor or gets tuck on a pebble and I end up half laying on the creeper, so I just use a piece of cardboard or a piece of carpet.

That's good for you. You must be a good customer and that does have it's privileges. We are not privy to individual tool warranties on the tool company and manufacturers websites. That information is in the price sheets or if you contact them. I looked up a couple Whitside creepers Mac sells and they have a 1 year warranty. Our purchased tools usually carry the same warranty that the manufacturer gives. The Snappy creepers may be made by Whiteside. I don't know for sure, or Snap on could make their own. I did notice on the Whiteside website that most of their products are made in the USA which is good to know. They may use global components which is a common thing now days.

Thanks for the info Mike.

My local Ace hardware store sent me a fathers day flier. They have a Craftsman, metal frame padded creeper with a raised headrest in it. May not be worth having, don't know, and haven't looked, but for $19.99, may be worth looking at if you have an Ace close by.

In fact I do have a ACE that's a sears close to me. Was planning on going there in the next couple days sometime anyway so I'll have a look at it. More than likely being it's a $20 creeper it's cheap made but a look won't cost me anything. Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't had much luck with any creeper, it seems one wheel get stuck in a crack in the floor or gets tuck on a pebble and I end up half laying on the creeper, so I just use a piece of cardboard or a piece of carpet.

I have a sheet of cardboard just for that purpose too but the spurs and bad discs in my back will only let me lay on it for a little while. Plus when I have to do something that requires raising my head I need support for my neck. For that reason I have to get a good one no matter what it costs. Looks like I should be able to do it for less than $200

My local Ace carries Craftsman stuff AND a small selection of Snap On stuff. How they do that, I don't know.

Fishy....Hope you can find a creeper that works for your needs. Neck/back injuries are NO fun at all when trying to work on one....

My local Ace carries Craftsman stuff AND a small selection of Snap On stuff. How they do that, I don't know.

Ace carries the Craftsman brand now here too. SnapOn is only sold on the pro trucks as far as I know....

I was surprised to see a Snap On branded pressure washer at Menards today.
Is nothing sacred? lol

Off topic but i cant stay on a creeper. So I picked up a 4'x8' x3/4" sheet of Dow insulation board,the blue kind..Just enough cushion to protect the knees getting up and down and easy on the elbows too.

Fishy....Hope you can find a creeper that works for your needs. Neck/back injuries are NO fun at all when trying to work on one....

Ace carries the Craftsman brand now here too. SnapOn is only sold on the pro trucks as far as I know....

Right. That's what I thought too. But our Ace in Gray Georgia carries a small selection of Snap On stuff.

I can't say about them carrying Snap-on stuff, haven't seen it around me but as for Craftsman, they never actually been owned by or were any part of Sears like a lot of people think (including me for yrs.). Craftsman is just a tool mfg. that sold exclusively to Sears for a number of yrs. until recently when so many Sears stores started going under. I guess that's what prompted them to sell to others.

Tnx C

Here's a pic of one I saved awhile ago....Not sure who sells it though :scratch:

Attachments

• Creeper.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 207
Maybe a modified gurney might be the best creeper a person could own. Used to find them cheap at the municipal auctions but never thought about converting one.

It does look real comfy. Only problem is my wife would probably come home and find me a sleep under the car, LOL...

It looks like it might set pretty high too. If you could figure out a way to lower it it'd probably work good.

-
Back