Warning scammer!!!

-
Question: Is it legal (in Ohio) to transfer a vehicle title from one state to another without a vin tag and in this situation, a title not in the name of the actual seller? In Pa it certainly is not. Also, isn't the dash vin tag a DOT requirement?
I would be careful about proceeding to do anything with that car until this is resolved. I believe you are in possession of a vehicle that you do not legally own.

Good luck

They impounded our Challenger convertible as it was on the back of a tow truck going to the body shop because we removed the dash pad with the vin to do the bodywork. It took them almost a week to verify the ID of the car and that we were legally the owners and then released it back to us. We did have the title in our name.

We weren't trying to scam or hide anything. We had to remove the dash so the body shop could do some work on the firewall and cowl.

This was just to take it across town, I would think across state lines is worse...

A friend owned a 71 383 Cuda vert. When he went to register it the DMV told him the rivets were not correct (pad had been replaced) After checking the car out and verifying it wasnt stolen they confiscated the original VIN tag and gave him a state issued tag which killed the value of the car.

a friend owned a 71 383 cuda vert. When he went to register it the dmv told him the rivets were not correct (pad had been replaced) after checking the car out and verifying it wasnt stolen they confiscated the original vin tag and gave him a state issued tag which killed the value of the car.

But it was legal to own and drive...........

The incorrect vin rivets led them to believe the vin was swapped and the car was potentially stolen. It would be the same if the O/P were to get his original VIN back and replace it with the wrong rivets.

After they verified the car was legal they should of let him have it re-attached with the correct rivets.

Also, there are plenty of race cars out there with aluminum dashes that no longer have the vin on them. They arent driven on the street but I have never heard of anyone getting their car taken away because they were transporting it to and from the track.

A friend owned a 71 383 Cuda vert. When he went to register it the DMV told him the rivets were not correct (pad had been replaced) After checking the car out and verifying it wasnt stolen they confiscated the original VIN tag and gave him a state issued tag which killed the value of the car.

That is BS right there, sounds like somebody at the DMV needed a vin number for another car. Or you buddy is not telling the whole truth.

That is why I register and put licence on all my cars before I put a dime in them it proves proof of ownership.

How did you pay for the car, it may make it a federal crime?

Warning: Avoid at all costs this a-hole in Auburn, Washington who calls his scam place Masonry Auto Group, Masonry Enterprises, Inc. or whatever name they think up on any given day. I bought a 71 Duster from this guy with a "Clean Title".....well they got my money, a month later I got my car.....that's when the problems became evident. The car arrived missing the VIN tag, on flat tires and full of snow. The title he sent me doesnt have his name on it...somebody else's name. When I contacted him and asked politely for the VIN tag he told me he is too stressed with his daily life and has no time to solve MY problem. I guess I have a useless pile of metal.

The good, the bad, and the ugly....... Maybe I can help you without lawyers, guns and money. Open titles (titles with another sellers name on it) are a normal thing in some states. Illegal in others. They work just the same unless there is a lawyer involved. As far as the vin tag goes. Check under the radiator support to verify the vin. Then call a trim tag restoration company to have one made off of your title. You can PM me for a name and # of the one I use. A new tag cost a few bucks but if the car is that clean, it will be worth it. I agree he should have helped you more, but why sweat it. Mean people suck. You could always take him to small claims court and sue for the cost of the tag and trouble. However court costs are likely to cost more than the tag. Keep the old moto in mind next time you buy. "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I'm from Canada, so US Fed and state law is way different that ours, but I've heard that in some states, you can in fact, use a different VIN, as long as it's declared. Do you guys have a "home built" registration status? Our vehicle registrations will generate a new vin number for vehicles if need be, but it's a big pain in the ***.

It sounds like there is enough data to verify the title vin matches the hidden vin and fender tag vin and maybe if you have the broadcast sheet.

I would get a hold of http://www.datatags.com/
They may be able to make you a new vin tag with proof of all of this matching, but it will be pending on your state laws if they can do it for you. This maybe the path of least resistance and think it costs in the 350 range for them to do it. I would contact them and ask: it is free to do so. They can tell you if your state laws will allow them to do it.
I know it can be done in Oregon. I had lost a vin tag doing a restoration and couldn't find it that was the charge and they quoted. Fortunately, I did end up finding mine under a tray mat in my tool box. ugh

The title matches the fender tag which is unmolested. Door tag is gone and have not gotten the scotchbrite out to check the core support or trunk lip yet but I think its the right title for the car.

If the title matches the fender tag AND the stampings on the car..the news is good. You own the car. Most states have a way to register a car without a vin. (and yes, as stated before, it sometimes involves the use of a special number issued by the state). Too bad about the door vin. It's a full VIN number and in some states (including Georgia) it would be accepted and legal to run as is. The fender tag and body numbers are "partials" and will have to be verified. Anyway, it would be far worse for you if the vin and title did NOT match the body numbers.

If your state allows you to change a title into your name without them looking at the car, do it right away before you register it. Hopefully you got some sort of sales receipt with the title vin on it.

Now I'm certain what I'm about to suggest will be POUNCED ON by every troll on this site! It's an emotional issue and major point of contention, but, at this point you need to decide if you'd rather make life bad for the seller or if you want to keep the car. Each option requires a different course of action. The more negative internet publicity you bring on the seller, the more you publicize the fact that your car is a problem child. It's much easier to fix your paperwork quietly if you want to keep the car. Going to the motor vehicle department with a title in your name and saying "I lost the vin during the restoration" is going to cause less scrutiny than telling them that "some out of state SOB sold you a car without a vin". Even with the title in someone else's name, it will be easier to say YOU lost the vin than to offer any suggestion that it may be less than legitimate.

Also if you post the VIN online ANYWHERE it will never go away! Any Google search for stolen vehicles will bring it up immediately. We can argue forever about right or wrong, good or bad, but there are registry groups that scour the internet and create databases of any vehicles that have questionable backgrounds. Even the pages of this site are stored forever and what we are writing at this very minute will be available on searches for years to come.

Some one asked about a vin tag and titles in OHIO. In Ohio you need to go to an authorized place , I.E. a dealership, and they will fill out paperwork stating they had inspected the car and verified the vin to the title before a title will be issued. That's only on cars from out of state. This paper is a legal document and must be done prior to going to the DMV as they will send you away if you don't have it.

The title matches the fender tag which is unmolested. Door tag is gone and have not gotten the scotchbrite out to check the core support or trunk lip yet but I think its the right title for the car.

If the title matches the fender tag AND the stampings on the car..the news is good. You own the car. Most states have a way to register a car without a vin. (and yes, as stated before, it sometimes involves the use of a special number issued by the state). Too bad about the door vin. It's a full VIN number and in some states (including Georgia) it would be accepted and legal to run as is. The fender tag and body numbers are "partials" and will have to be verified. Anyway, it would be far worse for you if the vin and title did NOT match the body numbers.

If your state allows you to change a title into your name without them looking at the car, do it right away before you register it. Hopefully you got some sort of sales receipt with the title vin on it.

Now I'm certain what I'm about to suggest will be POUNCED ON by every troll on this site! It's an emotional issue and major point of contention, but, at this point you need to decide if you'd rather make life bad for the seller or if you want to keep the car. Each option requires a different course of action. The more negative internet publicity you bring on the seller, the more you publicize the fact that your car is a problem child. It's much easier to fix your paperwork quietly if you want to keep the car. Going to the motor vehicle department with a title in your name and saying "I lost the vin during the restoration" is going to cause less scrutiny than telling them that "some out of state SOB sold you a car without a vin". Even with the title in someone else's name, it will be easier to say YOU lost the vin than to offer any suggestion that it may be less than legitimate.

Also if you post the VIN online ANYWHERE it will never go away! Any Google search for stolen vehicles will bring it up immediately. We can argue forever about right or wrong, good or bad, but there are registry groups that scour the internet and create databases of any vehicles that have questionable backgrounds. Even the pages of this site are stored forever and what we are writing at this very minute will be available on searches for years to come.

I actually agree with you, Greg.
You didn't suggest anything illegal.
Good points made here.

Problem is he is in OHIO. In OHIO they must match the VIN tag to the title. This is not done by the state bu a dealership. They have to fill out legal paperwork stating they inspected the vehicle and it's VIN and the title match. If it come back later there is a problem the Dealership could end up in trouble. The DMV doesn't need to see the car at all as they are not responsible for the verification.

-
Back