Water temp gauge in 273

-
gotcha. So it came with the gauge, then?

Yes, it comes with the many fittings in the gauge... Just get the one that threads directly on the probe from the package...

Or you can try to call Mancini Racing for one. I've seen them on their display many years ago when I was in there...

Here's how I've done it for years, we just did one on the kid's car...

The bushing in the gauge kit is 3/8" pipe, you have to find the proper one... Then you drill a 37/64" or 9/16" hole in the water jacket of the intake on the driver's side of the intake manifold next to the thermostat... Then tap it for 3/8" pipe thread....

Be careful when tapping the pipe tap so you don't go too deep... Make a few threads, then try the bushing... Then try a few more threads, and then try the bushing... Repeat until you can get to just thread like shown below. You just want to be able to get the bushing in and not bottom out the threads on it as then the sensor may bottom out on the water jacket...

Drill Size for Pipe Taps

View attachment 1715039758

Here it is from a top view...

View attachment 1715039759

Here it is more from a side view... Notice how many threads I have left above the hole, but the bushing is tight and will not leak... This is what you want to shoot for when doing it this way...

View attachment 1715039760

Silly question, but I'm assuming you didn't drill and tap with the intake installed?

I have done it a couple of ways, drill the intake and tap it for a bushing, or summit sells and adapter, that goes under the thermostat, that you can put your gauge fitting in.
I have and extra adapter I will sell pm me.

wA5cox.jpg

I congratulate you. I didn't think it was possible. the brass fitting is a bushing but it's 3/8 male x 3/8 female?

The fitting under the temp sender is a proprietary adapter FOR the sender. They are sometimes different between SW, Chinese, "other." They come in various sizes 1/2", npt 3/8" npt and I've even seen some oddball small (offbrand) senders in 1/4" npt pipe. The female is the proprietary thread to fit the sender

You want to be VERY careful drilling and tapping the manifold as some of them are VERY thin

I have done it a couple of ways, drill the intake and tap it for a bushing, or summit sells and adapter, that goes under the thermostat, that you can put your gauge fitting in.
I have and extra adapter I will sell pm me.

View attachment 1715210564
Even a 1" adapter won't work for my 70 dart because the factory air cleaner has only 1/2" clearance. But thanks anyway!

I haven't seen thinner than 1". But even so, thermostat clearance will become a problem. I'm leaning towards tee'ing off the heater hose now.
They sell splices for the radiator hoses, with the fitting welded in, just cut the hose and install the splice, hook the the gauge up. Summit sells them for around $50.

They sell splices for the radiator hoses, with the fitting welded in, just cut the hose and install the splice, hook the the gauge up. Summit sells them for around $50.
I'm not gonna like the look, but it's the easiest way to get it done. Thanks for the help!

Hello I have a 69'dart with the 273 in I bought some gauges and the only one I haven't hooked up yet is the water temp gauge, I've heard there is a bolt on the side of the block you can poke it in I've heard there's adapters for the thermostat just looking for any advice any of you guys have
What model of 69 Dart do you have? and what transmission?

I have a numbers matching 1970 swinger 340.
4 speed with 3.91 rear. Bought from the original owner.
Nice but I was asking about the OP's 273 69 Dart. You car is one of 4223. I have a 66 Dart GT, HP273, 833, 8 3/4 sure Grip. One of 1237. Catch my drift? The OP may have a low number car. Just curious.

I have a numbers matching 1970 swinger 340.
4 speed with 3.91 rear. Bought from the original owner.
Nice but I was asking about the OP's 273 69 Dart. You car is one of 4223. I have a 66 Dart GT, HP273, 833, 8 3/4 sure Grip. One of 1237. Catch my drift? The OP may have a low number car. Just curious.
Low number car whatever! Mine is EV-2/EV-2 with factory black bucket seat interior, hood pins, and the engine was rebuilt by Sam Jones, of NHRA fame. Thanks for your help, but don't insult me with rarity when just I'm looking for information.

15345502421533054165737508281257.jpg

Low number car whatever! Mine is EV-2/EV-2 with factory black bucket seat interior, hood pins, and the engine was rebuilt by Sam Jones, of NHRA fame. Thanks for your help, but don't insult me with rarity when just I'm looking for information.

View attachment 1715211654
Nice car and a cool history but this thread isn't about you, sorry.

And this thread was from 2017. I am the guy that re-started it. But whatever. Was just looking for help.

And this thread was from 2017. I am the guy that re-started it. But whatever. Was just looking for help.
And that's ok. I was just curious about the original posters 69 with a 273. It could be one of 59 and he may not know it. That's all.

I put a new coolant temp sensor in my 67 273 with no issues or adapters. Electrical and works/looks great. I'll get pic tomorrow if needed?

I have to wonder how much temp accuracy will be lost going into the heater hose. If the heater is shut off, no flow and the temp at that point will drop below that of the main flow.

I have to wonder how much temp accuracy will be lost going into the heater hose. If the heater is shut off, no flow and the temp at that point will drop below that of the main flow.
I would not trust a reading in the heater hose.
That is why I suggested the radiator hose splice piece from summit.
Personally, I would pull the intake and drill / tap it for a water temp bushing and be done with it.

Is there not a thermostat housing that has a female NPT that would work? else radiator hose Is there a place in the (a) bypass) always hot flow there

-
Back