We have this car in our barn . . .

-
Did those come with a big 2.6 four also? That's all 70's man! I learned to drive a stick in a '77 Celica, looked the same inside, woodgrain and striped seats. Dig that stereo cassette, and a trip computer?
Pishta, this is a five-speed stick with a 1.6 L engine. There was also an option for a larger 2.0 engine available on the Arrow. I previously posted a close-up of the CompuCruise installed on top of the radio spot in the dash. We still have the original radio somewhere. There is also a Clarion equalizer under the dash on the passenger side. I'll have to take a photo of that because it doesn't show up in previous photos. Back in the 70's, when we were young, it was all about the music, LOL! (Now he's into talk radio instead.) And I learned to drive a stick in my mom's '62 Ford Falcon in an empty church parking lot. Think it was a "three on the tree" (see what I'm learning from you guys? Haha) As I recall, there was a little rubber button on the rubber floorboard in the corner beyond the clutch pedal that you would smash down several times with your foot to squirt water on the windshield. LOL. The VW bug my husband drove after they sold the T-Bird used the air pressure from the spare tire located under the front hood to squirt the washer water. He would always check the spare's air pressure after a rainy season. LOL
Sorry I ramble. Staying on topic is not one of my virtues!

'62 Ford Falcon - As I recall, there was a little rubber button on the rubber floorboard in the corner beyond the clutch pedal that you would smash down several times with your foot to squirt water on the windshield. LOL. "

So my husband just informed me that the button I remembered on the old Ford would have been the dimmer switch for the lights, not the washer fluid. So maybe there was an extra pedal down there at my feet I would pump for the water?? No matter - at 15, I was just tickled to finally learn how to drive, but I have to own up to my mistakes here with all you car experts!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What part of Texas is this gem located in? I might be interested, depending upon price.

Very cool! Would love to know what it sells for. Wish I could buy it.

Neat! A lot of them became drag cars. The rest became refrigerators. Truly don't see 'em around.......

So my husband just informed me that the button I remembered on the old Ford would have been the dimmer switch for the lights, not the washer fluid. So maybe there was an extra pedal down there at my feet I would pump for the water?? No matter - at 15, I was just tickled to finally learn how to drive, but I have to own up to my mistakes here with all you car experts!!
My '69 Dart has both; foot operated dimmer switch & foot operated washer pump. I think a lot of cars had them.

This brings back memories!
My brother had (and still has) a '77 Arrow GT that was very similar to the one you have, except it was blue with white stripes and came with the 2000cc engine.
We drove that car for years to work every day in the early to mid '80s and wore out the engine, then he bought one identical to his that was written off and put the 1.6 out of it and wore that one out.
Then he bought a 2.6 for it and put that in.
When the body finally rusted out, he found a '79 Fire Arrow with a bad engine and swapped out the engine from the GT to the Fire Arrow.
he still has the Fire Arrow and drives it once in awhile, and the GT is parked in the back 40 to be used as a parts car...........
He gets lots of looks from people young and old, and nobody seems to have heard of a Fire Arrow before.

This brings back memories!
My brother had (and still has) a '77 Arrow GT that was very similar to the one you have, except it was blue with white stripes and came with the 2000cc engine.
We drove that car for years to work every day in the early to mid '80s and wore out the engine, then he bought one identical to his that was written off and put the 1.6 out of it and wore that one out.
Then he bought a 2.6 for it and put that in.
When the body finally rusted out, he found a '79 Fire Arrow with a bad engine and swapped out the engine from the GT to the Fire Arrow.
he still has the Fire Arrow and drives it once in awhile, and the GT is parked in the back 40 to be used as a parts car...........
He gets lots of looks from people young and old, and nobody seems to have heard of a Fire Arrow before.

Dartnut, Holy Cow!! A lot of work, but what a cool way for your brother to continue to hang on to a car he must love!! Great story!!

-- I agree! That must be why it's so hard to locate a comparable value . . .
-- Put it For Sale on Ebay, with a real high reserve, and see where it goes to. That will give You an idea of what people are willing to pay, for it.

Hi, Fellas! I wanted to post an update on our Arrow for y'all. We got tires for her Saturday and late this afternoon we finally pushed her out in the grass and washed her off! I'll post a couple of photos of her without the dirt layer. Tomorrow, I plan to tackle the inside. She has some paint issues here and there and is not perfect, by any means, but I think she still looks pretty good for her age.
IMG-0075.JPG
IMG-0082.JPG
IMG-0089.JPG
IMG-0090.JPG

No, your memory is better than his. The Falcons did have a manual washer pump in close proximity to the dimmer switch, unless they were optioned with an electric washer pump. Few early Falcons had electric pumps. I had two. a 64 and a 65. The 64 had the manual pump as you describe and the 65 had the electric pump.

My first car was a Mitsubishi Celeste 2000 GSR - it is the original - outside of the US - Version of the Arrow.
Incidentally in the same color and with identical interior, but without the stripes and with different bumpers - and the 2000ccm engine with two carburators and 110 bhp.

Alas my first car is long gone, but it looked exactly like this (except that I had a GSR, this is the 1600 ccm ST):

mitsubishi-celeste-34.jpg

mitsubishi-celeste-35.jpg

mitsubishi-celeste-36.jpg

My first car was a Mitsubishi Celeste 2000 GSR - it is the original - outside of the US - Version of the Arrow.
Incidentally in the same color and with identical interior, but without the stripes and with different bumpers - and the 2000ccm engine with two carburators and 110 bhp.

Alas my first car is long gone, but it looked exactly like this (except that I had a GSR, this is the 1600 ccm ST):

View attachment 1715090064
View attachment 1715090065
View attachment 1715090066
Hi, Marvin,
I saw those same pictures of that Lancer Celeste you posted. It was from the 2013 Geneva Motor Show. In fact, the photos of that same car are what finally inspired us to try to do something with the Arrow! I think the Arrow had different names depending what country it was sold in (Canada, Australia, Europe & USA). The Arrow had different bumpers than the Celeste to comply with the US "5-mph impact" bumper regulations, I believe. The GT was offered with a 1600cc or a 2000cc. My husband wanted the better gas mileage. (I was looking at the glovebox record book. He would put in $2 - $3 of gas every 4-5 days. ) The Fire Arrow that came out a few years later bumped up the power even more. But you're right, for the most part the cars were very close to being the same - all made by Mitsubishi.

Thanks for adding the photos!

-
Back