Weird tips and tricks

-
Forgot abut this till I used it the other day silly putty to hold small parts when soldering. Works great.

I busted the ceramic insulator out of a spark plug and cut the electrode off, worked a piece of plastic tubing into the hole, then cut the finger end off of a latex glove and attached it with masking tape. Thread into No. 1 spark plug hole and crank the engine by hand and the "balloon" will inflate, letting you know you're on the compression stroke. Look at the timing marks to find TDC.

View attachment tdc2.jpg

View attachment tdc1.jpg

I busted the ceramic insulator out of a spark plug and cut the electrode off, worked a piece of plastic tubing into the hole, then cut the finger end off of a latex glove and attached it with masking tape. Thread into No. 1 spark plug hole and crank the engine by hand and the "balloon" will inflate, letting you know you're on the compression stroke. Look at the timing marks to find TDC.

Cool idea. Would it work with a condom.instead of the glove?

Just mentioned this on another thread. To release the E brake cables from the backing plate the 3 prong retainers can be a *****. I slide the box end of a 9/16 wrench up over the retainer and wiggle it while pulling the cable and it comes right out.

Just mentioned this on another thread. To release the E brake cables from the backing plate the 3 prong retainers can be a *****. I slide the box end of a 9/16 wrench up over the retainer and wiggle it while pulling the cable and it comes right out.

You can also use a small hose clamp to pull in the prongs, then pull it out.

Use a screwdriver to listen for lifter noise after setting your valves. Common knowledge if you ask me, but I put that on a fb page the other day and some guys were blown away by it...#-o. Tip of flathead screwdriver on stud -handle to your ear, don't slip off the stud!!

Oldie but goodie but we have some new guys that never heard of it, thanks.

Have a floppy flex socket ? Degrease it and put some medium strength locktite on it. Flex it a few times before completely set. It will be pretty firm but will still flex and loosen up with use.
Yote

I was taught this neat trick years ago by an old timer. And I'm 61 so it was along time ago. If you've ever broke an axle, you know they will usually break flush with the carrier leaving a little stub inside the carrier. I use to break so many front axle in my sand drag truck years and this always meant tearing the whole front end apart, taking the carrier out to get the stub out only to put it all together again. This old friend of mine saw me about to tear the front end apart after breaking yet another one. He told me you don't have to do that, He took three welding rods and welded them end to end, he then put the one end in the striker while he slid the long now one piece welding rod down the axle tube and placed it against the broke axle stub, he them informed me to turn the switch on and off to the welder real quick, he then pulled the welding rod out with the stub welded to the end of it. Man you talk about a time saver from then on

Brake fluid is an excellent tire dressing. I've been using it for years. Not only is it cheap, it looks better that some of the specialty "tire black" which leaves the rubber too shiny. It can be used on any of your black rubber. Just wipe it on with a rag and then wipe off excess. Of course, keep from sloshing a bunch on your painted surfaces. Brake fluid has a rubber conditioner in its formula. (Rubber brake lines):cheers:

200mpg Dodge truck

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]ZFxwJ8mIDtA[/MEDIA]"]Warning: Do not watch this. You wont believe it anyway! - YouTube[/ame]

You don't actually BELIEVE this do ya? 'Cuz if ya do, I can show ya yewtube videos of zero energy magnetic motors. "Perpetual motion"

ONE GOOD BACKFIRE and guess what happens??????

HINT: The carb, air cleaner, hoses and gas can are full of explosive gasses!!!:realcrazy: The one explosion won't be too bad but once the gas can blows there will be burning gasoline all over your engine!!

Treblig

Here is a trick I used when I was working in a mobile home park in the winter. To unfreeze copper pipes under mobile homes, use your buzz box welder, set it on about 100 amps, ground one end of the frozen pipe, take stinger end to the other clamp it on, hit the power for a few seconds, the heat will unfreeze the pipe. works great. might be common knowledge....

You don't actually BELIEVE this do ya? 'Cuz if ya do, I can show ya yewtube videos of zero energy magnetic motors. "Perpetual motion"
It is obviously a little dangerous (or a lot), so technically you would need to use all the precautions and equipment associated with working with any explosive gas, say oxy acetylene for instance. would it work. Probably not for long. I built a perpetual motion machine back in eigth grade honors science for a final project. It worked pretty well but in order for it to continue I would have had to set it up at the ends of the earth which we all know doesn't exist because it is basically round.

Years ago I thawed underground galvanized pipes with an arc welder. I have been informed not to do it with an aluminum wound welder only copper. Perhaps Del can enlighten us on that. Also don't do it in early morning, leave for Thanksgiving day. When water doesn't flow in morning wife doesn't think to turn off the valves . Septic system fills up and major mess at midnight that night.
Yote

To preserve the life of super glue after opening, put it in the freezer. Take it out hold in the palm of your hand for 1 minute and it is ready to use. Keep in the freezer it last for many years.

HEY A GEINUS IDEA FROM A CONVERSATION A FEW WEEKS AGO. THE PINION BEARINGS ARE *** PAIN TO TAKE OFF FOR SHIM CHANGES. G ET A NEW BEARING AND GRIND THE INSIDE A BIT TO SLIP OVER THE PINION FOR SETTING IT UP THEN REMOVE IT AND PRESS THE NEW ONE ON. Thanks @ben drinking

HEY A GEINUS IDEA FROM A CONVERSATION A FEW WEEKS AGO. THE PINION BEARINGS ARE *** PAIN TO TAKE OFF FOR SHIM CHANGES. G ET A NEW BEARING AND GRIND THE INSIDE A BIT TO SLIP OVER THE PINION FOR SETTING IT UP THEN REMOVE IT AND PRESS THE NEW ONE ON. Thanks @ben drinking
That is what I did. I bought a new pinion bearing for the 741,742 and 489. Honed them out to use as a set up tool.

I thought that was just pure genius, never thought of it. He prob read it in a comic book somewhere!:rofl:

-
Back