weirdest engine

-
Here is my problem, no modern Mopar engine is with worth a crap accept the Gen III Hemi and everyone thinks they are gold. There is no decent EFI to retro too like GM and Ford either so if you want a great pergormance motor, EFI and don't want to drop $3k on a 100k mile truck engine and more to make it fit, then folks look outside the Ma Mopar family.

Is it blasphemy? Maybe. But its not my car or money, so who cares? Most OE's Auto MFG's don't design their power train anyway, its all outsourced short of Ford's recent efforts. So then what? GM, FORD, Toyota, Fiat, etc contact and pay someone to design and build them and engine, does that make it a brand specific engine?

Maybe about 7-8 years ago there was a running second generation Barracuda for sale with a Mazda 4 cylinder in it. Made for interesting conversations on the Barracuda Owners Group site for a while.

HDK sold a complete K-frame (less mounts) to a guy in Columbia who using it to
install a big block Ford.....in, I think, a Demon.

When they start installing "350 Crate Motors" (those bowtie ones), in all the old Mopars, that's the day I give up.

Like THIS?

Twin-Turbo-Supra-Powered-Plymouth-Scamp-1.jpg

That guy swapped in that motor and the six speed (I think) from a supra. To each his own for sure, but pretty cool to see something like that made to work in a old car.

I have a 64 Valiant and an 03 Neon, 2.0 w/ 5 speed. Every morning this past Winter when it would start and get me to work in sub-zero temps, I gave it a pat and said thank you. I'm at 209.000 miles in a brutal climate, it's not a smooth running sophisticated engine by any means, but the lil engine keeps on chuggin. I'm waist deep into a complete 225 rebuild for the Valiant and with both cars being approximately the same weight, I've wondered what it would be like to have an early A with a modern engine and 5 speed. Nobody says you have to open the hood.

I have a 64 Valiant and an 03 Neon, 2.0 w/ 5 speed.
I have also pondered the 4 cyl 2.4L in my 96 minivan (same as 2.0L). I recall reading of a RWD version of it used in postal vans. While it has the Pentastar logo, it is almost identical to a Mitsubishi engine that tuners love. Main problem is that the DOHC makes it tall, so probably wouldn't fit. Indeed, when I had the head off, I couldn't believe how far down the top of the block was. BTW, I understand the 4 cyl Chrysler engines in the 1980's (2.5L?) had basically the slant 6 block w/ 2 cyls cut off.

here's another love it or hate it A body......a 1962 S series running a 3.6ltr quad cam v6 and 4 speed auto.....these are sold as a "World engine" meaning any manufacturer can purchase with their branding on it….why use it? Chrysler parts are expensive here in Australia, especially late EFI gear…our fuel is around $7.30 a gallon so early V8’s aren’t that practical….N/A it will produce around 300hp and once blown, around 500hp and still do 30MPG! Before the haters start, this was bought as just a shell and would have ended up at the crasher as knowbody else wanted it, so much was missing!! Classic body with late running gear, power R&P steering, large 4 wheel disc's, A/C, power windows, custom interior.....

I have also pondered the 4 cyl 2.4L in my 96 minivan (same as 2.0L). I recall reading of a RWD version of it used in postal vans. . BTW, I understand the 4 cyl Chrysler engines in the 1980's (2.5L?) had basically the slant 6 block w/ 2 cyls cut off.

Very early Dakotas had 4 cylinder engine available. Either 2.2 or 2.5. Rear wheel drive with bellhousing and manual transmission? Cha-ching.
A 2.0 neon engine may be smallish but a 2.4 out of a PT, Stratus, etc. would work pretty nice. Then there's the guys putting SRT-4's in their early A's.

There's a guy here in town who has converted an old 70s four door valiant to full electric. It still uses lead acid batteries but if he'd ever update the battery system he would probably be able to drive it regularly.

I half pondered the idea of putting in a 2.0L 4g63(6bolt) out of an early 90-93 Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse/ Plymouth Laser. Not completely Japanese seeing as it was a joint venture between Mitsubishi and Chrysler. Plus with a 6 bolt configuration they make gobs of power and are nearly bulletproof as it comes for 4 cylinders motors. Very easy to make 500hp on a stock long block with head studs and cams.

Nvm just found out that Rev Hard Inc did the swap already.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRWEiPLpzDk"]Frankendart10.11.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back