Well I think the "fridge" is dying.

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Noticed about a week ago "I thought" the ice cream was a bit softer. I predict I'll be cleaning it all out in a day or two. I have a mini chest freezer in the garage with a little room, and a, of all things, kegerator I got cheap that I can use for a small fridge.

I DO NOT NEED THIS!!!

godspeed my good man. i just went thru the same thing after doing battle with my crap-tastic fridge for ages. shocking how expensive even a basic fridge is these days.

if you're not ultra picky about style or brand, best buy has some pretty decent deals online and even more so in store.

Noticed about a week ago "I thought" the ice cream was a bit softer. I predict I'll be cleaning it all out in a day or two. I have a mini chest freezer in the garage with a little room, and a, of all things, kegerator I got cheap that I can use for a small fridge.

I DO NOT NEED THIS!!!
Make sure dust etc are no simply blocking the cooling coils underneath or on back of the fridge.

I've used both a vacuum and leaf blower to clean mine after I had the same problem you are describing. It returned to normal cooling immediately after.

In one instance, it looked like there was enough dust and other debris that it looked like there was a pet in the home. There wasn't, but the coils were completely insulated by the built up dust and debris.

May be blocking the transfer vents in the freezer. Might be a sticky defrost timer. I don't even know if this one is mechanical or electronic. I threw most of the freezer stuff in the one out in the shed (It's a mini one) and fired up the "kegerator" for the important stuff out of the fridge. I actually bought it for the CO2 bottles and regulator LOL. I think I paid 80 for it

godspeed my good man. i just went thru the same thing after doing battle with my crap-tastic fridge for ages. shocking how expensive even a basic fridge is these days.

if you're not ultra picky about style or brand, best buy has some pretty decent deals online and even more so in store.
Had darn good service from Best Buy too when my fridge bought the farm. Show them the money, be there to open the door and show them where I wanted it. They took care of the rest.

Get a thermometer and check your temps. Move the thermometer around to check for consistency.

I had one instance where the drain was blocked by some debris, thought the fridge was done, but a good cleaning and it lasted for several years.

Had a fan die on one once. Also, like the deforst timer idea. Once the door got left open and the coils tuned into a block of ice. Unplugged it, iced melted and never had another problem.

It's mostly empty and what's in there can go away if need be. I'm gonna let it run a bit and see, then dig into it. Remove the panel in front of the evap and inspect that area. Fan sounds robust. I'll have to check the defrost timer.

I have a bunch of cats and dogs. I pull mine out every couple years and clean out all the fur, cat toys, etc. Its amazing how much crap gets under the fridge.

I had one instance where the drain was blocked by some debris, thought the fridge was done, but a good cleaning and it lasted for several years.
same here, had a blocked drain and everything went haywire-- and it wasn't even debris, a corner of a cello pack of steaks blocked it!

once i de-iced everything and got the coils cooled back down it worked great. just the drain cup rusted out, so i cut the bottom of a 1 gal oil jug and shoved that in there and gave it a stay of execution.

nothing like stepping in water while half asleep and wearing socks first thing in the morning to really fuel the hatred for a machine.

My parents had an old Hotpoint refrigerator that came with their new house they closed on in January 1960. It got relegated to the utility room when they purchased a new larger refrigerator about 1970. That refrigerator was still running and staying Cold in 1992 when my dad sold the house.

My parents had an old Hotpoint refrigerator that came with their new house they closed on in January 1960. It got relegated to the utility room when they purchased a new larger refrigerator about 1970. That refrigerator was still running and staying Cold in 1992 when my dad sold the house.
I had an old Frigidaire from the 1960's in my basement in the early 2000's, I used it as a beer fridge, it still worked great until I sold the house in 2006.

I had an old Frigidaire from the 1960's in my basement in the early 2000's, I used it as a beer fridge, it still worked great until I sold the house in 2006.
I had an international harvester freezer. Probably still running

Kenmore used to make great appliances. I don't know about now.

My grandparents had a 1950’s Fairbanks Morse refrigerator when they built their house in 1957. Sometime in the 1970’s my grandparents bought a new fridge and moved the Fairbanks fridge to the basement. That Fairbanks fridge was still keeping the beer and pop cold in when my parent sold the house in 2015! That was over 60 years of chilling!

Last edited:
Well it's been nearly MT all day. I think the whole problem is, that I finally got enough packed into the freezer that it stopped up the transfer vents, and there are only one short row of them right in the middle horizontally in the rear panel, bottom. Not enough air circuiation and it likely finally got enough frost/ ice built that it would not completely defrost in a cycle. "We'll see" tomorrow" how this goes.

My dishwasher turned 57 this year. She needs some help from time to time but still kicking. lol
Woah, that’s good for a dishwasher! Does it have a dial on it for the different settings?

There's a 1949 Kelvinator in my basement that came with the house. When the last "main" fridge in the kitchen let go several years ago, I plugged it in and discovered that it still works. Quiet? No. Cold? Yes sir, and that's what mattered most at the time. I replaced the kitchen fridge in a couple of days (it's an odd size) and shut the Kelv down soon after.

It's got a rounded top, "kid killer" latching door with a huge chrome handle, extruded-aluminum hinges, chrome emblems on the door... if it didn't work it'd become a storage cabinet. It's too cool to let go. I'd love to restore it with more modern (quieter) internals and perhaps a Mark Donohue AMX paint job (after all, it is an AMC).

It's not this nice after years of neglect, but looks like this one:

d8d333e4b37d4bc2dc20b4f7864e1d9c.jpg

I DO NOT NEED THIS!!

you sure your coils aren't iced up? I have to take the cover off mine and defrost them twice a year even though the defrost works as intended on it... first the ice is a little wet.. stuff isn't quite frozen solid.. just gets worse.. de-ice the coils and i'm good for another 6-12 months..

They can get like this.. then no air flows through them so no cold freezer... yours is probably a different lay out. but worth checking.
1685637641473.jpeg

-
Back