What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Nice sunny -13C day, so thought I'd get my car out for some vitamin B5.... of course I plowed a path first, not like the old days of taking this thing to the ski hills first thing in the AM before they'd plowed the roads!
View attachment 1715678739 View attachment 1715678740 View attachment 1715678741 View attachment 1715678742 View attachment 1715678743
There is something vaguely familiar about that color??
Driveway.jpg

DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0142.JPG

I am getting oil puddles on the timing chain cover so I'm going to take a stab at the "china wall" myself.

I was able to get my car back on the ground and fired it up and moved it out of the garage so I can sweep the floor and clean up my mess. After getting my trans rebuilt and replacing, clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing along with a rear main seal, HV oil pump, pan gasket, 90 degree oil filter adaptor gaskets and having my flywheel cut, oh and clutch linkage was also rebuilt. I went for a few mile ride and its like driving a different car. Trans used to be noisy through 1st and 3rd gear. I guess the bad output shaft bearing and almost non existent pilot bushing were causing the noise. Now its so quiet and all I hear is the exhaust note. Drove great for the few miles I did get to drive it. Back under the cover on the ground and bone dry on the floor. My huge project is a success.

I was able to get my car back on the ground and fired it up and moved it out of the garage so I can sweep the floor and clean up my mess. After getting my trans rebuilt and replacing, clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing along with a rear main seal, HV oil pump, pan gasket, 90 degree oil filter adaptor gaskets and having my flywheel cut, oh and clutch linkage was also rebuilt. I went for a few mile ride and its like driving a different car. Trans used to be noisy through 1st and 3rd gear. I guess the bad output shaft bearing and almost non existent pilot bushing were causing the noise. Now its so quiet and all I hear is the exhaust note. Drove great for the few miles I did get to drive it. Back under the cover on the ground and bone dry on the floor. My huge project is a success.
Congratulations!

A little something followed me home tonight - a 360 magnum. At $300, I couldn't say no, even though it'll likely be 2 or more years before she's dropped into a car. I also have a line on a 4 speed that'll mate up to the 360. Always gotta be thinking ahead....
KrMxpILgTvG6UoLvYwiBrA.jpg

Righty Tighty can you show a Pic of the side of the column. Did you use long clamps?
So here are some pics. I know, the tach face needs to be straightened. But basically I used a hose clamp with 5/16" heat shrink slipped over prior to install. It's not 100% perfect, but for my application I'm happy with it. You can't really see the band around the steering column unless you really look for it.
uaK5KApDTT+G0mszgr%79g.jpg
6BoWDM2URcC+TyBTwyibpw.jpg
X5pwZMAxRZms6kmTHzu5Xw.jpg

DSC_0141.JPG

I got about this far, when I started having a little trouble with a temperature change that caused my heads to sweat real bad. So we took a break and cut firewood awhile...
DSC_0147.JPG

Test fitting a flip top cap & spacer. Still not sure if it sticks out too much. I think I can shave the spacer down a mm or 2 to get the cap even closer to the body. Looks good from the side though.
fliptop2.jpg
fliptop3.jpg
fliptop4.jpg

Last edited:
Got the motor and transmission pulled out of the Barracuda Saturday evening. Brought it into work to degrease and get ready to reseal and paint. After the motor was pulled out I looked in the engine compartment and found out why the steering seemed so "loose" Note the missing bolt AND the bolt backed out half way on the steering box!!! Only one bolt left and it was loose!!! There's a good reason to check things out when it doesn't feel "right"

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Already bought a new 16-1 manual steering box and Idler arm from PST I will be replacing all hardware with the correct bolts. This is why you pull cars apart to "fix" things and the project snowballs. You should see the wiring I've found so far : (

I was going by the shinny zinc plated coating, not the fact it wasn't a 12 point! Both were used, 6's and 12's, but that isn't OEM hardware holding the box.

I too have been caught up in the "might as well while you have it apart" scenario. The heads are off, so I have the best access I will ever have to the steering box, which was leaking anyway, so I have just ordered a remanufactured box. Who knows, it may also help with the loose on center feel.

steering box.jpg

E15316EA-F429-4F5E-A06B-1F913A2609BC.jpeg
Went to a coffee and cars saw this really nice 67 Notchback with 273 all original car except the 8 3/4 and after market AC. Was equipped with dealer installed AC which still had the sticker on the window. The rims also.

Stole the chip clips... now the kids 30 bags of potato chips are going to go stale... at least my door cards will be glued back down... this is 1 of 2 that need fixed a little. Not perfect but will work.

20210201_150535.jpg

Nice sunny -13C day, so thought I'd get my car out for some vitamin B5.... of course I plowed a path first, not like the old days of taking this thing to the ski hills first thing in the AM before they'd plowed the roads!
View attachment 1715678739 View attachment 1715678740 View attachment 1715678741 View attachment 1715678742 View attachment 1715678743

Um...excuse me sir. That is not an A body... you are going to have to give that over to the proper authorities... better yet, drop it off at my house and I'll get rid of it for you.. :poke:

Looks great! I love coronets.

Stole the chip clips... now the kids 30 bags of potato chips are going to go stale... at least my door cards will be glued back down... this is 1 of 2 that need fixed a little. Not perfect but will work.

Edit... for some reason it may actually be worse than when it started... it seems to be bubbling real bad in the middle now... ill take pictures in a bit...

View attachment 1715682058

OK here's another good reason for a teardown of a car you didn't build. On start up the car would make a strange noise kind of like the starter was hanging up briefly. I pulled the harmonic balancer off the engine today and this is what I found. It's an aftermarket balancer of unknown make that's obviously not an exact fit.

IMG_0570.JPG

-
Back