What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Spent the day at the M1 Concourse as a guest of the people that did the metal/paint on my 71 Demon 340. This is part of the Woodward Dream Cruise this weekend. Perfect weather, lots of great food, and roughly 800 cars at this special event. Meanwhile, the Dream Cruise was getting cranked up all day on Woodward Ave just outside the gates.

Was there from 7:30 this morning until about 4:15. People were very kind as many of them came over to us to talk about the Demon. People seem to like Green Go!! Then we came home and took a break. Planning to take the avatar 72 out on the Woodward streets tonight!! Let's hope the fuel pump doesn't want to try and strand us like last year.....

20220819_100921.jpg

20220819_120150.jpg

20220819_100908.jpg

Spent the day at the M1 Concourse as a guest of the people that did the metal/paint on my 71 Demon 340. This is part of the Woodward Dream Cruise this weekend. Perfect weather, lots of great food, and roughly 800 cars at this special event. Meanwhile, the Dream Cruise was getting cranked up all day on Woodward Ave just outside the gates.

Was there from 7:30 this morning until about 4:15. People were very kind as many of them came over to us to talk about the Demon. People seem to like Green Go!! Then we came home and took a break. Planning to take the avatar 72 out on the Woodward streets tonight!! Let's hope the fuel pump doesn't want to try and strand us like last year.....

View attachment 1715972890

View attachment 1715972891

View attachment 1715972892
I live close to Woodward. Call me if you break down. I'll come get you. Pm me. You can stop over.

Axles have been sitting in the shop for 20+ years, so they gathered a little dust and rust. I cleaned them up, injected the bearings and oiled the shafts. Getting ready to stab them back in place in a few days.
20220819_171804.jpg

VICTORY!!!!! It lives! First drive today. It went really well. Still need to bleed the brakes again. But she rips

Yesterday the Berkley, MI cops spotted the "Golden Oldie" (using their drone) making a break for it during the Woodward Dream Cruise :lol:

Berkley cops found the Dart GT.JPG

Laid my trunk gasket during lunch today. Used about 50 wooden clothes pins.

Now we wait...

20220821-191334.jpg

Had the avatar car at the Dream Cruise on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. About an 18 mile drive from my house. On Saturday, traffic was wicked in Pontiac. Took about 25 min to go a few hundred yards in 86 degree weather :(. And that was less than half a lap around Pontiac! Had both cooling fans running at full song - temp got up to about 190F so that was a good test. But that's about when I heard the new fuel pump pick up speed and saw the fuel pressure fall off to about 2 psi. The pump was cavitating due to the heat and so little fuel flow through it for so long. Flipped it off momentarily a couple times and it came back at full pressure so fortunately I was able to turn off on a sude street and get out of that traffic mess! Gave the car a few "lively" accelerations to flow some fuel through the pump and had no further issues. Drove a few miles on Woodward then found a good spot to park the car and watch the action.

I did learn something: the traffic lights are INCREDIBLY long! Sitting at a light in a car like this for a 2-3 minute light cycle is FOREVER!! Then 3-5 cars get through and the cycle starts again. Never notice that in a daily driver but sure did in this car!!

Watched the radar and left around 4:30. Rain started about 2 miles from home so was able to get home mostly dry. Good times!!

Had the avatar car at the Dream Cruise on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. About an 18 mile drive from my house. On Saturday, traffic was wicked in Pontiac. Took about 25 min to go a few hundred yards in 86 degree weather :(. And that was less than half a lap around Pontiac! Had both cooling fans running at full song - temp got up to about 190F so that was a good test. But that's about when I heard the new fuel pump pick up speed and saw the fuel pressure fall off to about 2 psi. The pump was cavitating due to the heat and so little fuel flow through it for so long. Flipped it off momentarily a couple times and it came back at full pressure so fortunately I was able to turn off on a sude street and get out of that traffic mess! Gave the car a few "lively" accelerations to flow some fuel through the pump and had no further issues. Drove a few miles on Woodward then found a good spot to park the car and watch the action.

I did learn something: the traffic lights are INCREDIBLY long! Sitting at a light in a car like this for a 2-3 minute light cycle is FOREVER!! Then 3-5 cars get through and the cycle starts again. Never notice that in a daily driver but sure did in this car!!

Watched the radar and left around 4:30. Rain started about 2 miles from home so was able to get home mostly dry. Good times!!

Good memories!

Thanks for the story on the fuel issue. I have been considering running a return line and this has sold me on the extra work to do it. Thank you.

Good memories!

Thanks for the story on the fuel issue. I have been considering running a return line and this has sold me on the extra work to do it. Thank you.
I've been too lazy to run a return line. It would probably help but will also increase the temp in the fuel cell. Likely that should not be an issue and any negatives (more fumes venting) would be outweighed by the positive of keeping the pump somewhat happier. The MagnaFuel pump in it previously had a bypass that returned fuel to the tank so it was essentially a return system but that pump let me down twice.

Probably a better solution for me would be to get a lower-flowing pump...just enough to maintain full pressure going down the track. Buying and testing fuel pumps has not been on my 'wish list of things to do!
But if I was starting out building this car, I would likely run a separate return line so I had the option to use it or not.

Worked awesome getting fuel from the Gas Tank to the fuel pump. Everything is new. So 14 ft of line needed to be filled.

20220823_163519.jpg

Finished installing a FASS lift pump in my 04 Ram 2500 with Cummins. My old body does NOT like crawling under and reaching up, so it took me more than a week working no more than an hour or two a day and not every day. The pic is from yesterday so the power cord is not hooked up, but I got that done today. Still have to zip tie up the fuel line and electrical line (FASS gave me 5-6 extra feet of the latter), maybe shorten the overflow hose a few inches, and then take it for a test drive, but it runs!

20220822_170617.jpg

Got my hood out of storage and mocked up. Having my paint guy shoot it with a 60% semi gloss black paint. I really dig it. Unlimited got a lot of crap for quality a few years ago, but mine fit really well out of the box. Seems like the new ownership upped their game

20220823-185242.jpg

20220823-183644.jpg

20220823-191426.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back