what carb for 340

-

1971demonH

Reaction score
how many cfm do i want and how many inlets? 340ci 10.9/1 xe274 rpm air gap intake and headers 3.55 sure grip 4 speed. the cam and intake are good at 1500-6500. its a street car but built for higher rpm range. intake recommends 600-800cfm. summit calculator says 575- street and 700-race. my research looks like a 750cfm would be good. I'm planning on electric choke and vacuum sec.

I believe the formula is CI MULTIPLIED BY MAX RPM DIVIDED BY .3456
Puts you around a 550 cfm. I think that's right? Based on 5500 RPM. I think you can multiply up by ten percent for inefficiency? I have a 360 .030 over with an air gap and a 650 runs on it perfect

A 650 would be the best for roaming the street. Excellent throttle response.
A 750 would be fine as well through the throttle respond will go down a little bit since the larger barrels wil have slower velocity. Not a big deal. It'll work fine.
The larger carb is geared for top end performance.

Where do you spend your time?

A good old 3310 would be tough to beat.

i like what I've been reading about the edelbrock thunder series 800. any thoughts on dual vs single fuel inlets?

770 holley elect choke and vacume secondaries works great on 340-360 street builds.

Holley List 6160 (600) Its a factory Holley off of a 68 383.

Best dam carb i put on my 340.
I have run AFB AVS T.Q. 3310(took the fuel bowls off and made the 6160 a duel feed.)
750 holley and some tricked out 780 Holley.
The only one that i liked as good or maybe a little bit better was the TQ before the throttle shaft stared sucking to much air through it.

The 6160 was the best throttle responding carb. and got me the best et as well.

Its an non popular list #, and if i came across another one i would smag it up as well.

A good old 3310 would be tough to beat.

^^^^^^ Xs2

If you go 600 ish, it'll run fine, but just remember,, as the ricers pull away,,

"WoW,, I coulda had a 750/780" . . lol

hope it helps

PS.. I have never been to a swap meet where you couldn't pick up a 3310- 750/780 for less than a $100... Kit it and luv it..

Cuda Fever >

Carburetor Info,

* Holley #6160-1
* Series ............. 4160 {Vacuum Secondary}
* Application ..... 1972 Mopar 440's {225 HP Base Engine and 245 HP w/Dual Exhaust}
* Throttles ......... 1.563" Primary x 1.563" Secondary
* Venturi's......... 1.063" {Primary} x Automatic Vacuum {Secondary}
* CFM Rating...... 600 {Advertised}

Note; Though 'advertised' at 600 CFM, this Holley Carburetor put out closer to 635 CFM on
the 440 {@ W.O.T.}

Note; Was used on Automatic Transmission 'only' cars.

It is a fairly decent Holley Carburetor for 340 "General Street Performance' engines.

[URL="http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu51/tbone32/004-1.jpg"][URL="http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu51/tbone32/004-1.jpg"]
[/URL][/URL]

Holley street avenger , 670 or the 770 . Easy to set up elec choke works well . N o problems starting on cold mornings with the Air gap intake .

Keep in mind that picking a carb by "cfm" is totally related to wide open throttle results. For maximum power, a 340 built your way will love a 750/770 carb.....again for maximum power.

On the street, cruising around, the total cfm is irrelevant. As long as you chose a carb that's not built for racing only, and calibrated for street or street/strip use, it's really only your right foot that controls things with the primaries doing their job.........A big carb will flow the same with a little less throttle opening & and a small carb will require a little more throttle to do the same thing.

Has this engine been run on the street with pump gas before? Aside from the carb question, the 10.9/1 compression has me curious?.......Just wondering how much timing you can run with it.

A 750ish carb will not feel soft down low at all, as long as you can run some timing.

A 750ish carb will not feel soft down low at all, as long as you can run some timing.

Exactly,,

It's been my experience, depending on the engine, that folks keep stuffing bigger squirters and primary jets,, which, in fact can decrease the "crispness" of the low end response,, and that actually going to a smaller squirter and jets will often result in better low rpm response,,

And as mentioned,, lots of initial timing..

hope it helps

Cuda Fever >

Carburetor Info,

* Holley #6160-1
* Series ............. 4160 {Vacuum Secondary}
* Application ..... 1972 Mopar {440/245 HP} > Big Body Cars
* Throttles ......... 1.563" Primary x 1.563" Secondary
* Venturi's......... 1.063" {Primary} x Automatic Vacuum {Secondary}
* CFM Rating...... 650

Note; Was used on Automatic Transmission 'only' cars.

It is a fairly decent Holley Carburetor for 340 "General Street Performance' engines.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu51/tbone32/004-1.jpghttp://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu51/tbone32/004-1.jpg
Thanks for the education!!!:thumblef:
It is just like a 1850 except, the metering block is a little different and the primary throttle blades had a small hole drilled in them, from the factory.

Any ways that's my favorite :cheers:

Cuda Fever

You are welcome sir.

The #6160 is one nifty Carburetor. Very under-rated. Hard to find.

A good 'low-emission' and mileage carburetor from Holley for the 1972 Mopar 440's
* 440/225 HP ~ 'Base Engine'
* 440/245 HP ~ 'w/Dual-Exhaust'

I like your modification of a 'Dual-Feed' inlet........

Es My Bueno !!

Keep in mind that picking a carb by "cfm" is totally related to wide open throttle results. For maximum power, a 340 built your way will love a 750/770 carb.....again for maximum power.

On the street, cruising around, the total cfm is irrelevant. As long as you chose a carb that's not built for racing only, and calibrated for street or street/strip use, it's really only your right foot that controls things with the primaries doing their job.........A big carb will flow the same with a little less throttle opening & and a small carb will require a little more throttle to do the same thing.

Has this engine been run on the street with pump gas before? Aside from the carb question, the 10.9/1 compression has me curious?.......Just wondering how much timing you can run with it.

Thanks for clearing that up Rick!

i like what I've been reading about the edelbrock thunder series 800. any thoughts on dual vs single fuel inlets?

I am running this carb on my 408. I can't give you any real experience with it yet as I'm still waiting on the machine shop. I did get this extra fuel line instead of running the single inlet though.

Edelbrock8133_zps0e1eca66.jpg

Originally Posted by OldmanRick

Actually, this is correct Dispite what I wrote above. When I wrote what I did, it was a statement of "in general" issues assoc. with carbs and not exactly the way I wanted to portray what a 750 on top would feel like or actually work and feel like.

Tuning is everything.

Someone mentioned the 800 AVS. That, IMO, is not a good idea for this engine. I'd do the smaller AVS on this engine for street duty. As far as the Edelbrock carbs are concerned.

If it were MY car, it would be a 750 DP.

A well tuned Holley is hard to beat. Street car Id go w a Holley 650 DP. I usually run a 750 DP but I hit the track. I did notice the 650 is a little more crisp off the line but the 750 will give you more top end. I have multiple of both and mix and match from time to time depending on what im doing. Tuning is key

Personnaly I would not use the dper on a auto street car, stick with the 770 holley.

-
Back