What carburetor to run with my AMC360 in a CJ7 Jeep

-

Wolfgang Neitzke

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to this community and don’t have much experience with carburetors. I bought a CJ7-Jeep last year with a AMC 360 and it has a very hard time starting. I noticed gas leaking out of the carburetor which is a Holley (don’t know the exact model) I may want to invest into a brand new carburetor, but I don’t know which one to choose. Maybe some of you can give me some advice

Could be a Holley or a Motorcraft or even a FOMOCO. AMC used just about anything and everything if it is the factory carburetor. Might be best to get the number off of it and see what it is first. I'm sure you could still order a reman through a parts store.

Hi guys, I am new to this community and don’t have much experience with carburetors. I bought a CJ7-Jeep last year with a AMC 360 and it has a very hard time starting. I noticed gas leaking out of the carburetor which is a Holley (don’t know the exact model) I may want to invest into a brand new carburetor, but I don’t know which one to choose. Maybe some of you can give me some advice
First. Figure out what is on there.
Carb: A Holley will have the 'list number' stamped on the choke tower. A Motorcraft would have had a metal tag and sticker with identification numbers on it.
Intake: Almost all aftermarket intakes will have the manufacturer's name in the casting. If its an iron intake its probably AMC. Off the top my head AMC used just two intakes for the 360 jeep applications, a four barrel version and a two barrel version. Might be early or export versions without EGR provision.
If you decide to change carbs, its important to know what intake is on there.

Second: The carb leak should be identified. On a Holley, it could simply need new gaskets, on the bowl or depending on the model, the needle and seats or inlet. The motorcrafts have a few places they can leak besides the inlet depending on the version; powervalve and accelerator pump.
The Motorcraft carbs that AMC originally used are quite good for both everyday driving and off road. One advantage of the original carbs is the choke and fast idle mechanism works decently. You will likely still need to provide the carb with a few pumps of the throttle for first start of the day.

AMC version Motorcraft 2150 shown here: Help tuning Carb - International Full Size Jeep Association
Earlier 2100 is similar.

AMC Motorcraft 4350 carbs here:
International Full Size Jeep Association - View Single Post - Advice on a new carburetor

Last edited:
low revving CJ7, Id go with a spreadbore, like a TQ or a Holley replacement model. TQ's aint new but you can still get Holley remans off the net. I know nothing about Rochester 'cept it's in in New York.

If its a factroy 4 bbl intake, then start with the link to 4350 carbs and follow it to Dr Bob's comparison page.
You'll thank me if you do this before spending money on a carb that doesn't fit.

As is usually beneficial would be pictures that would go a long way toward eliminating guessing from our end. Doctors use x-rays, we use photos.

Yeah, pictures of the offending carburetor would be helpful. Someone here may be able to tell you how to fix it without buying anything other than an overhaul kit.

I’ve got a nice Holley spreadbore 6210 that’s ready to run. Pm me if interested.

Jake

-
Back