what color should I paint my suspension?

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I am looking for a good spray type paint for my suspension. Right now it has been blasted and ready for paint. If you could give me a good brand primer and flat black type paint that would be great. I need something that will hold up. I dont want to do it twice. Any ideas? Also is there a type of filler paint out there for this? I have some heavy pitting in one area and I would like to make it smooth. Thanks.

Don't use flat black, dirt will stick to it and you will never get it clean. Use semi-gloss or chassis black (both of these are close to the factory black).

If you are shooting it with spray paint cans I would use something like Krylon (or another brand that you can get locally). Reason I say this is because (in my opinion) any spray paint till only hold up so well…… Getting a paint that they have locally allows you to touch up things anytime without ordering paint.

if you have a gun and can shoot paint get a pint of paint and shoot it base and clear or single stage it.

Thanks for the linkToolmanmike. so I should go with a semi gloss and not a flat black? If I do go with eastwood they have both. I also like the idea as stated above to go with something local. Is there much difference in eastwood than say krylon? Eastwood is about the cost of 4 cans of el-cheapo

Ok whats the difference in eastwoods chassis black and extreme chassis black?

Thanks for the linkToolmanmike. so I should go with a semi gloss and not a flat black? If I do go with eastwood they have both. I also like the idea as stated above to go with something local. Is there much difference in eastwood than say krylon? Eastwood is about the cost of 4 cans of el-cheapo

Eastwood is good stuff but..........Powder coat is the way to go. Leanna will do you a great job. Krylon works if you're on a budget. You can always touch up for a few bucks. I would use the satin black. mike

My suggestion, go to the POR-15 web site and get you some "Chassis Coat". Thin as suggested and apply with a gun. Looks like OEM satin black. Really tough. Looks great. Worked for me.

I have used Rustoleum Semi-Gloss black on Jeep frames and axles for years. Looks great, lasts fairly well, and can be touched up easy. $3.99 a can.

BUT, if you have your K-member and control arms stripped down and blasted, I would seriously consider powder coat.

Another vote for powdercoat. Can get a whole front suspension done for a couple hundred and it will last WAY longer.

go with powder coat. i didn't even get my suspension reassembled before i messed up the paint. now i wish i woulda gone with powder....

I used duplicolor engine enamel primer, and semi gloss black, and silver....It turned out okay...I don't have the cash for powder coat, although powder coat is awesome! Here's a pic of my suspension:

35a4okp.jpg

Hard to beat rustoleum. i used the semi gloss so it wouldnt be too shiny

This is all I have been using on mine. Cut it 30-40% with paint thinner. I did my scoops and wing with it and they came out awesome. And at $8 a quart the price is right.

I just did mine with por 15...looks great if you like shiney..next time semi gloss ..want pictures...

I would shy away from powder coat as it is a common problem in the 4x4 world that powder coated pieces often rust from inside the coating with no signs of the corrosion. Paints and primers although not as durable as powder coating have chemical rust inhibitors that powder coating does not. Now if you only drive your car acasionally and only on nice dry sunny days then PC would be fine. This is just my 2 cents, but I have seen first hand rusted out tube bumpers where the Powder coat looked good but the steel was all but gone.

First off. No powder coating. I spent some time on a truck forum, and some folks there regretted getting there frames powder coated. I'm not saying powder coating is bad, but paint can be touched up easy.If I were you, I would look around locally for paint, and then research the brands you found. Here a link to a thread that talks about frame paint: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=371828

A lot also depends on your intent for the car. If it is a daily driver, in all kinds of weather, use rustoleum (spray can or spray gun if you have one)... much cheaper and easier to touch up.

This is all I have been using on mine. Cut it 30-40% with paint thinner. I did my scoops and wing with it and they came out awesome. And at $8 a quart the price is right.

That's what I have used not quite that much thinner I think it was 5-15% and the best stuff I have used is Endura Paint which they use here on helicopter and heavy equipment. Its not the paint to shoot with out proper respirator protection as it full of Isocyanates and other bad stuff.

DuPont Imron polyurethane enamel is some tuff stuff also full of nasty stuff.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...rEsO0M&usg=AFQjCNGi0FvdtT2Ztwj2tzOp_3qU3_tV8A

Judging by the huuuuge tire box full of k-member and the 33 pounds of suspension parts that showed up last week, Slappy elected to go with powder coating.

Slappy Tod, please don't worry. The posts from the newbie 4x4 guys up there who claim the parts will rust from the inside out will NOT apply to the work I'm going to do for you. It's all in the prep ... and I know how to do it right.

Thank you for your business and your confidence in my abilities! I'll do my best to make your suspension the envy of the neighborhood. :-D

No disrespect CudaChick I'm know you do top tier work from what I have seen and read, But new here or not I have to disagree. I know a few coaters who highly recomend against powder coating for any undercariage components becouse of the lack of any chemical rust inhibiter in powdercoat. For example you get a chip from a rock in your paint, that spot rusts but moves very little and very slowly from thast spot to the surrounding metal. Powder coat although much harder to chip or scratch has nothing to stop or slow corrosion once a chip or scratch happens. If this is untrue then I will stand corrected but living in Oregon I personally would'nt chance it.
that said what would it cost to PC my M1 single plane intake?
Judging by the huuuuge tire box full of k-member and the 33 pounds of suspension parts that showed up last week, Slappy elected to go with powder coating.

Slappy Tod, please don't worry. The posts from the newbie 4x4 guys up there who claim the parts will rust from the inside out will NOT apply to the work I'm going to do for you. It's all in the prep ... and I know how to do it right.

Thank you for your business and your confidence in my abilities! I'll do my best to make your suspension the envy of the neighborhood. :-D

-
Back