What does anyone think of these intakes?

-
Put one of these on the son's 70 Duster project on a 318 with magnum heads. The fit was good, the only issue is the holes for the vertical magnum are drilled for 3/8" instead of 5/16" so before you torque things down make sure it's aligned since you can easily be off.

Still waiting to get the exhaust system on the Duster, so don't know how well they perform, but I imagine it will be close to a true Edelbrock.

Price is cheap for a reason..Chinese garbage...buy the real thing by the Edelbrock...

I think for the price it's great.

I have one on my new 408. A lot of people like them. So I dont see why I wouldnt either.
It is what it is. A copy of the edelbrock....for a lot cheaper than the same.

I really dont see a problem with it.

Some people say there Chinese garbage and others run them and like them. I just bought one myself for a low budget 360 build for my Duster. For the price there great, the outside castings a little worse than Edelbrock, but everything looks square and I put a gasket up to it and everything lines up great, and the runners look really nice. Would I have bought an Edelbrock if I had the $, yes, as I've always loved there products, but when you compare $269 plus shipping to the $145 shipped I got mine for the knock off, thats money I can put elsewhere in the car. Sorry, I like to buy american too when I can, but if I didnt look for the best deals, I wouldnt be able to build anything.

I just want to know why Chevy intakes from Edelbrock are much cheaper, there using the same amount of material. In todays finacial time you you got to go with what you can afford.

Butch

I can't understand the lower prices for chevy parts too. Not only in this case, but all kind of aftermarket parts are much cheaper for chevy... :(

Yep, I know it's a lot cheaper on things for my 71 C10 truck than for the Duster. I agree that the outside casting isn't as nicely finished as my Edelbrock on my truck, but the runners looked smooth inside, and the gasket surfaces were flat and sealed okay. Would I buy something half the price and chinese made for electronics or a precision part such as bearings? Probably not.

You better hope it seals and stays sealed by the water ports or you have coolant mixing with the motor oil.

I would wait and buy a used Edelbrock intake. I seen some 30+ years in fine shape, holley intakes back then were cast cheap and corroded by the water ports.

Years go by fast sometimes, my motor sits for 3 1/2 months in storage each year. I never check for coolant leaks when I get it going and never had a problem. Coolant pressure is 10 psi plus trying to force the coolant out, if it leaks outside the motor no biggie, however if it leaks inside the motor you better catch it quick.

I put a brand new Mopar old stock timing cover on my new motor for that reason alone.

I would not put one on my motor if it was free!

Lots-o-members here have that china knock off with good results. The port alignment may not be all that. Otherwise, good reviews abound here on that intake.

I can't understand the lower prices for chevy parts too. Not only in this case, but all kind of aftermarket parts are much cheaper for chevy... :(

it's because there is a larger market for them, but thats not necessarily a good thing. See chevys are such garbage, you have to change everything but the block to compete with a mopar, so there r more parts and more buyer for those parts.

Nascar actually changed the rule to cater to the sb chevy just so they could keep up in the early 70's, meanwhile crippling the moars cause hey were far superior.

mainstream is chevy, but look how lame the mainstream is=mtv/reality shows etc...it's reaching but still closely related in lameness.

nothing wrong with todays batch of cross wind intakes.

Really we should be happy they still make brand new parts for our outdated la motors, ha ha.

Chevy parts are cheaper, nothing we can do about it. More companies make parts for Chevy's. Its supply vs demand. We have little supply of parts and little demand compare to those Chevy motors.

Once you get in to the aftermarket blocks, etc the Chevy's stuff isn't bad. In fact its really good for the price.

I always had used old intakes I got off ebay--for $50 to $100 and all work great. I see little reason to buy new unless you need it tomorrow. Ebay does seem not as good lately, guess everybody sold off their good stuff by now it seems. Once in a while a good part still shows up on ebay.

I think for the price it's great.

I have one on my new 408. A lot of people like them. So I dont see why I wouldnt either.
It is what it is. A copy of the edelbrock....for a lot cheaper than the same.

I really dont see a problem with it.

Set them side by side and you'll quickly see they are not a copy of the Edelbrock. The Eddy has larger ports and is taller. They are an air-gap, but not the same. Do they work ok for some people? Yes they do. A buddy had one on his hot 340 and it ran ok. I bet an Eddy would have had a top end advantage. JMO

Its because Chevys always break and the parts companies know that they will make enough money through quantity sold. Just my opinion.

We are told it's supply and demand.Basically theres way more demand for the chevie stuff and theres way more parts available to. I look at it like I am being forced to pay more for mopar parts to help subsidise the chevies cheap prices.

You better hope it seals and stays sealed by the water ports or you have coolant mixing with the motor oil.

I would wait and buy a used Edelbrock intake. I seen some 30+ years in fine shape, holley intakes back then were cast cheap and corroded by the water ports.

Years go by fast sometimes, my motor sits for 3 1/2 months in storage each year. I never check for coolant leaks when I get it going and never had a problem. Coolant pressure is 10 psi plus trying to force the coolant out, if it leaks outside the motor no biggie, however if it leaks inside the motor you better catch it quick.

I put a brand new Mopar old stock timing cover on my new motor for that reason alone.

I would not put one on my motor if it was free!

If you use the proper specific gravity of coolant and a good coolant like the modern mopar red stuff, there will be no corrosion. Also it's good practice to seal around the water ports with a small amount of rtv.
You'll never get leaks that way.

I don't like dual-plane intake manifolds......prefer single planes.

I've used one. Once. Unless I get one for free, I won't bother with them again. The problems I found were a more brittle and inconsistent aluminum (installing the pressed in plugs for the unused holes resulted in cracks), poorly threaded holes (as in not threaded deep enough), poor alignment of the bolt holes, and what really killed it was the porosity that led to a coolant leak out the back of the intake... Above the sealant. This was a customer's engine. Following the installation which took longer because of the above issues, it was run and performed decently. It was removed and replaced witha real Air Gap which resulted in jetting the carb up 3 sizes and it feeling stronger. It is not a copy, and it is not as powerful, and it doesnt fit very well compared to most other available choices, and it may still mix fluids or leak. It isn't worth it to me again. I do know others here that had happier results.

We are told it's supply and demand.Basically theres way more demand for the chevie stuff and theres way more parts available to. I look at it like I am being forced to pay more for mopar parts to help subsidise the chevies cheap prices.

A basic law of finance applies, but it's not Supply vs. Demand. It's "the selling price is the highest price that a market will bear." We Mopar enthusiasts have no problem paying higher prices for our parts, so higher prices will be charged. When I say "we Mopar enthusiasts," I'm including the Barrett Jackson B and E body set, as well. Don't believe me? Consider that parts actually INCREASING in price. I have a nine year old Year One catalog, and it's disturbing. Companies will charge the highest price the market will bear. And with "Muscle" cars (particularly B and E bodies) increasing in value so rapidly, it has become somewhat of a rich mans game. I wouldn't say as A Body owners we are subsidizing the cheap Chevy parts prices. I think we are falling victim to what the B and E set has done to the market (considering we share much drivetrain componentry).

Note that I'm in no way down on the B and E phenomenon. I think it's great, and ultimately has increased the value of our humble A's. Of course I'm not a hot rodder, but a preserver, so my viewpoint does not include use of aftermarket performance components.

In summation, the burden of responsibility is on US. Every time we pull out the wallet, and pay for the overpriced intake, or header, we are validating the high price point. The manufacturer / distributor / retailer doesn't care that we grumble about doing so. It's just business.

The price is certainly attractive, but I too like to stay away from Chinese parts. I run a knock-off single plane( American made), that works really well. The only knock I have on this one is the dual bolt pattern. It just doesn't "look" right.
If it does what you wanted, then you got a good deal.

I bought one. Paid $159 to my door. Every aspect of it so far, is great. I had to barely touch up the intake ports, but I have seen alot worse with Name Brand intakes, there was NO casting flaws, and I inspected it thoroughly with a LED light and mirror. The only complaint I had was that the Magnum Intake Bolt Holes were a tiny bit oversize and the supplied plugs fit kinda loose.

I refuse to spend $300 shipped for core shifted machined castings and a pretty logo.

MPValveCovers001.jpg

:munky2:

So tell me, How many of you shop at WalMart? I personally have never in my life shopped WalMart or have never ever been inside a McDonalds or eaten their food but I do eat Chinese food.

The oil pan on my 360 is from China and seals perfectly. I also use a Toyota master cylinder, I am amazed at how many mopar people here won't use Chevy transmissions on their mopars and give a story why they don't but will use a Toyota alternator because AR Engineering makes the brackets.

Oh well, food for thought

Yeah you might eat Chinese food but is it from China, ha ha.

China gave us that deadly pet food awhile back. The drywall which the toxic fumes that rots the copper pipes behind it.

I refuse to eat anything from China. I took back a pack of frozen shrimp when I seen the made in China in back.

These people who like the China intakes, have they driven the motor for years and high mileage? Some just drive their cars once a week and only in nice weather! Would these intake hold up driven on salted winter roads, I doubt it. As Moper said they can and do leak, sometimes right through the metal. This is when they are almost new, ha ha.

There is so many used Edelbrock intakes on ebay I have a hard time buying a brand new one. Distributors yes, intakes, nope.

Hmm, there are aren't as many but here is what I found for the sb right now on . Bet they all will sell for less than a brand new China pos intake! Well maybe not the air gap, hmm, I wounder why??

SB Mopar Edelbrock Performer Intake Exc. condition:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-M...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e331b335

MOPAR 340 360 EDELBROCK 7576 RPM AIR GAP INTAKE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPA...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336050a3fe

Edelbrock LD4B Intake Mopar Small Block
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edel...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a12db8f7

EDELBROCK MOPAR 318/340/360 STREETMASTER INTAKE LLNEW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EDEL...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f4abb1fe

-
Back