What does the warning mean?

-
I recently bought my 66 Barracuda from out of state, and when I went to title it and register for a license plate, they sent a state trooper out to verify the VIN number. A 66 does not have the now standard 17 digit type VIN, the trooper referenced a book he had with him and crawl all over the car checking stuff. The trooper would not let me see the book, either!
so, I'm confused. a state trooper came to your home to inspect it? or did you drive it to the licensing office, and a state trooper came out of the office to inspect it?
Curious how other states do that sort of thing. I've heard some states are rather easy about titling. In Washington State we have to trailer it to the State Patrol Inspection Office to have it okey-dokeyed.

Georgia does the same thing. When I moved here a couple years ago, I called and they sent an officer out to my home to verify the VIN. He enjoyed looking at the car! Then he gave me the completed and signed form to take to the DMV to get title.

Hey at least he was thorough right?

Very thorough! The thing is, I had just sold a Corvette to a guy in New York, and all he needed was an emailed bill-of-sale. And it had a very short VIN also. I guess it really varies a lot state-to-state how they treat car titling.

Very thorough! The thing is, I had just sold a Corvette to a guy in New York, and all he needed was an emailed bill-of-sale. And it had a very short VIN also. I guess it really varies a lot state-to-state how they treat car titling.

The only place the officer looked at on mine was the door jam where I showed him. He didn't care to look anywhere else!!

so, I'm confused. a state trooper came to your home to inspect it? or did you drive it to the licensing office, and a state trooper came out of the office to inspect it?
Curious how other states do that sort of thing. I've heard some states are rather easy about titling. In Washington State we have to trailer it to the State Patrol Inspection Office to have it okey-dokeyed.

Yes, the trooper came to my house, my wife and I met him in the driveway. I couldn't / they wouldn't let me drive the car there as it had no tag being from out of state. They wouldn't even give me a 10 day temp tag without the inspection. And they paid no attention to any engine, exhaust, or safety items, it could have had a Top Fuel engine in it, they were only interested in the VIN.

In Idaho, an out of state car you either trailer it down to DMV, where one of the ladies comes out, "I get up on the trailer" and READ her the VIN while she looks at the title LOL, or else you call the local sheriff and they send a deputy who fills out a form documenting the VIN

Idaho is somewhat tough on titles. I have no idea what you do if you are so stupid as to buy a car without paperwork

Idaho is somewhat tough on titles. I have no idea what you do if you are so stupid as to buy a car without paperwork

You register it in AZ. :D
The woman at the motor vehicle dept told me that it made it a lot easier with NO paperwork, as any paperwork would require registered letters for proof of previous owner.
It was a bike that had never been plated that needed to be and I had ZERO paperwork.
They came out to the truck, had me read the VIN to them and for 23 bucks handed me a title in my name with a 1 year registration and a license plate on the spot.
I assume they did a stolen check on the VIN.

What's wrong with polygamy; If I had Solomon's gold I'd have 700wives plus concubines too!
Hey, I wonder what he did with the old worn out ones. Oh wait, he didn't live long enough...

In Kansas you have to go to the local Highway Patrol office to have them confirm the VIN. In the past few years, I have had 2 big problems with them. About 5 years ago, we bought a practically new RV in Arizona. It was less than a year old. When I went to the Highway Patrol Office, they refused to process my paperwork. They said the paperwork from the dealer was not in order, and that I needed the original title from the previous owner. The dealership was shocked. They told me they had sold thousands of RVs and their paperwork had never been refused. The Sales Manager talked to the HP people while I was there, but it did no good. It took 2 months to get a tag.
Then, about two years ago, I bought a Mercedes 500SL cheap at a Mecum auction. The same lady was not going to process my paperwork because the VIN tag was in the "wrong" place. She said it should be on dash by windshield. I proved to her online that it was in the door jamb, but she wouldn't budge. When I raised my voice a little, her boss came out, sided with me, and I got my paperwork stamped. What a pain.

Missouri is a **** hole back water state and we still have holograms, water marks, and every other methods of title counterfeit protection that US currency had five years ago.

This whole time I thought "Bel-Ray" was somewhere in California lol

Don't get me started on the DMV. About 20 years ago I bought a 1985 Yamaha RZVR 4 cyl 2 stroke Japanese market only bike from a guy in NH or one of these states with a registration only and no title because it was over 10 years old. I go to the DMV and the girl gave me a very hard time about it then another girl got out a book and showed her the way it is. So I'm in the clear so I thought, then she ask about the mileage witch was 9000 km but it said miles on the registration, so I told her she had to convert it from km to miles. Instead she just put down 9000 and marked the title as inaccurate mileage. I didn't even notice till I got to the parking lot and proceeded to flip out. I go back in and demand to see the manager explaining that this is a very rare bike and the mileage is accurate but the manager said once its printed it can't be undone, it's in the system.

Georgia does the same thing. When I moved here a couple years ago, I called and they sent an officer out to my home to verify the VIN. He enjoyed looking at the car! Then he gave me the completed and signed form to take to the DMV to get title.

To get a "title" or registration?
In other words, did you have an out of state title already?
I'm wondering because if you had any paperwork from another state you would not have needed the VIN check to get a tag.
If you didn't have a title GA won't give one.
Although I contacted the legislator responsible for that a 2 years ago and he told me they were working on something to title older cars.
For what that's worth.

@adriver, I had a valid Virginia title when we moved back to Georgia. When I moved to Georgia in September 2015 and they required the attached form. The Sheriff (since I lived in the county) filled it out, signed it, and I took it the DMV for a title.

To get a "title" or registration?
In other words, did you have an out of state title already?
I'm wondering because if you had any paperwork from another state you would not have needed the VIN check to get a tag.
If you didn't have a title GA won't give one.
Although I contacted the legislator responsible for that a 2 years ago and he told me they were working on something to title older cars.
For what that's worth.

Attachments

• MV_Serial_Plate_Verification_Form_T22B_0.pdf
    135.7 KB · Views: 239
@adriver, I had a valid Virginia title when we moved back to Georgia. When I moved to Georgia in September 2015 and they required the attached form. The Sheriff (since I lived in the county) filled it out, signed it, and I took it the DMV for a title.

I'm obviously surprised.
I've never tried to get a title in GA with an out of state one.
I'm familiar with the VIN verification process, but I was under the impression that was only for a car with no paperwork.
In other words they don't know if the car exist or not.
I'm wondering if what you were required to do was due the car's age.
I cannot imagine why they make all people moving in from out of state with newer cars do that.
That would be a monumental task of man hours for the cops.

You're probably correct....due to the age. I wish I could remember, but I just went down to switch over all three of my cars and was told I needed it.

Oh but was I SURPRISED when I found out the Ad Valorem tax had changed. We had a 2006 Tundra, a 2012 Sorento, and my 66 Barracuda. The welcome to Georgia tax cost us around $1100.

One bright spot is the benefit of no cost registration for military. I get to use it on two cars; one says retired Air Force and the other Veteran.

I'm obviously surprised.
I've never tried to get a title in GA with an out of state one.
I'm familiar with the VIN verification process, but I was under the impression that was only for a car with no paperwork.
In other words they don't know if the car exist or not.
I'm wondering if what you were required to do was due the car's age.
I cannot imagine why they make all people moving in from out of state with newer cars do that.
That would be a monumental task of man hours for the cops.

This is a good topic which gives me a reason to ask. Why at the bottom of the home page here it says how many users active on this site and how many robots are active. Are the robots searching for numbers like VINs or what are they doing.

there was a similar instance in Seattle about 6mos ago. Some guy had his 68? Pontiac Firebird 400 (convertible? ) stolen from his garage. They put it on the local news, and it turned up about a month later. Somebody had gotten his VIN # and gotten anot her title in the thief's name, BEFORE it was stolen. Don't ask me about any details, it wasn't my car, I'm not really into Pontiacs, I've slept since then, and I don't know how it was done. It just was, and it was on the news.

there was a similar instance in Seattle about 6mos ago. Some guy had his 68? Pontiac Firebird 400 (convertible? ) stolen from his garage. They put it on the local news, and it turned up about a month later. Somebody had gotten his VIN # and gotten anot her title in the thief's name, BEFORE it was stolen. Don't ask me about any details, it wasn't my car, I'm not really into Pontiacs, I've slept since then, and I don't know how it was done. It just was, and it was on the news.
Probably CNN. lmao

I found this on the Firebird....if it can be done they'll figure out how...
https://jalopnik.com/terrifyingly-comprehensive-car-thieves-forge-docs-then-1719576200

I found this on the Firebird....if it can be done they'll figure out how...
https://jalopnik.com/terrifyingly-comprehensive-car-thieves-forge-docs-then-1719576200
so I had the story correct. you never know when you get to my age, your memory can start confusing things, hahaha. The story did have a happy ending, IIRC. After all the publicity, the car was spotted, and recovered. I think the thieves actually put some money into it, fixing a few things, so he came out OK in the end.

-
Back