What does your bay look like?

-
Here's mine of the 70 Dart. Notice the Blacked out engine bay.. Previous owner must not have known that the engine bay is supposed to be the body color. Would love to change it but until I get money to repaint it looks fine for now 8)

dart4.jpg

Here's mine of the 70 Dart. Notice the Blacked out engine bay.. Previous owner must not have known that the engine bay is supposed to be the body color. Would love to change it but until I get money to repaint it looks fine for now 8)

You'll get there... mine was black until I couldn't stand it anymore. Do as much of it as you can yourself and save money. I did all the prep work myself, bought the paint and had my friend to spray it for free. He has a better hand than I do and knows how to mix the paint/clear etc...

Wish I could show you my buddies car.....his was black. We pulled themotor and he cleaned and wire wheeled the inside. Then he had a paint shop match the exterior and make home 3 paint bombs.....its a little rough but matches sweet.

I would like to know how you people keep your bays that clean! Seems like after the first year the paint started chipping off the engine! What do you guy's use for engine paint?

I use epoxy primer, DP50. With ppg Delstar acrylic enamel single stage. Have it mixed with a good sample to reference the color.

Did you add the heater hose retainer? Mine just hang there, no factory bracket to hold them.
Yea, I added one from Year 1. The car had that ugly red heater hose and there was already a hole in the apron. Correct or not, I like the look and it keeps the engine looking a little less cluttered.

Im having trouble deciding wither the paint the whole engine including intake or not. Also paining it the same color as the car. So could you guys post up your engine bay pics?

Here's the pics of my 3 bays!!:cheers:

I swear the garage bay started the project alot cleaner!!

dart 67 88.jpg

67 eng paint.jpg

garage shot!.jpg

No pics yet but my plan is--block painted body color, Plum Crazy. Black assesories. polish for brackets V\C and a few other items. And of course engine bay body color.

But thats not the question.

Here is a pic of my 63 dart with the 340 i built and installed..i painted my bay Flat black to give it an old school look and if i needed to at anytime, i could refresh it..then the 2nd pic is what it looks like now...lol... sold the 340 and cut the car up to build this.. still keeping the bay flat black and once the motor is complete in there i will be breaking some sheet metal to trim the inner fenders back out to cover all the holes in the front of the bay..

Disc 3 202.jpg

005.jpg

The bays in my Scamp (red) and Duster (yellow) I can't take too much credit for the yellow car, All I've done is pressure washed the entire thing, got rid of some cobbled together wiring, some rusted chrome items, and a few other cheesy items.

016.jpg

luke & duster 008.jpg

I painted my engine bay the same color as the car for the clean look and nice flow. I also pluged the heater motor hole and numours other holes that were not in use. Just got it back from the paint shop last month.

dart_06022009_007.jpg

painted the engine bay 1st ,the rest of the car will be painted white.when time and $$$ allow.

dart eng..jpg

My opinion........

Don't go body color unless its a show car...
Don't go body color if you can't keep your engine as clean as the outside of the car.

It looks cool when its first done but mostly looks like crap after some real world miles.

Go with one of the stock engine colors and you will be able to touch up things anytime.

Though I like original scheme, this guy's right.
If you 'really drive' your car the compartment gets grimy after a while.

pressure sprayer works good.

Here is the Plum Crazy car currently and the RedScampi from the day I got it. One of the great things about a body colored bay is that you can see things in the bay more clearly, especially on a brightly colored car. Flat black absorbs light and makes issues like oil spills harder to see.

P1030836 (Large).jpg

PICT0002 (Large).jpg

Here's mine!

GettingCloser.jpg

My 440 will be black, intake the same as the engine bay and the car a cream color with striping matched to the engine bay

heres mine..thats all just waiting on a very sweet 418 storker..

Attachments

• GetAttachmendart418.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 744
-
Back