What Engine to go with

-
Go back and look at your original question.
You wanted an engine with a decent top end,for and occasional highway run.
Well a small block will do that. For the money, a small block makes the most sense.
By the way an A-body with a properly prepped 408 will wax an A-body with a 383.

An why would you stop at a 383 ? Why not step up to a 440 ?

True. How much machine work does the 408 kit need?

Go back and look at your original question.
You wanted an engine with a decent top end,for and occasional highway run.
Well a small block will do that. For the money, a small block makes the most sense.
By the way an A-body with a properly prepped 408 will wax an A-body with a 383.

An why would you stop at a 383 ? Why not step up to a 440 ?

I didnt think a 440 would fit very well in an A Body.

I have a 73 Dart 318. I have done a lot of soul searching and have decided to go with a 408 stroker between 400 - 450 hp. I don't have a 360 to start with so I will probably do a crate engine. The main reason is I can get serious power and everything bolts up easily. If you have a numbers matching 360, I can't see putting a stroker kit into it. Get another motor to play with and put yours aside. You are definitely going to stretch your budget unless you already have the 8.75 rear on hand. I am in the same boat as you and the costs are giving me a heart attack. No one ever said fast cars were cheap!

Has anyone tried out either the scat or eagle 408 stroker kit? I am not so familiar with the scat company but have heard great things about them in my search. Eagle has good quality kits as well and I know more about eagle. Also, what head does the 408 benefit from the most? The heads I have been looking at are W2's, RHS Mopar Indy 360 X, and Edelbrock Performer RPM. Does anyone know anything about the Voodoo cams? Are they good cams? Thanks everyone for the advise

Awsome POWER ! ! !

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 72
Hmmm, looks like an aircraft engine. NOT a radial......who used a "v" engine? P-51 Mustang engine? Allison engine!

The models of the aircraft carriers in the background gave me a clue.

P51 Mustangs used a Merlin engine(Rolls-Royce). 1650 HP

Hmmm, looks like an aircraft engine. NOT a radial......who used a "v" engine? P-51 Mustang engine? Allison engine!

The models of the aircraft carriers in the background gave me a clue.

It's two Allison aircraft engines mated together to form a V24.

-
Back