What fits>

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
ok 71 Duster completely stock. Am getting and A body 8-3/4 rear end with LBP. I have been through every thread on this forum and am still confused.

I see most say that a 15x8 with a 4.5 BS and an L 60 or 275/60 will fit no problem a little tight. i have a spring relocate kit to use if needed.

Problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Cragar only makes a 15x8 with a 4-1/4 BS will that push the tire and wheel out too far?

Torque thrust makes a 15x8.5 not a 15x8 what BS to use with that wheel?

Dont want to toss good money away on the wrong backspace and width combo. Some help please.

Sheldon.

The 15x8.5" with 4.5" BS will stick out 1/4" further than the 15x8" with 4 1/4" BS...You won't touch on a Duster with either one of those wheels and a 275 60 15. It will be close if you load the rear end down or have weak springs, but you should be good either way.

I use 15x8 rims with 4.5" BS and a 255 60 15 tire on a 72 dart, and have less room then you do, and I am clear on both sides.

Sent cragar an email to see if they make the 15x8 wheels with a 4.5 " BS if not will have to find something else.

With a 15x6 wheel on the front with disc brakes, what BS is needed for that 6" wheel?

SBP Cragars from Newstalgia Wheels...their BBP Cragars have the same backspacing.

15x8 with 4.25" BS
275/60/15 tires

15x6 with 3.375" BS
215/65/15 tires

Since this picture, the car has been lowered front and back a little bit, looks perfect to me.

Paul

vbpgimage.php

I was going to add that years ago when you wanted a wide wheel we had stock wheels done. I had a 70 340 Duster that I had a 3 1/2" band added to the outside of a stock SMP ralley with J-60 x14 J C Penny scat tracks and it was a perfect fit,no rubbing.

SBP Cragars from Newstalgia Wheels...their BBP Cragars have the same backspacing.

15x8 with 4.25" BS
275/60/15 tires

15x6 with 3.375" BS
215/65/15 tires

Since this picture, the car has been lowered front and back a little bit, looks perfect to me.

Paul

vbpgimage.php

Thank you Thank you Thank you. This is the post i have been searching and waiting for. did you move the rear springs in at all, or do any mods to get them L-60's to fit? Your car looks amazing.

72 Duster Paul,
Thanks for your info on tire size. I just purchased a '71 Duster and was looking for larger tire sizes for it. I love the cragar look on the Duster.

I ordered everything. 15x6 Cragar SS wheels with 205/70/15 for the front, and 15x8 Cragar SS with the McCreary L-60/15 for the rear.

Ok I know its been ask numerous times on what fits? I keep reading Cragar doesn't make Direct Fit SBP 5 X 4.0 Wheels, But they do. Summit list them and so does Cragars Web Site, I own a 71 Duster Front Disc brakes 4 piston calipers SBP and it does a damn good job of stopping the Duster along with the 8-3/4 rear SBP drums. Can anyone tell me with all the available wheel and tire combo why anyone would want to add the extra expense of changing to the larger bolt pattern?
I know its been ask before what wheel and tire fits a 71 Duster. What Id like to hear is form anyone running the SBP Direct Fit Cragars 15x6 3-3/8'' BS front 215x60 BFG TA Radials and Rear 15X7 4-1/8'' BS 235X60 BFG TA Radials
Just this combo and if there is any tire to fender clearance problems
Thanks PapaDuster

Ok I know its been ask numerous times on what fits? I keep reading Cragar doesn't make Direct Fit SBP 5 X 4.0 Wheels, But they do. Summit list them and so does Cragars Web Site, I own a 71 Duster Front Disc brakes 4 piston calipers SBP and it does a damn good job of stopping the Duster along with the 8-3/4 rear SBP drums. Can anyone tell me with all the available wheel and tire combo why anyone would want to add the extra expense of changing to the larger bolt pattern?
I know its been ask before what wheel and tire fits a 71 Duster. What Id like to hear is form anyone running the SBP Direct Fit Cragars 15x6 3-3/8'' BS front 215x60 BFG TA Radials and Rear 15X7 4-1/8'' BS 235X60 BFG TA Radials
Just this combo and if there is any tire to fender clearance problems
Thanks PapaDuster

Why swap to the bigger bolt pattern? Uh, because there's basically nothing other than stock designs or Cragars for the SBP? That's not a lot of options. Some of us don't like either of those. But that's a matter of opinion. That doesn't even get into running something other than stock brakes, and it certainly doesn't address tire selection. The KH's and 10" drums do a decent job for stopping especially with the kind of grip (or lack thereof) that you get out of BFG T/A's, but of course you can do better. And replacement components for the SBP brakes are not always easy to find when it comes time to replace rotors, drums, etc. At the moment pretty much everything is available, but there have been long droughts when you couldn't get the parts you need to rebuild those brakes new. Meanwhile, BBP brake parts are relatively cheap and easy to find and you have a huge selection of various rim sizes and designs to choose from.

As for that tire/wheel combo, in the back you'll have about 1 mile of extra clearance. Ok, not a mile but it might as well be. 235's in a space that will hold 275's. 255's would be easy with those rims.

In the front you'll be further out to the fenders than you need to be, but it should clear just with the narrower track width of the SBP disks. Shouldn't have any problems.

I have a question for you all. I have a 1968 Dart GT with the factory disc brakes and 14" steel wheels SBP from the factory. I just bought 4 brand new 14x7 Cragar ss wheels for the car. From listening to all of you it sounds like my wheels are not going to fit on my car. Would I need to go to a 15x7 wheel or will the wheels I have work for me? Appreciate any help on this, Thanks Brian

Why swap to the bigger bolt pattern? Uh, because there's basically nothing other than stock designs or Cragars for the SBP? That's not a lot of options. Some of us don't like either of those. But that's a matter of opinion. That doesn't even get into running something other than stock brakes, and it certainly doesn't address tire selection. The KH's and 10" drums do a decent job for stopping especially with the kind of grip (or lack thereof) that you get out of BFG T/A's, but of course you can do better. And replacement components for the SBP brakes are not always easy to find when it comes time to replace rotors, drums, etc. At the moment pretty much everything is available, but there have been long droughts when you couldn't get the parts you need to rebuild those brakes new. Meanwhile, BBP brake parts are relatively cheap and easy to find and you have a huge selection of various rim sizes and designs to choose from.

As for that tire/wheel combo, in the back you'll have about 1 mile of extra clearance. Ok, not a mile but it might as well be. 235's in a space that will hold 275's. 255's would be easy with those rims.

In the front you'll be further out to the fenders than you need to be, but it should clear just with the narrower track width of the SBP disks. Shouldn't have any problems.

I have a question for you all. I have a 1968 Dart GT with the factory disc brakes and 14" steel wheels SBP from the factory. I just bought 4 brand new 14x7 Cragar ss wheels for the car. From listening to all of you it sounds like my wheels are not going to fit on my car. Would I need to go to a 15x7 wheel or will the wheels I have work for me? Appreciate any help on this, Thanks Brian

14x7's will fit if the backspace is correct. What's the backspace?

not sure of the back space. will have to measure. I have heard that sometimes the rim rubs against the caliper, is this true?

-
Back