what happened?

-

plumcrazy704406

Reaction score
I would like you body members to give your idea of what happened to this door striker and how much to correct it?
thx
:prayer:

Attachments

• BARRACUDA DETAIL 023.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 358
it either broke or rusted off. Then they half assed welded it back. They should have finished the welds up then maybe out a little filler smoothed it and then painted it

looks kinda like someone just welded that on and didnt do a great job of cleaning it up. i would take the paint off and take a look at what its like underneath there.

unless you done it then it looks good lol

sorry, man!! mine would never look that good. I am a crazy glue expert!!!

:cheers:

how much to correct it?? I have not had a striker rust off, break off ect.
Car is a clean state led life car.

other side striker pic

Attachments

• BARRACUDA DETAIL 092.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 356
I thought that was stock! Both sides of my Barracuda look like that... (LOL) they were like that when I got it.

your new toy, lol

not really. just yanking your chain.

Someone asked me my opinion and quite frankly, I am at a loss on it.
How does one break off a striker on a "new" car?

they crack in the area of the weld, a common thing, even in no rust areas. the metal in that area is thin, a manufacture flaw..........bad repair job though...I have seen a repair kit for it somewhere, good luck

I,d also take into consideration that it,s mounted about a 1/4 inch forward from it's original location.Just sayin

Yep Martin it looks like stress got to it!!! It needs to be cut out then a piece of 18 gauge welded in. bout $1000 to fix.

After a few years the door hinges wear out.Then the weight of the door is on the striker. Over time the weight is too much stress on the metal and it cracks.This is a poor attempt to fix it.You need to cut out the metal cut and replace it,adding a reinforcement plate behind the new metal is a good idea..They also sell a kit for this repair.The door hinges also need rebuilt at this time to avoid the metal cracking again.

Jim

It looks like they just layed the patch over the jamb. You could probably just grind all that sh*t off and fix the crack thats under that patch, then reinforce the back side of the striker for strength. No need to change the whole jamb.

the Mopar Muscle article is the one i was thinking of too.
fwiw, that repair, as bad as it looks, is miles better than the butchery that was on my old Dart. Don't know who did it and it REALLY looked bad, but it worked!

Martin, Are you buying that Cuda? I know a great Body/Paint guy up here that will do it right and won't take your left!! lol..

-
Back