What have I got myself in to? Denver here we come!!

-
Hey C! It has been several years since I last attended the Mopars at Thunder Mountain show, but I can tell you it is definetly worth the trip!

I have the day off tomorrow and will be getting a bunch of stuff done on the swap. I was able to put a few hours in on the car tonight after work and made some good progress. The car will be ready to go to tims shop on sunday for the transmission install and the exhaust mods. Then I can measure for the driveshaft. Pics to come in the morning!

Well shes comin along. Spent the morning installing the tti headers and all of the front bracketry. Put a set of plugs in and installed the msd wires. Gettin ready to go pick up some supplies to mount the condensor, which by the way fits real nicely. Soon as I get the condensor mounted the radiator will go in. Oh and electric fans that I am reusing from the original build. Here is some **** for you guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20120509_120631.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2,595
  • IMG_20120509_120706.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,550
  • IMG_20120509_120641.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 2,549
  • IMG_20120509_120652.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,549
Man this afternoon was productive! I got the condensor mounted, and damn it fits great! My best bud tim got the firewall plate fabbed up and installed. Now the under dash unit is completely mounted. We installed the reciever drier, factory ram replacement part. We installed the manifold hose assembly, again a factory ram piece and it fit like a glove. Only had to modify one hole in the core support to hook it to the condensor. Got the radiator and fans installed. Last thing we did was mount the ecm and called it a night. We are making amazing progress I think. Here are some pictures I took of todays progress. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_20120509_193647.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 2,513
  • IMG_20120509_193608.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2,479
  • IMG_20120509_193623.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2,484
  • IMG_20120509_193556.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2,940
Dayum, that looks awesome! :headbang: Fits like a fist in an eye. Shouldn't be too long before that baby is running. I think you're gonna meet your target. :thumleft::thumleft:

Thanks! I myself am pretty impressed with how its coming along! Still lots of things to do but I can see a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I am really surprised how well the factory truck pieces are fitting. I need to modify the line that runs from the evap to the condensor. It needs to be shortened in two places to get it to fit.

Looks great, I like the Eddy covers too! Did you consider polishing the aluminum intake? I think it would look cool, would match your valve covers. :D

Keep the pictures coming!!

Thanks gentlemen! I really would like to have the intake manifold smoothed and polished but with the time frame I am working with, it just isnt possible. Im thinking I will just buy another one from the bone yard, get it all blinged out and then just swap them out. Sure would look really nice! I love the valve covers! These were hard to find as Edelbrock discontined them. I will have many more updates for you guys as she comes along. Thanks for following the build!

Very nice, I like the black on the pulleys and block. I have all the parts to do the same swap from a 95 dakota into a 64 dart gt. Please post pics when you do the tunnel mod for the a-518 tranny.

Thanks! I wasnt sure how the black would turn out but I like it. Gonna hook up the power steering lines tonight and start laying out the harness in the engine compartment. Need to modify the battey tray as it interfers with the power steering pump. I will post pics of the transmission install sunday night for you guys.

Just a little update. The brake booster and master cylinder showed up today. I got those installed and bled. Still need to run a vaccum line to it. I also got the power steering lines hooked up. The factory 71 dart pressure line hooked right up to the magnums pump without any mods. Tomorrow morning before work I am headed to pick up the steering ujoint that I need since I switched from manual to power. After work I can get the column back in and get rested up for a long sunday lol. Goal for sunday is to get the transmission tunnel and cross member modified to work with the overdrive trans and install the trans. If all goes well, I can get the driveshaft measured up and have it built next week. Tim worked on the dash a little bit mocking up the ram's gauge cluster and figured out what needs to be done to make it fit, and also look nice. Thats about it for now. Next update to come sunday night!

Attachments

• IMG_20120511_213314.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 3,267
As promised here is the progress report from today. The transmission is offically installed! Realy wasnt that bad of a job honestly. We started with getting the trans on a jack and doing a test fit. Right away we could see where the tailshaft area was not going to fit. After looking thru the sticky in the trans forum we could see what it was going to take. Tim went at it and within a few hours the tunnel was ready to accept the new overdrive unit. Once the trans was mounted in place he continued on and modified the factory crossmember. He did an awesome job, it looks really nice. I went ahead and installed the torque convertor bolts and starter. While he was working on the trans mount I also made a lower radiator hose out of two hoses and connected them together with a piece of tubing.

Next up was getting the exhaust hooked back up. Tim decided to take the collectors that came with the tti headers and cut them off right close to the flange. He then took two pieces of 3" tubing and reconnected the headers to the existing system. This system is way over kill for what this motor will meed but will allow for future performance mods.

We then figured out what we had to do for trans cooler lines, and got that sorted out. Next we measured for the driveshaft shortening. This week I will get the shaft over to our regular place and get it cut and balanced. Well thats it for today, I am whooped. Here are some pictures from today.

Attachments

• IMG_20120513_173713.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 2,404
  • IMG_20120513_160935.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,403
  • IMG_20120513_152151.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,395
  • IMG_20120513_114133.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 2,419
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. She is definetly coming along well and on schedule. Fuel system is next on the list. I already have a 20 gallon aluminum cell in the trunk, so the plan is to modify it to accept the dodge ram fuel pump/sending unit assembly and most of the original fuel line from the truck.

Looking great and thank you for another great build to learn from and enjoy :thumleft:
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I was just cleaning up and there is your car on the front of the magazine. Very cool I hope this combo is as well put together as the last.

I heard that the Magnum PS pumps put out more pressure then the old LA ones. Any truth to that? And if so you might want to keep an eye on things in that area.

When I picked up my steering box, I explained to the guy who rebuilt it what I was doing with the swap. He explained to me that the pressure produced by the ram pump is almost exactly the same as what a 71 pump would put out, and it should work like a champ. We shall soon find out!

Tonight I spent some time cleaning up the engine harness and shortening it to compensate for the smaller engine compartment. I got it laid out and all connected up. Tomorrow night I plan on mounting the fuse/relay box on the drivers side inner fender, next to or near thr brake booster. Once that is mounted I can connect the engine harness to it, and then feed the wires thru the firewall to where they will connect to the dash harness. Its kinda cool, all plug and play for the most part.

Back when I originally put the car together I installed a tilt column that came out of a 95 jeep grand cherokee. It was a basic bolt in deal, literally. The two studs that the column hangs from are in the same position as the jeep. Just needed to swap out the base plate from the dart where it bolts to the firewall and it was in. I used a borgesson joint to connect the column to the box and a double d shaft which slid right in to the jeeps shaft. Some wiring on the ignition switch and the turn signals and we were in business.

Now being that I have that column already in the car, we are going to try to use the wiper switch to operate the wipers. Not sure if this is going to be possible but we are gonna give it a shot. The ignition wiring and turn signals will plug right in to the rams harness, just need to mate them up to the darts lighting system. Shes getting close! Im getting pretty excited at this point.

Now this is a world class thrash! I'd wish you luck, but it looks as though you don't need it and certainly did your research.

Looking forward to seeing you at Bandimere!

Thrash is right lol! Its moving along quickly, but at the same time we are doing it right and not cutting any corners. Hope to fire it up within the next week.

Just a little update on the build. As it turns out I wont be making it denver after all. Our store is in the process of moving and it just so happens that opening day is June 4th. Not only will I be missing the Mopars at Thunder Mountain, but the wedding of my cousin the day before. Not really thrillled to say the least. Guess I need to have a job right? Sucks! I WILL be making a trip to denver for the car show on July 7th and Bandimere with the car. I have tons of family and friends in the denver area and havent been back for a couple of years now. Wayyyy over due for a visit.

Anyways, we are getting really close to firing up the car now. I have spent the last couple of nights after work going thru the wiring harnesses and deleting the unnesessary wiring. Like the air bags, and emissions equipment. Not a hard job, just time consuming. The engine harness didnt need any deleting of wires, but needed to be shortened up due to the fact that the engine compartment in the ram is way bigger than the darts lol.

There are three harnesses, well four if you count the one that runs back to the fuel pump/sending unit. You have the engine harness, which has a bulkhead connector at the relay/fuse center which mounts under the hood of the ram. I relocated it to the inside of the dart and mounted it where the original fresh air vent box was. Then you have the harness that comes from the relay/fuse center that contains all of the wiring for the lighting. The last major harness is the dash harness. After removing all of the air bag related wiring I strung it under the dash and it laid out really well. Its long in a few areas, again being the darts dash isnt as large as the rams. That dash harness connects to the fuse panel that is normally located on the drivers side of the rams dash. I mounted it in the same place that the darts original fuse panel was located. As far as the wiring goes, we are pretty much down to splicing in to the darts original lighting harnesses for the front and rear, and also the wiper wiring.

Tim made some mods to the dash and built a new housing for the rams original gauge cluster and headlight switch and fitted it tonight. It needs a few tweaks here and there but it looks really cool! I took some pictures of that. Also, while dash is all apart I took the pad off and dropped it off with my interior guy. It had just a couple of small cracks starting, but I figured now is the time to have it covered being it is very accessable lol.

I was also able to hook up the shifter linkage and get it adjusted today. I was able to use the original shift lever for my B&M stealth ratchet shifter. Bolted right up and just took a little adjusting to make it work correctly. Ok, enough talk, here are a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20120519_200716.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,321
  • IMG_20120519_200723.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,316
Got a couple hours in today on the car. More wiring lol. I was able to wire in the electric fan controller and also figured out what is needed for the fuel system. I will pick up the fittings I need this week. I got the heater hoses ran in to the firewall and connected them to the heater core from inside the car. I filled it with coolant and pressure tested the system. No leaks! Lol thats always a good thing. The air conditioning is all hooked up and ready to be charged with freon. Here are some pics I took tonight after I called it a day. There is also a picture of the battery tray. The factory battery tray needed to have about two inches removed to clear the power steering pump. This meant I had to find a narrower battery that would fit in the new tray. I chose one from a 2000 honda civic. It has over 500 cranking amps which should be more than enough to crank over the 360, and it also fit like a glove.

Attachments

• IMG_20120520_200213.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 2,331
  • IMG_20120520_200243.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,297
  • IMG_20120520_200229.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,232
  • IMG_20120520_200304.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,295
-
Back