What is everyone’s opinion of wide body flares?

-
FABO members build
1700053149272.png

1700053034660.png

Do it correctly

Um, have either of you priced quarters and enough paint and material to do a set of quarters recently?

A full OE style quarter is $650, for one side. AMD discontinued the skins, and a patch doesn’t cover the whole lip. If you can find a skin from Sherman or Goodmark (out of stock most places) they’re still $250 each, and of course there will be more bodywork. The outer wheelhouses are $200 each.

Even if you did all the work yourself you could be into it a grand just in body panels, and that’s doing it on that cheap. AMD quarters and outer wheelhouses and you’re into it $1800 just in metal.

And if you think you can paint both quarters with decent paint for under $1k in materials you’d be wrong.

So yeah, even doing it all yourself you could easily be into it $2-$3k depending on how much metal and what kind of paint.
These cars are 50 plus years old and thats what it costs. 3000 is a number but its a number that shouldnt hurt that bad. Or should i say it shouldnt be a jaw dropper in 2023. Finding ways of doing it cheap is a plus but what do you end up with in the end? the OP wants to do flares, OK are you going over the rust? Cutting it out? How is he going to do it? If hes keeping the car hell have to address that if hes flipping it its someone elses decision. Its all it is decisions noone is right or wrong it comes down to what a persons vision of the finished car is. MY Dart, in the end will be nice Ill never get out of it what I have in it. I stopped keeping track of what I ve spent for that reason i dont wanna know...:)
LOL.......Back in '81, I had a buddy that cut the rear fenders of an AMC Gemlin and weld them onto a mint, southern states, 1966 Comet. Man we did some goofy **** back then.
Thats a good idea go to a yard cut some sheet metal use it for patches on something else. If you have the skill thats a low buck source of new metal.

Last edited:
That young woman with the rather large nose had a nice tattoo engraved on it... said it made her big nose look better.........not really. :BangHead: :steering:

I liked the Datsun Z cars back in teh day. Many a hippie told me they were faster than american iron...they were rust buckets though.

If flares are metal they are great. The problem with any plastic flare is they dry out and deteriorate in time.

Look at vehicles (luxury vans especially) that are 15 to 20 years old and they look terrible from add on fiberglass and plastic pieces that are falling apart.

The bottom line is it's your car and almost anything can be reversed down the road.

Tom

I have a 1971 Demon that has minor metal/paint crack with bad bondo job on rear fenders. Its going to cost me several thousands of dollars, have not committed to the idea yet but did a quick painters tape hold of what it would look like what are everyone’s thoughts. Might do all 4 with flares might not and might just drive it with messed up rear fenders until i save for few years down the line

View attachment 1716166466

View attachment 1716166467

I like them and I'm planning on the same thing for my 72 Demon in the future. Where did you get those from?

I love them. If you run a big tire. If you stick them on and run a little tire it's like sticking a magnum condom on a tiny *****.

These cars are 50 plus years old and thats what it costs. 3000 is a number but its a number that shouldnt hurt that bad. Or should i say it shouldnt be a jaw dropper in 2023. Finding ways of doing it cheap is a plus but what do you end up with in the end? the OP wants to do flares, OK are you going over the rust? Cutting it out? How is he going to do it? If hes keeping the car hell have to address that if hes flipping it its someone elses decision. Its all it is decisions noone is right or wrong it comes down to what a persons vision of the finished car is. MY Dart, in the end will be nice Ill never get out of it what I have in it. I stopped keeping track of what I ve spent for that reason i dont wanna know...:)

Thats a good idea go to a yard cut some sheet metal use it for patches on something else. If you have the skill thats a low buck source of new metal.

What? You're the one that said he wasn't doing his own work if it cost "thousands" to fix the problem he's got with his car. Remember, you said this...
Thousands of dollars? for what quarter skins trunk extensions and possible patches in the wheelhouses? You guys arent paying people to do your body work are you...? AAARREE YOOOOUUUU? :)

Which is utter horse crap. Quarter skins, trunk extensions, and some "patches" in the wheelhouses, PLUS paint, will likely cost a couple thousand just in metal and materials even if there isn't much more damage than what the slabbed on bondo is directly over the top of. If there is more, which there probably is if the bondo is that thick all the way up at the quarter lip, then it's quarters and wheelhouses and extensions, and the metal alone will cost $2k+, plus paint, so yeah, exactly the "several thousand dollars" the OP was talking about even if he does it himself.

The OP said right in his first post he was looking for a temporary solution while he saves up for the real fix. The OP never said he was surprised about the cost to fix the car, just said he couldn't do it now. You're the one that implied a repair costing "thousands of dollars" was the OP paying someone. Really, the only way that job gets done for "several thousand dollars" is if the OP does it himself. No shop worth a crap would even consider doing that repair for a few grand.

Got to see this car in person recently, didn't realize he is a member here.

Pushrod rear suspension, correct? Link?

Really nice car. Very well done, in my opinion.

Yeah, would love to see more info on that build!

I dunno, If you do them right, you can have something that um... stands out.

1700107776750.png

1700107800400.png

So did my '74 304 Gremlin!
True! The Gremlin is actually a Hornet with the *** end cut off!!!!!
I was at an ole time Tx/ boneyard last week. what ? one of two still in all of Tx!??) There was a "RoadKill" type Gremmie there with a 401 FI and a stick and fat tires in the back and mags all the way around. Not sur if the yard owner or worker owns it. I should have had the wife shoot a pic with her cell. She knows how to do that ya know!!!!!

Do up a car like this with flares and it would work if that's your thing. But if you just put them on a mostly stock or just slightly modified body, it'll look goofy. It's basically an all or nothing thing in my opinion.

7e8cd317178f22bbe9b16e0f3480d503ec962208.jpg

-
Back