What is wrong with this picture?

-
Yep, I have, for others. But for myself? Ah, ha, ha, ha, he, he, he, oh, ho, ho, ho...........
Darn. Was about to crate this 440 up and ship it to you if you'd changed your mind lol

The valve head didn't make it all the way to Mr. oil pan like the piston.

Those chunks? They did come through the crack. Before the head was pulled you could see the cam and lifters through the exhaust port.

This is sorta what happens if you put big valves in a 915 head, put them on a 361 block, and don't check carefully enough to see if the valves are going to hit the cylinder walls. There were divots at the tops of the deck of every bore where the valves were hitting.

I'm trying to remember correctly but it seems like it was still making well over 500 HP when it let go.

I've always wondered about that if you put magnum heads on a 273. It was discussed in the Mopar Performance book. Did any of the other valves appear close to failure? I'm amazed it was exhaust and not intakes hitting.

The valve head didn't make it all the way to Mr. oil pan like the piston.

Those chunks? They did come through the crack. Before the head was pulled you could see the cam and lifters through the exhaust port.

This is sorta what happens if you put big valves in a 915 head, put them on a 361 block, and don't check carefully enough to see if the valves are going to hit the cylinder walls. There were divots at the tops of the deck of every bore where the valves were hitting.

I'm trying to remember correctly but it seems like it was still making well over 500 HP when it let go.
Well, if only it'd been a tall-deck truck 361, it may have never started in the first place!!!

The valve head? They found it down in that hole into the water jacket.

View attachment 1715138118

There wasn't any cylinder wall remaining on the cam valley side of the engine.
View attachment 1715138119
Wow !!! Never in my years of running Mopars have I ever seen anything like this.. Looks as if the cylinder walls were bored out past .060 which at this is really pushing it.

Last edited:
-
Back