What makes mopar guy different?

-
Demoman 3955, good output and very well said.

Let me just say, Grants Pass is way different than Medford

well i moved from medford to grants pass and was there for about 6 years off upper river road. i have about 5 years before i retire and im moving back to grants pass. i went to north medford high and raced at the circle track and derbyed many mopar at that track...lol

Here's my two cents,
I'm 54 and didn't get my 1st car till I was 22, it was a 66 Charger w/361ci. I've been hooked on Mopars ever since. Since 99% of the people out there couldn't give a rats *** about an old car its not easy meeting people that share the passion for old classics let alone an old Mopar. Of the handful of carguy friends I've had thru the years they were mostly Chevy guys and one Ford guy. Kinda sad but come to think of it I've never had a friend that was into Mopars. I buy these old Mopars cause I love em and yes I drive the **** outta em, never entered a carshow in my life but have seen a fair amount of track time w/ my 69 Cuda 440ci and my 64 Valiant 383ci. Even at the track here in Texas there are hardly any Mopars and the few Mopar guys there are seem disinterested.. Just bought a 65 Cuda kinda like a birthday midlife crisis deal and though its gonna need some work, I'm already driving the **** outta it. Mostly get these looks like "oh that poor loser having to drive that old car around" My ol'lady could give a **** about an old car and in reality it sure would be nice to have some local Mopar friends that share the passion. Working on stuff yourself gets a little old sometimes and at times it hard to stay motivated.

Where the hell are ya NORTH TEXAS MOPAR PEOPLE !!!

Think they heard me?

Maybe I oughta start a North Texas Mopar thread to see who's out there. I've seen the NOR CAL one and its huge, kinda wish I lived up there. Oh by the way, my new 65 just came from NOR CAL, go figure.

I'ma Mopar guy in North Texas!

Great question. Got my license to drive in 75. Ive owned Fords, Pontiacs, Chevrolets and Plymouth and Dodge. I never was a fan of car shows and I go to only a few each year only because it is something I do to spend time with my dad. Now dad is an oldtimer that appreciates all cars. He spent his life as a mechanic so he has stories for every car we see. When I do go to shows I have noticed that many mopar guys/gals are not very talkative and seem to have a chip on their shoulder but if you try chatting they warm up pretty quick. They seem to love to talk about their cars but dont want to hear about any other makes of cars. Once you realize that, you learn to not bring anything else up. Now as far as that attitude only being in the mopar crowd thats where you are totally wrong. I personally have a 72 vette that I did a resto-mod to. I travel to an all vette car show each year in OC Md. If you want to find a snobby experience visit that one. Those that have the newer (2000 and up) will snob you quicker than anyone and most of them dont know the first thing about the internals of any car or engine. But if you find the 68-82 year owners they are very nice to talk to. I currently am working on a 66 Dart because I had one earlier in my life and always wanted another one. Would like to find a 70 cuda like i had when I when 17 but the collectors have put that way to far out of reach.
As a wrap up to my post dont be to hard on the mopar people they are no different then the chevy and ford owners. And at every car show you can find they guy leaving in any car that feels they have to do the goodbye burnout.
Rod

Around where I live, most of the Mopar people are really great people. Of course there are the jerks in the pack. It's the same with all brands. Once had a guy buy an air cleaner from us at a Mopar swap meet. He said he needed it for his truck, so he got a fairly good deal. I walked a few vendors over, and it was for sell with the price marked up. It didn't make me mad. I kinda laughed at it. People like that are everywhere. It's just a part of making a profit.

The Mopar people are different to me in my opinion because they've always felt like they were the underdog. I love seeing the guys that drive in with the vehicle that they worked on for so long to enjoy. I just turn the other way when the numbers matching Challenger rolls out of the covered trailer. Trust me, if my Dart won't drive to the show then it's not worth my time. I don't care about trophies. Just sitting around and enjoying other car peoples' company is what I look forward to. I get with a bunch of friends and just walk around and talk about what we think is cool and mostly day dream about that project we want to work on. Unfortunately I have no Mopar friends my age, but it's probably a good thing.

All in all I say that Mopar people in my area are great. I love hearing their stories, but I'm sure there are plenty of the snobs out there wiping down their Challenger that they just drove straight from the lot. Once again, I'll turn the other way and walk straight to the old Dart with the Cragars and fat tires.

Same here in San Antonio. I am the only Duster I have seen. I've seen one roadrunner and one or two darts. People at the little meets I go to are like wth is this?!

There are a few who know and love mopar.

Oh and a Demon on drag radials. Tons of chevelles, mustangs, even a maverick. -_-

Most mopar I see are new Challengers.

I've never even seen The Sopranos.
I only found out they used it when I looked up the song to post.
Does this sum it up?

And I'm using the original.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HGd4kQBW8DM[/ame]

my opinion. its been ripening since I got my liscense in '64.:
mopar has always been the underdog, the brand with lower sales figures. back when these cars starting having their popularity rebRith in the late 80's, there were virtually NO repo parts. o k ya could get carpet , and still a few parts availability thru ma mopar. moopar fans had TO HELP EACH OTHER WITH THEIR CAR PROJECTS.
MOPAR GUYS TEND TO BE A LITTLE MORE RABID IN THIER CONVICTION OF THIER CARS. SOMETIMES THIS IS GOOD, SOMETIMES MAYBE NOT!!???
THEY TEND , AS A WHOLE, HAVE LITTLE USE OF BRAND X AND Y, BUT WE WOULD PROBABLY LEARN TO LOVE A FEW IF WE COULD GET SIDELINED OFF THE MOPES LONG ENOUGH, MY OPINION...
REMEMBER US OLDER MOpar GUYS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND AWHILE, WE LIKE TO HELP PEOPLE, BUT LIFE HAS TOUGHT US THAT PEOPLE NEED TO PROVE THEIR WORTHINESS OF BEING HELPED. ( I HAVE FEIND THAT HAS HELPED COUNTLESS PEOPLE WITH THEIR MOPAR PARTS, HE'S LEANRED THAT SOME APRRECIATE HIS HELP, OTHERS JUST FIGURE HE'S A SENILE OLD FART, AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN SCREW HIM OUT OF!!??)lol
GO TO AN "ALL" MOPAR EVENT. A BIG ONE LIKE THE NATS AND SEVERAL OTHER LARGE ONES, (YEA THEY ARE ALL EAST),,, THERE YOU WILL SEE ALL THE FRAGMENTS OF THE HOBBY: THE TRUE HOTRODDER, THE DRAG RACER, BOTH THE GUY THAT DROVE HIS RACE CAR 100 MI TO THE TRACK, AND THE GUY THAT PULLS UP IN HIS RIG, PETERBUILT AND ALL!. THE CONCOURS SHOW CAR GUY, THE GUY THAT DRIVES HIS CAR THERE AND PARKS IN THE GENERAL SHOW FIELD, THE PRO SWAPPER, THE WANNA BE SWAPPER ( HE THINKS ANY OLD WOREOUT ALTERNATOR MUST BE VALUABLE!!??), THE GUY THAT PAYS HIS MOTEL BILL SELLING OFF A FEW GOOD PARTS AT THE SWAP, THE GUY THAT LOVES ALL MOPARS AND THEIR OWNERS, THE SNOB THAT FIGURES HIS CAR IS BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE'S, THE GUY THAT DID ALL THE WORK ON HIS CAR AND IS JUST A PROUD POPPA, THE RICH MAN THAT TRULY LOVES THE HOBBY, THE RICH MAN THATS THE BIGGEST JERK IN THE WORLD, THE LITTLE GUY THAT LOVES ALL THINGS MOPAR, THAT DRIVES ALL NIGHT AFTER WORK TO GET THERE, SLEEPS IN THE BACK OF HIS PICKUP, SAVED $$ FOR 9 MO TO GO THERE, STAYS UP 20 HOURS A DAY TO TAKE IT ALL IN.... THE NON PRO FLIPPER , HE KNOWS WHAT A CAR IS WORTH, BUYS AND SELLS SOME TO PAY FOR THE COST OF RESTORING HIS OWN CAR, THE PRO FLIIPER, HE MAKES A LIVING BUYIN AND SELLING ,
AND THE LIST GOES ON....
THEN YOU HAVE ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE, JUST LIKE GOING ANYWHERE...
SO TO JUDGE THE TRUE MOPAR PERSON, DRIVE TO COLUMBUS, CARLISLE, THE BIG ALL MOPAR EVENTS, SPEND 3 DAYS THERE, KEEP YOU EYES AND EARS OPEN, YOU WILL SEEL IT ALL.. YOU WILL MAKE FRIENDS FOR LIFE ,ALSO , MEETS SOME JERKS,...... SOMEONE MAY BUY A part OFF YA AND MAKE A $5 PROFIT OR HAUL IT HOME AND REALIZE IT AIN'T WORTH WHAT HE THOUGHT!?? SEE ALL MOPARS, BIG AND LITTLE, GRAND AND TUR--, YA GET THE PIC.... BUT IT AIN'T CHEAP TRAVELING THERE FROM WAY OFF..... BUT WORTH THE EXPERIENCE....
JUDGING THE HOBBY BY ATTENDING THE LOCAL " CAR SHOW" DOESN'T GIVE YOU ANY REAL PICTURE OF WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT....
OR IF YA CAN'T MAKE THE BIG TRIP, TRAVEL THE DISTANC E TO ATTEND A LOCAL "ALL MOPAR" EVENT, YOU WILL SEE SOME OF THAT BUT ON A SMALLER SCALE....... JUST ME.....

Here's my two cents,
I'm 54 and didn't get my 1st car till I was 22, it was a 66 Charger w/361ci. I've been hooked on Mopars ever since. Since 99% of the people out there couldn't give a rats *** about an old car its not easy meeting people that share the passion for old classics let alone an old Mopar. Of the handful of carguy friends I've had thru the years they were mostly Chevy guys and one Ford guy. Kinda sad but come to think of it I've never had a friend that was into Mopars. I buy these old Mopars cause I love em and yes I drive the **** outta em, never entered a carshow in my life but have seen a fair amount of track time w/ my 69 Cuda 440ci and my 64 Valiant 383ci. Even at the track here in Texas there are hardly any Mopars and the few Mopar guys there are seem disinterested.. Just bought a 65 Cuda kinda like a birthday midlife crisis deal and though its gonna need some work, I'm already driving the **** outta it. Mostly get these looks like "oh that poor loser having to drive that old car around" My ol'lady could give a **** about an old car and in reality it sure would be nice to have some local Mopar friends that share the passion. Working on stuff yourself gets a little old sometimes and at times it hard to stay motivated.

Where the hell are ya NORTH TEXAS MOPAR PEOPLE !!!

Think they heard me?

Maybe I oughta start a North Texas Mopar thread to see who's out there. I've seen the NOR CAL one and its huge, kinda wish I lived up there. Oh by the way, my new 65 just came from NOR CAL, go figure.
You DON'T want to go from TX to CA. I'm moving from CA to TX in a couple years.
For the OP question; we're just different in that we don't want to be like everyone else. Look at how many Mustangs there are. I cannot figure out why anyone would want one for the simple reason of everyone else has one. I like Ford, but would never have a Mustang…not because they are junk, but because I don't want to drive the most common American car on the road, whether it's old or new.

mopar has always been the underdog, the brand with lower sales figures. back when these cars starting having their popularity rebRith in the late 80's, there were virtually NO repo parts. o k ya could get carpet , and still a few parts availability thru ma mopar. moopar fans had TO HELP EACH OTHER WITH THEIR CAR PROJECTS.
MOPAR GUYS TEND TO BE A LITTLE MORE RABID IN THIER CONVICTION OF THIER CARS. SOMETIMES THIS IS GOOD, SOMETIMES MAYBE NOT!!???
THEY TEND , AS A WHOLE, HAVE LITTLE USE OF BRAND X AND Y, BUT WE WOULD PROBABLY LEARN TO LOVE A FEW IF WE COULD GET SIDELINED OFF THE MOPES LONG ENOUGH, MY OPINION...
REMEMBER US OLDER MOpar GUYS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND AWHILE, WE LIKE TO HELP PEOPLE, BUT LIFE HAS TOUGHT US THAT PEOPLE NEED TO PROVE THEIR WORTHINESS OF BEING HELPED. ( I HAVE FEIND THAT HAS HELPED COUNTLESS PEOPLE WITH THEIR MOPAR PARTS, HE'S LEANRED THAT SOME APRRECIATE HIS HELP, OTHERS JUST FIGURE HE'S A SENILE OLD FART, AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN SCREW HIM OUT OF!!??)lol
GO TO AN "ALL" MOPAR EVENT. A BIG ONE LIKE THE NATS AND SEVERAL OTHER LARGE ONES, (YEA THEY ARE ALL EAST),,, THERE YOU WILL SEE ALL THE FRAGMENTS OF THE HOBBY: THE TRUE HOTRODDER, THE DRAG RACER, BOTH THE GUY THAT DROVE HIS RACE CAR 100 MI TO THE TRACK, AND THE GUY THAT PULLS UP IN HIS RIG, PETERBUILT AND ALL!. THE CONCOURS SHOW CAR GUY, THE GUY THAT DRIVES HIS CAR THERE AND PARKS IN THE GENERAL SHOW FIELD, THE PRO SWAPPER, THE WANNA BE SWAPPER ( HE THINKS ANY OLD WOREOUT ALTERNATOR MUST BE VALUABLE!!??), THE GUY THAT PAYS HIS MOTEL BILL SELLING OFF A FEW GOOD PARTS AT THE SWAP, THE GUY THAT LOVES ALL MOPARS AND THEIR OWNERS, THE SNOB THAT FIGURES HIS CAR IS BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE'S, THE GUY THAT DID ALL THE WORK ON HIS CAR AND IS JUST A PROUD POPPA, THE RICH MAN THAT TRULY LOVES THE HOBBY, THE RICH MAN THATS THE BIGGEST JERK IN THE WORLD, THE LITTLE GUY THAT LOVES ALL THINGS MOPAR, THAT DRIVES ALL NIGHT AFTER WORK TO GET THERE, SLEEPS IN THE BACK OF HIS PICKUP, SAVED $$ FOR 9 MO TO GO THERE, STAYS UP 20 HOURS A DAY TO TAKE IT ALL IN.... THE NON PRO FLIPPER , HE KNOWS WHAT A CAR IS WORTH, BUYS AND SELLS SOME TO PAY FOR THE COST OF RESTORING HIS OWN CAR, THE PRO FLIIPER, HE MAKES A LIVING BUYIN AND SELLING ,
AND THE LIST GOES ON....
SO TO JUDGE THE TRUE MOPAR PERSON, DRIVE TO COLUMBUS, CARLISLE, THE BIG ALL MOPAR EVENTS, SPEND 3 DAYS THERE, KEEP YOU EYES AND EARS OPEN, YOU WILL SEEL IT ALL.. YOU WILL MAKE FRIENDS FOR LIFE ,ALSO , MEETS SOME JERKS,...... SOMEONE MAY BUY A part OFF YA AND MAKE A $5 PROFIT OR HAUL IT HOME AND REALIZE IT AIN'T WORTH WHAT HE THOUGHT!?? SEE ALL MOPARS, BIG AND LITTLE, GRAND AND TUR--, YA GET THE PIC.... BUT IT AIN'T CHEAP TRAVELING THERE FROM WAY OFF..... BUT WORTH THE EXPERIENCE....
JUDGING THE HOBBY BY ATTENDING THE LOCAL " CAR SHOW" DOESN'T GIVE YOU ANY REAL PICTURE OF WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT....
OR IF YA CAN'T MAKE THE BIG TRIP, TRAVEL THE DISTANC E TO ATTEND A LOCAL "ALL MOPAR" EVENT, YOU WILL SEE SOME OF THAT BUT ON A SMALLER SCALE....... JUST ME.....

no offense but i couldnt even read this turn off your caps lock it makes it really hard to read:banghead:

sorry udust81, sorry bout that, me, I have hard time reading the small letters.
I've bout figured out by now I just keep my comments to myself.......

i dont know about everyone else but all the mopar guys ive met in person were real jerks. whether theyre know-it-alls or hyperjudgemental. most of the time im treated like i couldnt possibly know anything about mopars and im not worth their time to talk about their car. ive rarely met a mopar guy who i legitimately would try to seek out again. idk maybe it is the checkbook guys ruining it or something. either way i dont love the fans i just love the cars.

Same here. Almost all the guys from here have been real nice but the guys I've talked to at shows are always jerks. I was walking through a swap meet one time and asked this guy if he wanted to trade center caps. He looked at me like I was an idiot and told me to quit wasting his time. I was like "Well, this is a SWAP MEET, isn't it?". Apparently sitting on a lawn chair while watching over your rusted junk with no one else around is really time consuming and you can't have the likes of me there trying to trade parts when there are so many sales to be had.

Even my Chevy and Ford buddies always comment about how Mopar guys all act like they're elite know-it-all's. For the most part, they're right.

Don't keep your comments to yourself :) I would recommend writing in Word or another typing app with a bigger font then shrinking it down and posting :) Your opinion matters just as much as anyone elses, so don't short yourself.

And I concur with the thought that the Mopar community has got to the nicest group of people I have had the pleasure of mingling with. The majority of them go out of their way to make you feel right home. Gives you hope in humanity...

And also, I would like to add we are the only group of people who will automatically pay $100 more per part than a Cheby guy for the love of our vehicles.

So what I'm saying is, we are a bunch of crazy people who are really nice to each other.

AND THE LIST GOES ON....

I have been going to the nats for five years now. I understand the passion but why don't you see many mopars and big general shows.

Also why do you never see guys doing Burnouts and beating on their fords and Chevys?

I've forgot most of what I knew, and what I do still remember, i'll just keep to myelf or share with my friends that don't mind my computer stupidity.......

Same here. Almost all the guys from here have been real nice but the guys I've talked to at shows are always jerks. I was walking through a swap meet one time and asked this guy if he wanted to trade center caps. He looked at me like I was an idiot and told me to quit wasting his time. I was like "Well, this is a SWAP MEET, isn't it?". Apparently sitting on a lawn chair while watching over your rusted junk with no one else around is really time consuming and you can't have the likes of me there trying to trade parts when there are so many sales to be had.

Even my Chevy and Ford buddies always comment about how Mopar guys all act like they're elite know-it-all's. For the most part, they're right.

That's ridiculous! Sorry you run into people like that where you are. The sad thing is swap meets seem to be about money now, not actually swapping anything :| And we know what kind of people <3 their $$$...assholes.

Come over to my house, I don't have the nicest cars, but I will share a case of beer and listen to your stories as I'm too young to have any about my own cars at this point. :p As long as you don't mind my little ones pestering you with questions :)

I've forgot most of what I knew, and what I do still remember, i'll just keep to myelf or share with my friends that don't mind my computer stupidity.......

Hey Barbee, don't sweat it. I often find that I post things in bold text because my eyesight is starting to suck. I also try to break up long passages into shorter ones because it's easier for me to read. I've got the feeling that there's a lot of folks on here that passed puberty a long time ago.

This site isn't a forum devoted to computer knowledge. I'm 57 and I've got a bunch of friends that are younger than me that are computer illiterate. - And I know guys older than me that make me feel like a chump on the keyboard.

Another observation I've got about the Mopar crowd is that in my experiences we're often older than the brand Xers.

You sound like a very knowledgeable person and have a lot to share. Not everyone is good on a computer. I read what you had to say and the fact that it was done in caps, didn't bother me. A lot of the younger guys, forget that we older guys didn't grow up with a computer. As 1967 'cuda, said Don't sweat it.

That's ridiculous! Sorry you run into people like that where you are. The sad thing is swap meets seem to be about money now, not actually swapping anything :| And we know what kind of people <3 their $$$...assholes.

Come over to my house, I don't have the nicest cars, but I will share a case of beer and listen to your stories as I'm too young to have any about my own cars at this point. :p As long as you don't mind my little ones pestering you with questions :)

Yeah greed is a terrible thing. I shake my head at the guys who nickel and dime each other to death. Making sure the buyer pays for the 3% paypal fee on a $25 part is a little ridiculous. That dollar isn't going to change your life in anyway and you can't take it with you when you go, so I don't see the point in worrying about it.

I'm in my late 20's so I don't really have any good stories either to be honest. I can share stories about how if there's two ways to put something on a car and only one way is right, I'll always put it on the wrong way first and end up taking everything apart and doing it all over again lol.

These young guys need your smarts. Computers are stupid. You had some good points that were clear, if one would take the time to listen to what you were trying to say. You can type in caps all you want. I'm an engineer, we have to write that way.

What makes a Mopar guy different?
They are the ones that typically have more than 3 cars and enough spare parts to build 2 more. usually they have no more than one running/ driving vehicle at a time.

so true "breakstuff". s o I comment again. I havn't made comments that any of the guys that have been n this hobby many years don't know, but now I find there are many young guys ( people under 50???) that weren't there, true they have some valid observations and opinions, but maybe they would like to hear from some of us that were there??? maybe not... perhaps what we experienced first hand isn't relivant.
hey, I appreciate ford and old stangs. back in my college days (1966 thru???) the fastest car in s ga was a 65 289 4 speed stang, he shifted without a tatck ( by ear). ran it for $100 per race, rarely beat by ANYONE. o k so it had a Shelby motor.....
new paragraph: perhaps the over 50 crowd needs their own site to comment on??
I read this forum because I enjoy learning, and that is usually a never ending deal for most of us that are honest.
Jeff Foxworthy ( southern comedian??) was a mopar guy. he asked " how do ya tell a mopar guy????? answer: he moved the grass round his MOBILE home and found three cars sitting on cinder blocks he forget he had?????"
my house is made out of a friggin barn!!

im not trying to be a dick. just like how its hard for you to see small letters its hard for me to read in all caps

Easy enough to fix. Instead of going into the "quick reply" window, click on the "add reply" and the bottom of the last post. That'll allow you change sizes of the font.

size 4

size 5

size 6

size 7

...and see i love hearing about the "old times" makes me wish i was there. but unfortunatly most of the older guys just see someone my age and assume i cant appreciate anything because im just a dumb snotnosed kid that doesnt care what they have to say. so before i say a word they judge me and decide im not worthy or willing to hear their knowledge. thats the real problem i experience at any show. hell i didnt show up in a honda for christs sake i just want to hear about mopars and learn what i can. but what do i know? i wasnt there so im not worth anyones time.

and btw computers are great. i was born in a chevy household, if not for computers i wouldve never learned much about mopars, and probably wouldnt care about them either and id be building a chevy like everyone else.

-
Back