What oil has zinc now?

-
Well, I had an '88 onmi, went to 178Kmiles with it. I have the same maintenance work as my current Neon. I hate oil changes. typically, my current car gets 24K miles a year on it, and I drive them rather hard. I run whatever oil i have on the shelf (usually15/40 CQ), a wix filter, and change it once a year or so. Neon now has 140K and I average 31mpg with cruising at 85mph on the higway. I've gotten as high as 36 being careful. I despise oil changes.

Hey Shelby...to give you an idea, I have a customer who has 220,000 miles on his 2004 S-15 Sonoma 4 banger. Ever since it had 10,000 miles on the odometer he has run Amsoil, and he only changes it every 20-25K, depending when he has time. He also uses the dual filter BMK kit, and loves it.

I run it in my Dakota 4.7 with a bypass kit and change it every 20,000 and it doesn't use a single drop.
Thanks for the info. I guess their stuff is as good as they claim. I know that my solid lifters quieted down a little on startup when I switched to their 20W-50 racing oil.

I've always used Valvoline oils. A while back I got on Valvoline's website and asked about the zinc deal. If I remember right the VR1 has 1300 ppm and the regular racing oil-the not legal for street use has 1400ppm which is what the old oils had in them I believe. Either one should be safe to use. It was $3.99 a quart at the time.

I think the vr1 has 1200/1300 so thats most likey the one i will be running after break in with JOE GIBBS

I've also used Valvoline oil in all my rigs,since '71. I'm useing VR1,and the Comp Cams additive. Cheap ins.

The Oriental motorcycle manufacturers all have oils made for them, that contain zinc in the levels needed, to keep their transmissions alive. I haven't done any investigation but, I'd imagine I'll use Honda oil in my new engine, when we git 'er done!

I love my Rotella T 15W-40 or you can get synthetic 5W-40. My '71 Honda Cb750 (its a bike) loves the 15-40, no problems even with the wet clutch after over 13,000 miles since the rebuild.

Here is what the engine builder recommended for an additive. Funny how it's been 3 months since I thought the start-up was ready....lol....time flies when you're having fun I guess......

Oil Zinc Additive 002 (Small).jpg

all this ZDDP talk is spining my head,,dont know what or who to believe,,

i called valvoline,and talked with them,,,they told me the normal VR-1 has 1300 ppm,,they also told me,, the VR-1 marked off road,not street legal, is formlated for racing,,,500 miles max,then it starts to break down,,they tolsd me the regular VR-1 has plenty of ZDDP,,, but im going to look in to a additive,,which i have never believed in,,,

and from what i have read,,i have a dodge pick up with a cummins diesel,,so i read some of the diesel info,,as of 2007 goverment mandate,,new formulated diesel fuel,,ULSD,, ultra low sulfur diesel,, is now what at the pumps,,,emmissions,oder,,ETC,, so the diesela has been reformulated also,,less ZDDP,, because of the particulit filters, so from what i read the shell rotella T you now buy in the stores,,has less ZDDP but i dont know how much les or how much is in that oil these days,,,

im trying to stay away from the synthic oils,,to many horror stories about leakage using that oil,,,

any new info ??? whats every one using??

all this ZDDP talk is spining my head,,dont know what or who to believe,,

i called valvoline,and talked with them,,,they told me the normal VR-1 has 1300 ppm,,they also told me,, the VR-1 marked off road,not street legal, is formlated for racing,,,500 miles max,then it starts to break down,,they tolsd me the regular VR-1 has plenty of ZDDP,,, but im going to look in to a additive,,which i have never believed in,,,

and from what i have read,,i have a dodge pick up with a cummins diesel,,so i read some of the diesel info,,as of 2007 goverment mandate,,new formulated diesel fuel,,ULSD,, ultra low sulfur diesel,, is now what at the pumps,,,emmissions,oder,,ETC,, so the diesela has been reformulated also,,less ZDDP,, because of the particulit filters, so from what i read the shell rotella T you now buy in the stores,,has less ZDDP but i dont know how much les or how much is in that oil these days,,,

im trying to stay away from the synthic oils,,to many horror stories about leakage using that oil,,,

any new info ??? whats every one using??
I found Amsoil to be the most up front about what is in their products. They have "Premium Protection" oils that are specifically for flat tappet engines and have zinc concentrations in the 1320-1370ppm range and plenty of phosphorus as well. They also have a new line of racing oils that have an additional additive package that greatly reduces friction. When I started using their racing oil it actually quieted down my solid lifters a little bit. I use their "extended change interval" 0W-30 in my wife's neon. They claim it can go as far as 25,000 miles or one year. I figured that was a little optomistic so I kept an eye on it starting at 5,000. That oil has 16,000 miles on it now and it still looks, smells, and feels the same as it did with 3,000 miles on it. I no longer use anyone else's stuff.

they also told me,, the VR-1 marked off road,not street legal, is formlated for racing,,,500 miles max,then it starts to break down

Well I might as well chuck out that idea... that's the route I was going to take on my next oil change. Glad you informed me!

I drove a 383 big block from 88-04 and had no problems with my cam using regular oil 10-40. And I mean I drove the hell out of it. I didn't know that cams need zinc back then. But I didn't have any problems. ??

Motorhead Oil is specifically designed for this problem and comes as a blended oil or a super-concentrated additive that you can simply add to your favorite brand of oil. They even have an Ebay store now.

An update on the Amsoil:

Amsoil now sells it's non-Dominator Series 10W-40 with a high zinc additive package specifically for flat tappet engines. The down side is that the oil is only specified to be used for 15,000 miles (versus their normal 25,000). I think this is due to the zinc breaking down faster. This doesn't really matter, because I only put a few thousand a year on the Dart, and I always change my oil at least once a year.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx

amo_qt_300pxh.jpg

I would like to have a oil that I can buy like at NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, WalMart etc... and not have to pay for shipping like Amsoil, Schaeffers oil, Motorhead Oil, etc...

Or am I just flat out not going to get good oil without paying shipping?

What I have in my car now is Valvoline ZR-1 20W-50 Racing oil (the one without the "for race us only" on front of the bottle) and a bottle of ZDCP stuff that I got from Year One. I have almost $40 tied up in oil and additive ($10 for shipment of the additive) for petes sake! I don't mind paying a little extra for protection of my motor and understand fully the reason I must have zinc in the oil but seems to me with all the technology of today you could at least walk into your local WalMart and take a case of high zinc oil home made just for us old car guys!

I would like to have a oil that I can buy like at NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, WalMart etc... and not have to pay for shipping like Amsoil, Schaeffers oil, Motorhead Oil, etc...

What I have in my car now is Valvoline ZR-1 20W-50 Racing oil (the one without the "for race us only" on front of the bottle) and a bottle of ZDCP stuff that I got from Year One. I have almost $40 tied up in oil and additive ($10 for shipment of the additive) for petes sake! I don't mind paying a little extra for protection of my motor and understand fully the reason I must have zinc in the oil but seems to me with all the technology of today you could at least walk into your local WalMart and take a case of high zinc oil home made just for us old car guys!

Probably the same reason most Wal marts won't sell guns anymore because of the wussification of America.Why would they care about us mean, evil polluting car guys?

Probably the same reason most Wal marts won't sell guns anymore because of the wussification of America.Why would they care about us mean, evil polluting car guys?

I know what you mean. I guess should have said Walmart, Advance, NAPA, etc... in the later part of my post.

I mean from my understanding I can't get the oil that I need for my car in my town at all... I have to order it! :angry7:

Amsoil is sold in some strores around here.

-
Back