What rear suspension is this?

-
look like lakewood slapper bars of the universal fitmnet variety
installed too far back

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/p/lakewood-20470-universal-traction-bar-chrome~p74678266/

replace the front snubber with a Abody lower arm snubber which is shorter and less likley to snap off.

move em forwards so they hit the spring eye
use something to space them down at the rear mounting point...1/2 -1 inch inch of steel plate with holes for the U bolt
so that the bar is parallel with the ground

i'm presueming your's use the the squred off U bolt universal mounting rather than the bolt to the lower shock plate mounting.

and they will work more or less as intended

if you get good springs and a pinion snubber you can achive much the same and its probably the proper way to do things

if you have crap springs and no adjustable pinion snubber these will help.

lots of people hate them but they do actually kinda work. if you have enough power to wrap your springs into a vague S shape putting these on tends to stop that and the associated wheel hop.

at its most basic its a band aid to allow a bit of track action in a street car

Dave

Last edited:
These are his pictures lightened up to see. If you keep the slapper bars they need to be longer to hit the leaf spring front Eye like in picture 1.

The rear shackels are NOT as long as some of the old "Cal-Custom" ones. Maybe 1.25 to 1.50 inch longer.

FABO1.jpeg

FABO2.jpeg

I had just put +1 ESPO springs on a 74 Dart I’m now selling. Decided to pull those and swap them for these leafs and shocks. Bought some QA1 adjustables a
for the new one too. Smooth as butter now!

I can confirm broken/tore up/shredded upper shock mounts due to air shocks on four California Desert cars... One of them I still own but I replaced the shock crossmember 30 years ago....

But I've also worked on hundreds of Mopars that had Air Shocks on them that the crossmember was still perfect...

probly depends on how much they are aired up and for how long , and what load is on them...

There's nothing wrong with air shocks as long as they're used correctly. I made the comment I did earlier about them, because in THIS particular situation, they're a bad idea. I love how people come along and disagree with no explanation or nothing to explain why. But hey, we're used to that, right?

-
Back