What size engine for the online/Youtube EC?

What size engine should the Online/Youtube Engine Challenge be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
You will probably lose a couple guys on the offset grinding of cranks being allowed as that is indeed a big benefit that most guys paying to have it done can’t afford ( advantage machine shop guys)

2. Mushroom lifters again a BIG advantage but most simply do it yourself type guys Dont have a set since they are no longer available.

That’s workable but I’m not understanding the displacement rule exactly.

The rules say 360 block and a 3.58 stroke with up to a .040 offset.

Then it says a bit later any displacement is allowed because of how the results are calculated.

If thats the case, why not allow a 340 block that’s not an X/R/Ritter?

Also, I didn’t see if there was an RPM limit or if the results are calculated from a low RPM to a high RPM determined by the rules ie. 2500-6500 and calculate the results.

Or can you run the RPM up as high as your gut will let you??

Depending on the rules, you could do a two step challenge. For example:

Step 1 360
Step 2 same 360 stroked to 408 (perhaps some head/cam mods to account for the increased displacement.

I think this is pretty cool but I have a couple of questions.

What if I don’t want to run a 3.58 stroke? Am I married to that or can I use LESS stroke? What if I don’t want that much stroke?

What about if I want to use a 340 block?

How about a displacement limit? Say 380 inches. That gives a builder some room to get what he wants for geometry.

I’m assuming production means iron. Why not pick a head like the Speed Master because it’s cheap? You’d still have the option to use a production head if the builder thinks that’s the best option.
I like the Speed Master Cylinder Head suggestion allot. It is a baseline upgrade option besides magnums, rare W2's (good luck finding afffordable rockers), rare RHS's, and the latest out of production heads: Engine Quests.

My 2 cents would be....

1. Any production based small block ( 273,318,340,360 )
2. Any non offset rocker aftermarket or oem "street" head... iron or aluminum ( Eddy, Speed Master, Promax, EQ ect )
3. 600 lift max on cam... rollers allowed to let the magnum block in
4. Any RPM range...if you have the stones to spin it have at it
5. Max horse power/torque per cubic inch calculation FTW

My 2 cents would be....

1. Any production based small block ( 273,318,340,360 )
2. Any non offset rocker aftermarket or oem "street" head... iron or aluminum ( Eddy, Speed Master, Promax, EQ ect )
3. 600 lift max on cam... rollers allowed to let the magnum block in
4. Any RPM range...if you have the stones to spin it have at it
5. Max horse power/torque per cubic inch calculation FTW

I‘d be good with that, except the roller cam deal. As long as it Hydraulic Roller ONLY I’m good with that. I can do a SFT that will kick the crap out of a squish lifter.

I voted for the 360 but I love 340s! back in the seventies as a 19 year old I built a 360 with 340 pistons along the lines of Hoovers Mover!
My dad who was an old retired mechanic that served in the war on aero planes and was a motor bike racer in his early years forbid me to put a regrind cam in it as he said it would destroy all the valve gear angles. He said only a new billet cam would be allowed but in australia it was not just simple in those days to get parts ordered from the US like it is today.
I made my own 4 into 1 headers with just an oxy set and a stick welder and put that high compression 360 together with std cam and a 650 spread bore carb.
First time I took it to the drags it ran 13.7 qtr through the street exhaust with std 3.23 diff and 4 speed manual box.
It was a quick street car for its day!
Later on my brother went to the states and bought me back a 1968 340 and 4 speed, so I built it with forged pistons, six pak carbs and a little home porting and a 292 purple shaft cam. Ran it at the drags only to run 14.2 qtrs.
Well I realized that it now needed a diff ratio change so put a 3.91 ratio in it and it responded with a 13.6 qtr time. The car eventually ran a 13.1 with a set of tall slicks that would of really needed a 4.56 ratio to make the best of it.
That 360 with std factory cam made me realize that if I did the same things as I did with that 340 to the 360 it would be much faster!
Now for the guys that have mentioned about the Aussie Hemi six, there is a guy in WA that has built a stroker crank hemi six to about 290 cubes N/A and is putting out over 550 hp and is still tuning this beast and yes it is just a street car! Another guy has an Aussie Chrysler centura with hemi six running mid seven sec qtrs with a turbo on it and he is an engineer and is building a billet head for it to go even faster. Just google "justa6"

I‘d be good with that, except the roller cam deal. As long as it Hydraulic Roller ONLY I’m good with that. I can do a SFT that will kick the crap out of a squish lifter.
Hydro roller was what I was thinking as well for the magnum block…same 600 lift limit

You will probably lose a couple guys on the offset grinding of cranks being allowed as that is indeed a big benefit that most guys paying to have it done can’t afford ( advantage machine shop guys)

2. Mushroom lifters again a BIG advantage but most simply do it yourself type guys Dont have a set since they are no longer available.
The intention was to allow for proper indexing.

Mushroom lifters are cool and I 've never seen them in action so I thought, someone out there may find an advantage with the flat tapper rule. J.Rob

That’s workable but I’m not understanding the displacement rule exactly.

The rules say 360 block and a 3.58 stroke with up to a .040 offset.

Then it says a bit later any displacement is allowed because of how the results are calculated.

If thats the case, why not allow a 340 block that’s not an X/R/Ritter?

Also, I didn’t see if there was an RPM limit or if the results are calculated from a low RPM to a high RPM determined by the rules ie. 2500-6500 and calculate the results.

Or can you run the RPM up as high as your gut will let you??
The .040" is to allow indexing and undersizing and or a few more or less cubes.

It doesn't say ANY displacement allowed, but if someone builds a re-ringed 5.9 @ 360 ci and another builds a .060" @ 371 the scoring formula takes care of that. 1 ci = about 6 points usually

I will make a change to include the 340 block--I don't have a problem with that.

The RPM range hasn't been decided yet. J.Rob

Depending on the rules, you could do a two step challenge. For example:

Step 1 360
Step 2 same 360 stroked to 408 (perhaps some head/cam mods to account for the increased displacement.
Maybe if this gets off the ground--then yes more varied entries would make sense, but not this time, I wanna keep this simple and straight forward. J.Rob

Respectfully request:
.060" max overbore
NO offset grinding crankshaft
Are Solid Rollers going to be allowed??
You can bore as much as you dare but you need a piston that's available that is NOT custom.

The crank rule is to allow indexing really , which is not some unheard of process.

No solid rollers J.Rob

I like the Speed Master Cylinder Head suggestion allot. It is a baseline upgrade option besides magnums, rare W2's (good luck finding afffordable rockers), rare RHS's, and the latest out of production heads: Engine Quests.
Currently contemplating the pros/cons of this suggestion. J.Rob

My 2 cents would be....

1. Any production based small block ( 273,318,340,360 ) We've already narrowed to 360's this go around.
2. Any non offset rocker aftermarket or oem "street" head... iron or aluminum ( Eddy, Speed Master, Promax, EQ ect ) For sure next time
3. 600 lift max on cam... rollers allowed to let the magnum block in Why put a lift limit? Flat tappets work excellent in the Mag block
4. Any RPM range...if you have the stones to spin it have at it I'm already thinking about 3500-7000rpm
5. Max horse power/torque per cubic inch calculation FTW So Max HP divided by Tq? I don't understand-please explain
Thanks for the comments. J.Rob

Stock cam core, reground to whatever you like.. :)

W2’s aren’t rare.
Affordable is in the eyes of the builder and their pockets.
It’s also a more expensive rocker set than a standard LA but it’s as normal, lay more for better. While the rockers themselves could be made by the same company, they also charge more for off set rockers and units not often made. Often made rockers are cheap. AKA Chevy as an example.

Looking at it another way, do a price comparison.
Go to summit and look up Harland Sharp rockers for the LA and W2. A small increase in price for a far superior off set rocker no pinch rod problem head.

As someone here says…

“Pick your parts - pay your money” (And enjoy the poison”)

-
Back