What size engine for the online/Youtube EC?

What size engine should the Online/Youtube Engine Challenge be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
I am itching to build a small bore big block, but going for max horsepower would make it totally impractical for me to use afterwards.

If the average guy at home (or rookie builder) can not replicate this at home, they’re not going to do a copy cat build. From my point of view, why bother. Agreed

3: With the rules laid out so far and the feeling I’m getting from RAMM, this seems to be more so a competition on the cheap on a friendly basis & not a “Screw you” money drop build fest. Exactly--just wann keep this simple/fun and friendly and get people to "show their stuff"

With the use of OEM heads, power is limited. If someone was to spend money on porting the OEM head, that’s there biz but I don’t see any worth in it when the aftermarket has way better options. Of course home porters can save a big chunk of change on this mod. It’s up to them, the builder as to there worth vs effort and/or money spent. You just convinced me of something. Thanks.

Than a build off with stock heads? I agree.
A cruise around the Bahamas sounds better.
J.Rob

I think a stroked 318 with a 360 crank would be interesting. This would give all those 318 owners an idea of what could be done keeping thier original engine. I am a 340 person and have 3 of them. One original to my 68 FS FB which is under restoration now. Hope to get about 380 HP with a 280/480 Mopar Perf cam and Eddy heads, TTI headers. Dyno'e close to 400 HP with a set of mildly ported X heads, Air Gap, 750 CFM AVS, and 10.25:1 pistons at +0.020 (I never bore a block more than needed!). That was at 5800 feet and altitude corrected to STP.

I think a stroked 318 with a 360 crank would be interesting. This would give all those 318 owners an idea of what could be done keeping thier original engine. I am a 340 person and have 3 of them. One original to my 68 FS FB which is under restoration now. Hope to get about 380 HP with a 280/480 Mopar Perf cam and Eddy heads, TTI headers. Dyno'e close to 400 HP with a set of mildly ported X heads, Air Gap, 750 CFM AVS, and 10.25:1 pistons at +0.020 (I never bore a block more than needed!). That was at 5800 feet and altitude corrected to STP.
Unless you're able to go to 4.00" You will have a hard time with the NO custom piston rule. I'm trying to keep this affordable. J.Rob

Now allowing the;
Edelbrock 60179 head and the
Speedmaster PCE 281.1654

Correct?

Porting OK?

Thanks RAMM

Only positives about a 273 or 318 build is that if it blew to pieces ...no one would give a ****.
Yup. Its the guys on the cheap wanting to act like they have something special that amazes me these days. I had a guy telling me X and J heads are mediocre junk .I said compared to todays technolgy sure, but to the resto crowd who want a period correct car they are worth something . A Summit catalog build racer engine doesn't bring much at Mecum or Barrett Jackson. Everyone is a bench racer on the internet I am finding that out fast, but go to your local track and see what the crowd actually look like at test and tune. Your low buck 318 guy isn't showing up every Friday night to run his car at $50 a pop. I also pointed out that TA heads are J castings... if he goes around telling folks they are Junk a layman may toss away valuable TA heads or give them away to a knowing resto guy. LOL! There is a guy on YT with a Duster with a 360 with J heads and he runs high 12s in the 1/4 with it. Not many tricks. I beleive that's respectable for a car in street trim. He may have 15 inch tires on the back but no tubs. These cars have always been tunable like that. Buy them tweak them and they are competetive in an early 70s speed criteria. When you figure Fox Mustangs were 15 second cars new in the mid 80s high 12s in a 15 year old Duster was something.

Last edited:
A Moparts member is using flat washers for valve spring shims so I’m thinking you could probably plug weld some flat washers on the bottom of a solid lifter and turn them into mushroom tappets. My mind is exploding with new ideas.

Last edited:
Scary ideas, not that I don’t like the thinking though.

The rules keep changing.
The FAST rules would be really competitive, a true test of ability.

Will be interesting. I see it whittling down to pro racers and machine shop engine builder guys in terms of being competitive. I may have to sit back and watch :)

Yup. Its the guys on the cheap wanting to act like they have something special that amazes me these days. I had a guy telling me X and J heads are mediocre junk .I said compared to todays technolgy sure, but to the resto crowd who want a period correct car they are worth something . A Summit catalog build racer engine doesn't bring much at Mecum or Barrett Jackson. Everyone is a bench racer on the internet I am finding that out fast, but go to your local track and see what the crowd actually look like at test and tune. Your low buck 318 guy isn't showing up every Friday night to run his car at $50 a pop. I also pointed out that TA heads are J castings... if he goes around telling folks they are Junk a layman may toss away valuable TA heads or give them away to a knowing resto guy. LOL! There is a guy on YT with a Duster with a 360 with J heads and he runs high 12s in the 1/4 with it. Not many tricks. I beleive that's respectable for a car in street trim. He may have 15 inch tires on the back but no tubs. These cars have always been tunable like that. Buy them tweak them and they are competetive in an early 70s speed criteria. When you figure Fox Mustangs were 15 second cars new in the mid 80s high 12s in a 15 year old Duster was something.
The good thing about drag racing is that a guy who has iron heads can have as much fun at the track as the guy with alloy heads. It just depends on your motivation..

The good thing about drag racing is that a guy who has iron heads can have as much fun at the track as the guy with alloy heads. It just depends on your motivation.
Very true. While most iron heads are limited (OEM) you can still have fun. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.
Will be interesting. I see it whittling down to pro racers and machine shop engine builder guys in terms of being competitive. I may have to sit back and watch :)
Yes I do think it will be interesting but if I join in, I’m not going to be worried about what pro pops in. If I get whooped, and probably will, I won’t care. It’s for fun. Im just an average smuck building an engine and putting it to the test. I’ll try and NOT over think it. Otherwise it’ll be turd and embarrassing. But that’s the risk now isn’t it? Or is that the issue?

I’ll look at it this way. If I’m in this and my engine doesn’t perform as expected or at all (as in a pathetic showing) I can at least learn from a pro pointing out what an idiot I am. In this, I’ll be less likely to repeat the process.

I say come one come all! Have some fun and test your brain on an engine combo and let it rip!

Very true. While most iron heads are limited (OEM) you can still have fun. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Yes I do think it will be interesting but if I join in, I’m not going to be worried about what pro pops in. If I get whooped, and probably will, I won’t care. It’s for fun. Im just an average smuck building an engine and putting it to the test. I’ll try and NOT over think it. Otherwise it’ll be turd and embarrassing. But that’s the risk now isn’t it? Or is that the issue?

I’ll look at it this way. If I’m in this and my engine doesn’t perform as expected or at all (as in a pathetic showing) I can at least learn from a pro pointing out what an idiot I am. In this, I’ll be less likely to repeat the process.

I say come one come all! Have some fun and test your brain on an engine combo and let it rip!
A friend of mine likes the Ford stuff. He's running a Fontana block , big roller, blah, blah, blah..Goes good.
Anyway he still also plays with the 351C with cast iron, 2V closed chamber heads.
He enjoys either, especially when he spanks some of the cars with more modern tech.

-
Back