What the heck is going on here?!

-

75Dart440

Reaction score
thats the way it is with tube arms. gotta trim that section and modify the bumpstop if you still want to use it.

Nothing like a Part, a Vehicle, or a System that requires YOU to work around THEIR lack of design! You'd think that for the Premium price, something that basic would be included.

Man that really sucks. Aparently their R&D department didn't do their job that well.
Unless it has to do with the strength and that's why it's designed that way.

Nothing like a Part, a Vehicle, or a System that requires YOU to work around THEIR lack of design! You'd think that for the Premium price, something that basic would be included.

Man that really sucks. Aparently their R&D department didn't do their job that well.
Unless it has to do with the strength and that's why it's designed that way.

so how would you design a TUBE upper arm to clear that little tab and us the bump stop??

That's common for ALL aftermarket tubular upper control arms. I've had RMS and Firm Feel and had to trim that small area. It's rather easy. Use a die grinder to trim it up nicely.:)

If I was the CEO, I'd tell my Engineers to do it. That's why they get paid. If it cost more, then I'd charge more, or at the very least, give the buyer some heads-up about the issue.

Technically, just seeing the photos, a bit of a recesss, or more likely slight arc around the tab would work (I know this introduces a potential stress point, but it can be addressed metallurgically (& no, I don't know how, but do know that it can be done). Maybe the bar bows slightly away.

Point is -it can be done. I may not know how, you may not know how. But if you're paying a lot extra for something, then you deserve better consideration than no answer at all, or "oh yeah, that's your problem". That's the reason why we have to bail out crappy companies like GM (...& Chrysler twice).

BTW, by trimming down that corner (which reinforces the mounting for the Cam bolt, isn't it slightly (or more) defeating the purpose of having a beefier A-Arm?

What I mean is that (presumably) that corner is there to help with the strength of an area pretty critical to maintaining alignment. Maybe it's just a little trim here...but then you have to do it on both sides. Then, maybe you have to do it on all for corners. Perhaps that lack of thought is engineered into more of the part, or system....then maybe after a while, your handling gets nickled-n-dimed to death.

Maybe that's an overkill scenario, but bad design adds up. Why do you have to pay for it?

When you trim the piece that is interfering, hold on to it and flip it around to the outside or the travel area and weld it to the bracket. You will keep the rigitity of the bracket. Then patent it and start selling a good bracket for other folks!

(so how would you design a TUBE upper arm to clear that little tab and us the bump stop?? )

Maybe I should as long as I'm laid off. Maybe I could become rich.:D
But then I don't have company money to do it. Besides that's what they get paid the big bucks for.

And as I said it probable has to do with strength.

Never understood the attraction of these tubular uca's.
Every story has been a nightmare, ie snapping,driving into ditches ect.
And now you have to grind away for them to fit ?
No thanks, not for me, I'll stick to factory here.
Just cant see them giving a 40 yr old car that much advantage.

Unless they told you some modifications were necessary, I would send them back.

if you guys have such an issue trimming that little piece off and not being able to use the bump stop then just keep the stock arms on and be done with it. see how simple that was..:)

you always had to trim that little section off.

and the only ones i have ever heard of breaking were the cap garbage.

I've got an origional set from Magnum Force on my car. I did not have to trim anything to install them. As far as the bump stop goes I got an aftermarket one that is flat and wide. You could always email pst with your concerns, but you will probably grow old and die before they respond.

When you trim the piece that is interfering, hold on to it and flip it around to the outside or the travel area and weld it to the bracket. You will keep the rigitity of the bracket. Then patent it and start selling a good bracket for other folks!

...you would think that PST would get wise & use this as an opportunity to improve profit like good companies do.

Ryan, you'd better file for that patent, there's at least a few guys here who might want that bracket.

I've got an origional set from Magnum Force on my car. I did not have to trim anything to install them. As far as the bump stop goes I got an aftermarket one that is flat and wide. You could always email pst with your concerns, but you will probably grow old and die before they respond.

Apparently Magnum Force has done their homework for us Moparians.
If I ever wanted Tubular Arms, I'd check them.

BTW, mrCuda68, you beat me to the punch - I've been mulling over an 'elliptical' connection onto the bushing tube. The 'flat & wide' idea seems to be in the same vein.

if you guys have such an issue trimming that little piece off and not being able to use the bump stop then just keep the stock arms on and be done with it. see how simple that was..:)

And, believe it or not - that's probably the best solution of all! At least for me.

Most of us don't really need Tubular UCAs, but there are many that do.
BTW, ABodyJoe, I will concede, that, by the look of your Dart, you know a lot more about suspensions than me, so don't think I'm being disrespectful. I just have a pssion for design & get nuts when I see solutions being dismissed, or worse, ignored. I know, b/c I've done it & I always regret it.

And, believe it or not - that's probably the best solution of all! At least for me.

Most of us don't really need Tubular UCAs, but there are many that do.
BTW, ABodyJoe, I will concede, that, by the look of your Dart, you know a lot more about suspensions than me, so don't think I'm being disrespectful. I just have a pssion for design & get nuts when I see solutions being dismissed, or worse, ignored. I know, b/c I've done it & I always regret it.

i doubt that. i don't know much about it myself. but i do know that cutting that little piece isn't a problem. my car has had tube arms with that section cut since like 2005 and i have beat the hell out of the car since then and there have been no issues at all.

and i sure didn't take anything as disrespectful.

ok guys so I went ahead and cut that piece out (see picture below). I installed and removed a number of times to get it just right so that I could move the control arm up and down full range of motion with no contact. sounds good right? So I put it all back together and when I started moving the adjusting cams to set the camber caster IT STILL MAKES CONTACT! on the inner wall of the forward arm where I just cut metal out of. Im pissed off and ready to drive to PST and throw them through their front door! Has anybody had any similar issues with these? my car is 1975 Dart sport.

View attachment IMG00399-20110705-1851.jpg

ok guys so I went ahead and cut that piece out (see picture below). I installed and removed a number of times to get it just right so that I could move the control arm up and down full range of motion with no contact. sounds good right? So I put it all back together and when I started moving the adjusting cams to set the camber caster IT STILL MAKES CONTACT! on the inner wall of the forward arm where I just cut metal out of. Im pissed off and ready to drive to PST and throw them through their front door! Has anybody had any similar issues with these? my car is 1975 Dart sport.

View attachment 247972

you need to trim the "L" all the way to the frame rail...

Man I am with you.

i doubt that. i don't know much about it myself. but i do know that cutting that little piece isn't a problem. my car has had tube arms with that section cut since like 2005 and i have beat the hell out of the car since then and there have been no issues at all.

and i sure didn't take anything as disrespectful.

Hey Joe,how about a pic of your mod.Might help him out.Thankssssssss

you need to trim the "L" all the way to the frame rail...

Not trying to start a pissing match, but dam. You do that and there goes the weld. Looks to me like you will be severly compromising the strength of that area.

Not trying to start a pissing match, but dam. You do that and there goes the weld. Looks to me like you will be severly compromising the strength of that area.

You can gusset that area in a couple different ways very easily in less than 10 minutes. Only thing is you need to have a welder or know someone who does.

-
Back